What will this run?

-

B3422w5

Reaction score
hey guys. Took my 69 Dart out for its first outing at the track last week.
3270 race weight
4500 convertor, 4.10 gear, 28 inch tall tire
Stock 360 short block, about 9.5 compression, replacent sealed power flattop pistons, 27 in the hole
M1 single plane. My 950 carb that is tried and true, nice piece. Also tried a 750 didnt work as good
Comp 294 s solid cam 248/248 525 lift 110 lsa installed at 106
Eddie heads stock, unported
Car ran 12.17. Pulled the motor apart to see what it was afterwords, so now have the above info about it i posted above
Changes........ moderate well done porting of the heads, probably a stage two type job, and milled them to get from 64cc to 57cc, thinner head gasket, from 51 to 28 thick.... this should move compression to about 10.6/7 to 1
New cam and springs. Cam is solid, 260-264@50 565/565 lift 106 lsa, installed at 102
Swapping Single plane M1 for eddie air gap intake. Also removed another 50 pounds of weight.
Any guesses on new ET?
Thanks

How will it run?...Like a scalded cat!

My guess you should be able to break into the 11's, possibly low 11.90's.

I hope it picks up way, way more than that. It ran 12.17 before all the changes
The problem with making a car quicker and/or faster is that the amount of power to do so is not an even slope. In other words, if it took 100 hp to go from 13.00 to 12.00, it might take another 150 hp to go from 12.00 to 11.00. The changes you made aren't that drastic and IMO you'd be lucky to pick up 50 hp. I hope you run quicker but don't be disappointed if you don't.

The problem with making a car quicker and/or faster is that the amount of power to do so is not an even slope. In other words, if it took 100 hp to go from 13.00 to 12.00, it might take another 150 hp to go from 12.00 to 11.00. The changes you made aren't that drastic and IMO you'd be lucky to pick up 50 hp. I hope you run quicker but don't be disappointed if you don't.

True. A cam on a 110 isnt good on a real low compression motor. I figure the compression raise is probably 20 horse. The heads probably 25 or 30, and the intake a huge improvement over a big single plane M1 that was on it. Cam should work much better as well. Cam and intake should make the car ET much better. Guess what i am saying is the combo was badly mismatched, and now should be much closer.
I made the changes hoping to get to 11.50. I will report back after Norwalk Monster Mopar with results. I think i did enough, we will see.

Best was a 1.70. Room for Tons of improvement. And it didnt spin, just no bottom end.
The cam had those stock weak springs on it that eddie heads come with. Took the car forever to rev to even 6k for the 1/2 shift. Sit there and fall asleep staring at the tach.
Have also been fighting an electrical gremlin we found. Dont doubt that was part of the dogginess as well. The ground strap to the chassis wasnt tightened down to the frame. Nut was just hand loose maybe 2 threads screwed on, like when the motor was installed he forgot to go back and screw the nut down and tighten it.
Put a brand new battery in it at the track and it would still barely turn over enough to start the car. I had thought the old battery was bad.
I am betting that affected the msd box and spark output, and contributed greatly to the general lack of snappiness of the car.

Saw that slow my old 9 sec car down to 10.20's years ago having a bad alternator aand bad battery at the same time, and continuing to use a jump box to start it one night going rounds.
Next morning new battery and alt, and car was 3 tenths quicker and back where it normally ran.

Last edited:
True. A cam on a 110 isnt good on a real low compression motor. I figure the compression raise is probably 20 horse. The heads probably 25 or 30, and the intake a huge improvement over a big single plane M1 that was on it. Cam should work much better as well. Cam and intake should make the car ET much better. Guess what i am saying is the combo was badly mismatched, and now should be much closer.
I made the changes hoping to get to 11.50. I will report back after Norwalk Monster Mopar with results. I think i did enough, we will see.
Definitely! Let us know!

I think you moved in the right direction and it should get out of the hole quicker.

Launch at what rpm?

IMO, the car is a little heavy, the Comp cam small for converter and intake. The M1 is unfortunately previously used by mopar on builds that should have used a LD-340 or rpm intake. The M1 single is best used as a high rpm peice on a way lighter car. And where the torque output of the engine is ignored below 4500.

I like the new cam with the M1 single but with more compression and a lighter car.

