What setup will work?

-

Firedart

Reaction score
I have come across a 85 ram charger with a 360. My question is would this motor work in my 70 swinger? also any help with transmission rearend combo would be great. I have the 318 904 7 1/4 set up now that isn't in the car. I want a street strip car. Trying to figure out which is my best route for doing this. I want to be able to drive the car on weekends not daily driver or anything just a fun toy.

The 360 will work just fine with the proper rebuild. You will need to convert the motor mount brackets on the frame to spool type mounts, not a big deal. The 904 will work but should be rebuilt with better internals. The rear you are looking for is a 8 3/4 but a 8 1/4 will do as long as you are not planning more than 450 hp. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a rebuilt tranny from one of the big shops than to have one rebuilt.

Jack

The 360 will work just fine with the proper rebuild. You will need to convert the motor mount brackets on the frame to spool type mounts, not a big deal. T

Say WHUT?

What you NEED is the proper engine brackets that go with the car body, year make model, that you are putting it in. You do NOT need to convert to spool mounts

You will need a car 360 pan, and either a weighted 360 converter, or a BM weighted flex plate for the 360

I will drop in minus the oil pan. I would use the 904 with what you have so you don't have to have a driveshaft made. I would also get the B&M 360 flex plate so you don't have to spend big $ for a weighted converter for the 360. I would rob the engine with all acc's,trans and driveshaft for cutting down later if it's any good. That's about all you can use on a car.

What he said ^. You can use the mounts you have and just add some washers and longer bolts for 2 on the block side. If you use the 727 you will have to find 727 linkage for an a body. I'd stick with using what you have and save some cash and sell off the extra's.

You will need a stronger axle than a 7 1/4" for a 360...

Say WHUT?

What you NEED is the proper engine brackets that go with the car body, year make model, that you are putting it in. You do NOT need to convert to spool mounts

You will need a car 360 pan, and either a weighted 360 converter, or a BM weighted flex plate for the 360

I was under the impression that the 85 Ramchargers came with spool mounts And that it would be a nice and cheap upgrade to convert the Dart to spool mounts. Forgive me if I'm wrong, we are not all perfect.

Jack

I'd keep the 904. They are lighter and take up less power than a 727. I have a 904 with pretty much just a shift kit behind a 425 ish HP 360 and it's just fine.

But yeah, the 7 1/4 has to go, those break by looking at them too hard lol

-
Back