What pistions to raise comp ratio?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I'm looking to order a set of pistions from summit and I'm not sure what to get.

I have a stock 1976 360 that has not been machined, so stock deck height.

I have a comp cams
CL20-600-4
And I would like to be in the 10 to 1 area.

Not looking at forged due to the cost.

Any ideas on the compression height I should be looking At?

Thanks.

You have to determine the cylinder head combustion chamber volume first. 65'

Call Randy at RaceTec...they will build anything you need in a 4032 aluminum under $500.00...

Open chamber 360s are 76-78 CC's... You'll have an impossible task to get 10-1 with those heads and having the pistons so far down the hole... You will need a dome. Imho.

I'm looking to order a set of pistions from summit and I'm not sure what to get.

I have a stock 1976 360 that has not been machined, so stock deck height.

I have a comp cams
CL20-600-4
And I would like to be in the 10 to 1 area.

Not looking at forged due to the cost.

Any ideas on the compression height I should be looking At?

Thanks.
60cc?
KB232 , quench milled off to -.010 with a .039 head gasket, it'll get you close to 10 with a 3.58 stroke.

Last edited:
What head are you using that has a 60cc chamber?

Ummm, Magnum heads at 60cc’s?

The FM h116p slugs are just like the KB 107’s and will most likely be in the hole a wee bit to much. A domed slug would help take up the space but still may not be at the right height to do much of anything positive for the Situation.

To the OP, ideally, a 10-1 ratio can be obtained with the Fed-Mougal h116p or the KB 107 if the deck can be milled down a little bit. It probably won’t take much.

Last edited:
The kb107 with 60cc chambers puts you into 11.1 static.
The kb232 with .040 milled off quench pad, giving you .010 above deck with a .039 gasket with give you about 9.8ish static.
Mill .010 off the heads as well ...and you're there.

Or just spend for a custom piston that needs nothing but rings put on it and hung on a rod.

Or you could run a stock style piston and be in the 9:1 range and actually drive the thing everyday on pump gas. Just a thought.

The kb107 with 60cc chambers puts you into 11.1 static.
The kb232 with .040 milled off quench pad, giving you .010 above deck with a .039 gasket with give you about 9.8ish static.
Mill .010 off the heads as well ...and you're there.

Or just spend for a custom piston that needs nothing but rings put on it and hung on a rod.
Thanks for the correction!
Or you could run a stock style piston and be in the 9:1 range and actually drive the thing everyday on pump gas. Just a thought.
That’s making sense....
I have been driving my stock ‘03 - 5.9 Magnum everywhere! Works excellent on 89.

Just for the OP to note:
- KB232's require some milling of the top of the piston with closed chamber heads like is sounds you have (as YR noted 2x). But you will be able to get a good quench gap to help fight any tendencies for detonation.
- KB232's won't balance with the stock rotating assembly so that will have to be done; they are not too far off but will need a touch-up on the crank/damper/flywheel area to be in balance (Stock piston + pin weight is around 752 grams, and the KB232's are about 10 grams under this, though a .030" oversize will have a few grams more weight).
- Everything else mentioned will require a re-balance.... just so you will be aware.
- Icon 742's will get you right at 10.0:1 SCR with no milling using a .051" thick standard Felpro gasket, but are over $660 for a set.

By my calculation the KB 107 will put me at 10.88 to 1. Add in some cam over lap and I should be around 10.5 to 1?
I don' mind running 91 fuel as I don' drive the car much.

Thoughts?

Nice slug. Used those in the wife’s 360.

By my calculation the KB 107 will put me at 10.88 to 1. Add in some cam over lap and I should be around 10.5 to 1?

Thoughts?
You are about right on the static CR (SCR), with your reported head chamber volume and a .039" thick head gasket (Felpro 1008). May I ask if you are sure on the head chamber volume? Are these indeed Magnum heads? Any chance they are aluminum? The material pretty critical to this discussion....

BUT..... there seems to be some misconceptions creeping in here on the cam parameters and compression ratio. What you ultimately care about is dynamic compression ratio, DCR. DCR is a result of SCR, cam duration (not overlap) and things like altitude. Shooting for a DCR in the high 7's with iron heads is pretty safe. 91 octane will probably limit you to that (although a skilled tuner could probably run with a bit higher DCR on 91). If you exceed the DCR limit, you start to run into the serious problems of detonation.

Being at your high altitude in western NV will help, and is perhaps why you are working towards a higher SCR? Some calculation examples:
-At sea level and a common 268 cam with an SCR or 10.8, then your DCR is around 8.7-8.8; too high.
- At 6000' ft and the same situation, DCR is now 7.6..... ah, that's much better. Good n' torquey.
- Your selected Thumpr cam should be within a tenth of this DCR.

