What spark plug?

-
Stock Champs. Performance rides get a step or two cooler, application dependent.

Wouldn't run champions in my lawnmower:thumbdow::thumbdow:

Wouldn't run champions in my lawnmower:thumbdow::thumbdow:

That's funny cause I wouldn't run auto lights in anything except the trash can.

Which stock champs are you using?
Thanks

What do you mean which "Stock" plug. The engine you have should only use one plug number. Perhaps a performance version of the engine has a cooler plug by a number or two, but that's about it.

Actual stock OE numbers are no longer made, but when you go to the AP store, they'll cross ref the old numbers to the new numbers. The new number contains part of the old numbers. There also resistor plugs now.

I trying to find out what other people are using because my engine is not stock:
84 360 block
speed-pro pistons 9.5cr
comp 280H cam
73 547 heads non smog
air-gap w/750 3310 carb.

some 340/360 used N-9Y, N-12Y, RN-12Y
Thanks

Personally, I run Champs in all my Mopars and my wife's Hyundai (OE for that, too). The Ford gets Motorcraps. Seen too many autolites fail over the years for stupid stuff like cracked porcelines after just a few hundred miles. You gave us the mechanicals of the engine, but not the electricals. What ignition are you running?

MP electronic ign. with MSD 8.5 super conductor wires(suppression) and stock coil.

Seems to me any stock range plug or one that's on the cooler side like rumble suggested would work with that set up. From here on out looks like the thread is going to turn into a "my dad can beat up your dad" kind of thing. But as for autolites, really, I've run 'em in brand x and replaced them within a few hundred miles. I like NGK for European brands as they were OE in most of 'em, especially the new iridiums, but that's a bit over kill with a fairly stock ignition system, not running 30Kv-50Kv through each COP.

I trying to find out what other people are using because my engine is not stock:
84 360 block
speed-pro pistons 9.5cr
comp 280H cam
73 547 heads non smog
air-gap w/750 3310 carb.

some 340/360 used N-9Y, N-12Y, RN-12Y
Thanks

Now I wish you said that n the first place! LOL ha ha ha ha.......

Run the RN12YC.

One thing I noticed is some prefur a plug over another one for what ever reason, but what ever runs best in your ride will be best in your ride. Not all engines like the same plug manufacturer, er ur ,,,,,,,,,,
Ahhh ummmmm .....:sign10:

:angry7:

I like the Champs and that's what I find works best. After them, the GM plug works fine as well.

Stupid question?
How do I determine if a plug is one step colder than another?

numbers. 12 normal hot, 11 cooler, 10 cold, 9 frezzeing, LOL. But that's how it goes.

Stupid question?
How do I determine if a plug is one step colder than another?

American plugs are colder as the number gets lower.

Japanese plugs such as NGK or ND work the opposite. The higher the number the colder the plug. Not sure how Bosch does it but I'm sure a quick check on the manufactures web site will give you any info you need.

For the record, I'm using Autolite 43's on my last build. If I were using large doses of N2o I would run 42's, stock is 44.

Bbeep71, you are not running enough compression to have to run a colder than stock plug.

Autolite 66

Don't really have a reason of running them.... they was in my car when I bought it so I bought a new set when my new motor was installed.

Arh!

Thanks Ramcharger! And good advice as well.

Japanese plugs such as NGK or ND work the opposite. The higher the number the colder the plug. Not sure how Bosch does it but I'm sure a quick check on the manufactures web site will give you any info you need.

For the record, I'm using Autolite 43's on my last build. If I were using large doses of N2o I would run 42's, stock is 44.

Bbeep71, you are not running enough compression to have to run a colder than stock plug.

Exactly! I've always run the standard plug, or the hottest plug I can get away with. I like Nippondenso because of the U groove. More sharp edges the better. And if you look closely at Accel plugs you will see they are made by ND (or at least they were years ago). I also had good luck with Autolites in the past.

Thanks Ram :thumrigh:

-
Back