Guess withheld.

Launch at what rpm?

IMO, the car is a little heavy, the Comp cam small for converter and intake. The M1 is unfortunately previously used by mopar on builds that should have used a LD-340 or rpm intake. The M1 single is best used as a high rpm peice on a way lighter car. And where the torque output of the engine is ignored below 4500.

I like the new cam with the M1 single but with more compression and a lighter car.

Guess withheld.

Yep.

Even with the new cam it will like the airgap much better. I am raising the compression up to 10.7 from under 9.5 so hopefully the convertor will open up 2 or 3 hundred more in flash.
I have tried leaving at 2k and 3k off the foot.
Car should be about 3220 next outing. Cut most of the horrible hillybilly cage that was in it out.
Hoping it goes 1.57-1.61 next outing at 115-116.
My little pump gas 318 motor and 71 Duster i just sold to buy this car went 1.62 60 foot and 11.66 at almost 200 more pounds. This 360 should run better than that.

Best was a 1.70. Room for Tons of improvement. And it didnt spin, just no bottom end.
The cam had those stock weak springs on it that eddie heads come with. Took the car forever to rev to even 6k for the 1/2 shift. Sit there and fall asleep staring at the tach.
Have also been fighting an electrical gremlin we found. Dont doubt that was part of the dogginess as well. The ground strap to the chassis wasnt tightened down to the frame. Nut was just hand loose maybe 2 threads screwed on, like when the motor was installed he forgot to go back and screw the nut down and tighten it.
Put a brand new battery in it at the track and it would still barely turn over enough to start the car. I had thought the old battery was bad.
I am betting that affected the msd box and spark output, and contributed greatly to the general lack of snappiness of the car.

Saw that slow my old 9 sec car down to 10.20's years ago having a bad alternator aand bad battery at the same time, and continuing to use a jump box to start it one night going rounds.
Next morning new battery and alt, and car was 3 tenths quicker and back where it normally ran.

I ran a 7.27 @ 94 in the 1/8 with a 360/380 hp crate motor at 2950 lbs. According to Wallace Racing calculator at your weight that would be 7.52. And that translates to around 11.80 in the 1/4. You have a lot better heads and a bigger cam so I think you will easily run better than 11.50.

Well, it should run well. Best of luck hunting the low 60' and E.T.
Due keep us informed!

Its back together and broken in. New cam, head milling, heads ported.
Find out what i got at Monster Mopar next week.

Made a couple of test hits on the street last night with the new changes.
She is noticably stronger everywhere.
That cam in at 102 has quite a chop to it, sounds sweet.
Hopefully Friday she runs the number i am lookin for. I think it will.

Made a couple of test hits on the street last night with the new changes.
She is noticably stronger everywhere.
That cam in at 102 has quite a chop to it, sounds sweet.
Hopefully Friday she runs the number i am lookin for. I think it will.

Looks like rain all day friday... :(

Did you go with single plane after all?:steering:

No. Swapped on an airgap i borrowed and took off the M1 single plane. Added a tapered supersucker spacer as well.
I ran the intake choice by Dwayne Porter at Porter racing heads. He said no matter the choice of cams i was looking at, the air gap would be the better choice. Car has only 4.10 gear and the convertor is a little short from where i would ideally want it. So the dual plane should help the car leave better.
Dwayne is a guru, his recommendations are always spot on. I have always had him spec my cams over the years and happy with the results. So i took his advice on this. Car will live between 4500 -6500 down the track.
This cam i needed quick and Howards happened to have one on the shelf that was pretty close

Well, in real bad air with a strong headwind yesterday, it ran 11.64.
Better weather today( Saturday) hopefully it will pickup a little more.
All in all happy. The improvements netted a nice gain.
60 foot improved from 1.70 best first outing to 1.62 yesterday. And the first outing was in much better conditions, more like it will be today.

Well, in real bad air with a strong headwind yesterday, it ran 11.64.
Better weather today( Saturday) hopefully it will pickup a little more.
All in all happy. The improvements netted a nice gain.
60 foot improved from 1.70 best first outing to 1.62 yesterday. And the first outing was in much better conditions, more like it will be today.
Nice! I'm glad I was wrong!:thumbsup:

-
Back