So as long as you stay in that NV locale, you're OK. But don't drive over to Sacramento unless you back down the ignition timing... a bunch... and find some av gas to blend in!

Just for grins.... I also ran numbers with a .028" thick head gasket, so that the quench gap with closed chamber heads is down near to .040", and you are getting some real benefit from quench. SCR is now 11.1, and DCR is 7.8 at 6000'. Still quite doable, and the quench effect would be an added help in fighting detonation. (I know I would do that......)

And you can play with cam duration to put it where you like.

Those KB107's are for sure going to require a rebalance.

Thoughts?
I've run those KB107s since 1999. I run them up .005 out of the holes, and with the small Eddie heads., and with an old Hughes 230*FTH cam . It came in at 10.9Scr with the .039FellPros, and IIRC gets me 180 psi
Static compression ratio of 10.9:1.
Effective stroke is 2.79 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 8.72:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 178.73 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 153...............................................153
The Q came in at .033 plus minus .002.
I run this with a manual trans with a3.09 low gear and 3.55s. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Tons and tons of torque at any legal speed, and plenty of power, and goes 93 in the 1/8th.
Oh yeah, and it has never burned a drop of anything but 87E10. So next time,lol I'm pumping it up to 200 psi, and let that buck!

You can do the same thing with the pistons down in the holes,( I think the 107s came in at .011 down) and run .020 gaskets That will get you a Q around .031, and so a tiny bit more compression. And you can run a 223cam for even more down-low torque, and yet more pressure. and only lose a bit of top-rpm power, where you only ever go once or twice, every now and then.
I ran this for awhile, maybe 3 years until it dropped lobes;
Static compression ratio of 10.98:1.
Effective stroke is 2.85 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 8.94:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 184.55 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 161..............................................161
This too ran on 87E10 exclusively with 34* timing in at 3400 rpm, and 28* at 2800.
I ran 750DPs on both of them. 93 in the 1/8 translates to 403 hp in the qtr. My 367 cannot possibly have that much power. I don't believe that for a second. The bulletin book expects me to have a 4 speed and probably 4.30s. to hit that forcasted 115. So then it would expect me to run
first up to 45, and then second to 63, and then third to 86, and then drag 4th to 93, finishing at 4970 way off the power
But My GVOD splitter pulls
first up to 44, then first-over to 56, then second to 71, and tops out at 93 =6150 in second-over. Pow!
But I digress.
I'm at 950 ft and I did not enter that into the calcs.
I put the Eddies on OOTB, And some say that is dangerous, but the point is they were un-ported, Both of these cams were installed with the Hughes 1111 springs and both cams pulled hard into the upper 6000s, and most of the time,they have been shifted at 7000/7200. I only run there, cuz the tires never stop spinning, and she sounds outrageous thru the TTIs and dual full length 3" pipes with the Long Dynomaxers. Outrageous I tell you. You gotta build it just to let her sing at 7200! I got over 100,000 miles on that engine now, and the last time out, it was to-the-pin!, business as usual.
You will have to do some oil-system mods to make your rod bearings live at these rpms but they are no big deal to do. I run a 7 qt pan with 5 or 6 qts in it, never more than 6, except the time I went to the track, then I topped her up. You will have to get the stuff balanced, no question about it.
The 223* cam will pull any rear gear........a-n-y gear. I ran it with 2.76s for awhile, and it just lit up the 275s like nothing.I ran that combo with almost every rear gear you can imagine; from 2.76,2.94,3.23,3.55,3.91,4.11,4.30,4.88,and 5.38,. I had 'em, so sue me.
Eventually, I got me a GVOD and ran the 4.30s for like 2 summers. Then I got me a 3.09low/ not od gearset and 3.55s.This has been my favorite now for many many years. I run the GVOD as a splitter which makes it incredibly versatile. You can't touch it with an automatic...in the 1/8th. It's one pull on the stick, and two electric shifts, for a total of 4 ratios, 3.09-2.41-1.92-1.50. You can't touch that!That unit shifts so fast and so hard, I had to take the CFII disc out and install a regular 340 factory disc. No they don't live that long, but stuff doesn't break behind it any more either. It was still too harsh for me and so I shimmed the PP away from the Flywheel to where the hit was much softer below 3000. But When I spin it up,the flyweights take over, and, it's still BAM! and the tires never top spinning at any legal limit. Yeah BFG or Cobras, 295/50-15s,same shite.

You can't go wrong with your recipe, just build it!
oh yeah,
The VP of 161 is a tic higher than what a 69 440 Magnum will math out to.FYI.

Last edited:
-
Back