what size SBP wheels can we fit under a rear 1963 fender?

-

whitebomber63

Reaction score
would a 15 x 8 even fit in the rear?? someone school me so i don't buy the wrong size rims lol. :)

valiant63.jpg

15x7 with a 4 1/4" backspace. You probably won't be able to fit a 15x8 without offsetting the springs and rolling the fender lip.

Yep, What Mike said. Ran 225/60/15 tires,15x7x4 1/4 backspace on my 63.Stock rear springs. Tires rubbed during tight corners with 4 people in the car. 2 people no problem.
Made by Stockton Wheel.
IMG_0207.jpg
IMG_0209.jpg

If you are lucky 15x8 may fit. I put 15x8 with zero offset and 245/60R15s on one car and they cleared with 1/2" clearance both sides and 1/2" to the springs both sides. No rubbing with plus 1" rear springs. Tried the same wheels and tires on one of my other cars and they were about 1/4" from the fender well on one side and about 3/8" on the other side. Would have rubbed for sure. Guess the fenderwells are a bit wider on one and narrower on the other. So with luck 8" could fit, but don't count on it.

If you are lucky 15x8 may fit. I put 15x8 with zero offset and 245/60R15s on one car and they cleared with 1/2" clearance both sides and 1/2" to the springs both sides. No rubbing with plus 1" rear springs. Tried the same wheels and tires on one of my other cars and they were about 1/4" from the fender well on one side and about 3/8" on the other side. Would have rubbed for sure. Guess the fenderwells are a bit wider on one and narrower on the other. So with luck 8" could fit, but don't count on it.
There's probably a few that have done it I bet. I thought I could with my 66 Dart if I could split the gaps with a special offset or some spacers. I didn't want to roll the fender lip. It's a GT car with wheel opening moldings. A little more tricky rolling the lips and you ruin the moldings.

1964 Dodge Dart with 235/60/15 on 6'' factory steel wheels that I believe are a 3 3/4 backspace. Plenty of room.
IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg

thanks for all the info guys, think i am gonna go with the 14 x 7 to be safe. anyone else that has been through this song and dance before feel free to enlightening me. :)

thanks for all the info guys, think i am gonna go with the 14 x 7 to be safe. anyone else that has been through this song and dance before feel free to enlightening me. :)
You can't go wrong with 7's. They look good and work without issues.

001b.JPG

014 (2).JPG

Those are stock 14x5.5's
what size on the rear?? any rear modifiations on that car?? think i might get the 15x7 and raise the car a little bit if i need to... i have coil overs on the rear so i think it might be alittler higher in rear then stock not exactly sure... gonna talk to a friend that has a wheel shop and see if he has anything same size to test fit.

seems like there is lots of clearance there hard to tell with the tiny little stock wheels.
anyone know what the stock ride height was on these in 1963?
valiant.jpg

As info, I just mounted up my new set of 15" steelies. Fronts are 15x6, 3.75 BS, tire 215/65/15. They fit but it rubs a little bit at full lock to the right. Not a big deal, I can always back off a hair on a tight right-hand turn if needed. This could easily be just a function of a completely worn out front end that hasn't been rebuilt yet. The rears are 15x7, 4.25 BS, 245/60/15 tires. It fits, but it's all the tire I can get under there with stock suspension and no mods. Clearance in the rear is 1/2" to the spring, and I can get slide my hand fully between the outer tire edge and the fender. I'll get a better picture later if you need one, but here's what they look like.

20190630_153257.jpg

As info, I just mounted up my new set of 15" steelies. Fronts are 15x6, 3.75 BS, tire 215/65/15. They fit but it rubs a little bit at full lock to the right. Not a big deal, I can always back off a hair on a tight right-hand turn if needed. This could easily be just a function of a completely worn out front end that hasn't been rebuilt yet. The rears are 15x7, 4.25 BS, 245/60/15 tires. It fits, but it's all the tire I can get under there with stock suspension and no mods. Clearance in the rear is 1/2" to the spring, and I can get slide my hand fully between the outer tire edge and the fender. I'll get a better picture later if you need one, but here's what they look like.

View attachment 1715357433
Looks good. Ya a fresh set of springs would probably help.

what size on the rear?? any rear modifiations on that car?? think i might get the 15x7 and raise the car a little bit if i need to... i have coil overs on the rear so i think it might be alittler higher in rear then stock not exactly sure... gonna talk to a friend that has a wheel shop and see if he has anything same size to test fit.
15x7 with a 4 1/2" back space. No modifications. Pics of your coil overs?

Looks good. Ya a fresh set of springs would probably help.

Yeah, I agree. Not to hijack the thread, but it's getting a fully rebuilt 8-3/4 and a new set of springs. I expect the rear to come up a bit, those are the original 7-1/4 and springs in there now.

Now back to our regularly scheduled info for the OP!!

15x7 with a 4 1/2" back space. No modifications. Pics of your coil overs?
ill grab a picture of them next time i see the car, it is sitting at my parents house in the valley. don't want the salt air to get to it down here near the beach.
i remember they were just something cheap coil overs, can't remember exactly the brand.

View attachment 1715357433
this helps a ton thanks!

i have 15x7 4.25bs with a 205/70r15 tire in the rear of my 64 dart. No issues even at full compression. Front is a different story

I used to have a 63 Valiant Signet that I put a cop car F body 8 1/4 rear end under and I had 15 x 7 in cop car wheels with 15 by 8 in Slick's on the back. They barely fit and I had to roll the wheel lip.

-
Back