What will it run with new convertor? Guess

-
What rpm have you been launching at?
What do you plan for rpm with the new converter?

Thanks for all the responses,I will be running it tomorrow.
Just got off work !!!
The car has 60' issues. It's roughly .2 slow right now for the 1/4 MPH. If the 60' comes around the car could pick up as much as .75 second or better. It could go as good as 13.00 or better when sorted out as it sits. The converter should pick it up in the front half. It runs pretty good on the back half.

If it got to the 1.8's or better in 60's a high 13 is capable. Then it's off to wittle it down. Timing, jetting, squirters all that fun stuff. Get the front end as loose as possible to transfer weight. Abodybomber has a good set of numbers to hope for in this case. If you get over 100 MPH, that's a 13.20 or better in a solid chassis.
Definitely has 60' issues and like you and others have said it needs more tuning and no doubt there.
I have spent little time with my car as I wanted too and always knew the convertor is one of my problems.This car comes on strong half way thru first and holds it to the end.

What do you have for a fuel system?
Do you know how much fuel pressure you have thru the traps?
Needs to be around 6LBS.
This could be why the MPH is down.
Not enough fuel pressure isn't always identified by stumbles or high speed engine miss.
An engine could just lay over.

The convertor will for sure give the bottom end a boost, if the tires hold.

I'm thinking 13.90's & 60ft in the 2.00 range.
I hear you,I running hi performance mechanical fuel pump and have a fuel gauge and have not installed it.

Something isn't right that car should be quicker...have a friend with a '70 dart "smog motor" 318 stock bottom-end .477 cam j heads 1.88/1.60 valves weiand dual-plane intake edelbrock 600 carb headers dual exhaust..has been 13.75
Agreed but I am correcting previous owner build and I like all of you all input...
I started this thread because I thought it would be fun to guess the outcome of just the convertor swap and in return get a lot of helpful input to get my car there.

I said basically the same thing in post 2, but was told 75 mph trap speed is "moving" for what it is. No point in pointing out I have been 8.90s with a smog 318 and a OPEN 3:23 rear on street tires, in a duster. Oh well, he will pick up if he keeps tuneing on it.
Agreed but I still think convertor should of been put in from the start!

Post #5

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=224050

It doesn't take gear and a bunch of other stuff to run in the 12's and high 100's mph with an auto. It takes a good converter and chassis. Post #10

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=154106

I drove all the time with an 8" converter on the street. 28" tire, 3.23-4.56's depending on car. Use a large plate style cooler and go if concerned with heat. Converters are not the mush rings they used to be.

I agree that something is off with the current set up, especially down low. Timing, pump shot, launch method. I'd expect the build to make at least 375hp/400ish tq. Should be good for a mid 12 at high 100's mph even at 3500#.
Sure is !!!
I was expecting my very first run to be where I am now and with tuning to be in the 13's...First run was 15.08
Do you have an A/F meter?

Take some jets with you and I'd jet it down from stock if it has 70-72 F/R. It may be really fat which would hinder the car from accelerating.
I will be ordering them soon ...A/F meter and jets.
It is rich !!!

What rpm have you been launching at?
What do you plan for rpm with the new converter?
2500 rpm and need to adjust my brakes to hold more.
May do a few launch at idle to see what she does.
Going to go tomorrow,less of a crowd !!!

Do you know what's in the carb now for jetting?

Find someone, anyone that has jets both 2 and 4 sizes smaller than what's in there now. Any old holley carbs laying around you can swipe jets from.

Closed chambered especially quench stuff usually doesn't like more than 34* of total timing.

Between timing and jetting alone, it could be off 50hp... DAMHIK!!!
Had an engine that was 1 point rich on jetting, 35 hp gain at peak when it was right. 4 degrees off in timing 15 hp. That alone is worth a LOT of real estate covered at the track.

You'll get it sorted out.

Find someone, anyone that has jets both 2 and 4 sizes smaller than what's in there now. Any old holley carbs laying around you can swipe jets from.

Closed chambered especially quench stuff usually doesn't like more than 34* of total timing.

Had an engine that was 1 point rich on jetting, 35 hp gain at peak when it was right. 4 degrees off in timing 15 hp. That alone is worth a LOT of real estate covered at the track.

Great comment, C.B...

Replicaracer
Maybe I was unclear. At 96ish in the quarter, that teener is moving, and shows that the combo is making a good power to weight ratio.
At 75 in the 1/8, you would be right, its a bit lazy. But the OP is taking steps to remedy that.
Sorry if I came off as other than helpful.

My shop was real busy today and I am one mechanic down,got nothing done on the dart,and it was raining off and on...
I got all morning tomorrow and I do have a friend with some jets.

View attachment 67212_specs.jpg
I get my best work behind closed doors,I do got emission machine for tail pipe cars for state inspection...I can read HC and C2O...duh...
Will see how much I can get done before 3pm !!!
Just hope the rain goes away.

Best of luck!!!! Sounds like fun, I had planned to go to the strip, but work had other plans... lol

Replicaracer
Maybe I was unclear. At 96ish in the quarter, that teener is moving, and shows that the combo is making a good power to weight ratio.
At 75 in the 1/8, you would be right, its a bit lazy. But the OP is taking steps to remedy that.
Sorry if I came off as other than helpful.

Hey no problem, no offense takin by me. I have only ever run 1/8th mile, so the 1/4 mile numbers I don't think about as much. I do think the convertor is going to help quite a bit, I am guessing is it ends up 60 footing about 1.8 or so and running 8:90 or so, at about 78 MPH.... not sure what 1/4 mile would be like.

Yes it did get rained out,waited till 7 pm outside the gate...I will run it next weekend.

Attachments

• rained out.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 193
What rpm are you shifting at? With that cam and heads I would think you should be shifting around 6500 or more. My magnum 5.2 has 210/[email protected] cam an ported magnum heads ([email protected]) and I shift it at 6200. That's where I had my best mph.

Bummer...

Maybe next weekend we can take both cars.

Might see if my Dad wants to go and throw mine on his trailer if he's in town.

What rpm are you shifting at? With that cam and heads I would think you should be shifting around 6500 or more. My magnum 5.2 has 210/[email protected] cam an ported magnum heads ([email protected]) and I shift it at 6200. That's where I had my best mph.
Up until last time I was shifting by ear...NO TACH
Last run 5200 rpm..
What all of y'all think I should shift at?

Hey no problem, no offense takin by me. I have only ever run 1/8th mile, so the 1/4 mile numbers I don't think about as much. I do think the convertor is going to help quite a bit, I am guessing is it ends up 60 footing about 1.8 or so and running 8:90 or so, at about 78 MPH.... not sure what 1/4 mile would be like.
No offense here...My car is a dog in 1/8 mile,,,at least it was !!
Bummer...

Maybe next weekend we can take both cars.

Might see if my Dad wants to go and throw mine on his trailer if he's in town.
Okay ..why you need a trailer..lol

Got a little done before the rained out race...
Removed the front sway bar ,fixed a vacuum leak to brake booster (got the correct hose instead of tie strapped hose on ends)
Installed a catch can that tech let me slid on for the radiator.
Fine tuned carb and nothing else....will re jet later. (running rich)
I just bent on seeing what difference the convertor does to my time !!!
Oh,I have practiced some 2000 foot brake launchs and what a difference I am right at 4000 rpm out of hole after tire spin ....60ft times will drop.
Is the weekend yet?Can not wait.....:burnout:

Up until last time I was shifting by ear...NO TACH
Last run 5200 rpm..
What all of y'all think I should shift at?
5600-5800, to start. See how the new converter ,launches first. The secret to improvement on E.T.'s quickly? Do one adjustment at a time, log it in a logbook.Don't do the same thing,multiple times TX...

My car lifts the front end now,no wheels off the ground but hooks up right away...
I might burn up my drag radials before this weekend.....lmao
I bet I running at least a 14.54.............

May like being shifted at 6K maybe a little more.

An RHS headed 360 with that cam made max hp at 5600 rpm, you got a bunch less inches. Up the RPM point to shift. It could have a bunch still hidden.

Only thing that suck for me is re-opened track that is crowded....
Last time and first time at San Antonio Raceway I got 3 runs in from 6-11pm because I cheated and ran with slick only cars...street cars got 2 runs...
Okay like my build thread says "Drive Like You Stole it... I did and I will...."

Last time and first time at San Antonio Raceway I got 3 runs in from 6-11pm because I cheated and ran with slick only cars...street cars got 2 runs...
Okay like my build thread says "Drive Like You Stole it... I did and I will...."

Rack it up, go get it TX...

Yeah that was pretty slick! Lol!

Street class was stupid packed and waiting for hours, you might have gotten ONE run...and at least you didn't have to worry about a collision with the car in the next lane.

If it hooks like it did yesterday on asphalt, it's really gonna hook at the track!
We will have to video, you might get a wheel up, lol!!!

Don't knock the teener guys! He's having a ton of fun for the money!
He's got not much more money in the whole car than some so called 'low buck engine combos'.
Granted there is money in the car, but most of it was somebody else's.
I bet he hits 13's fairly soon.

.1 on the short end is worth .2 on the big end. I think you will see a 2.0 short time with the new convertor assuming it hooks up.

So I'm thinking 14.3XX

-
Back