What's up with MOPAR MUSCLE?

-
I'll say it again...

I get sick of seeing on the cover "Well show you how to_____"...

...and the second paragraph of the article says "We paid_____ to do it"

I LOL'd at your post grassy. After hearing so much about the Mustangs, I finally drove one, same color as yours even.

Too funny ! That would be Vista blue. Major grins per buck. I have yet to do anything since I owned it except for basic maintenance. With the side pipes, it sounds fantastic. Anyway, thank goodness that there is more than one car manufactured :).

Being in the salt belt, I almost doubt that these are any around here on the road...

cheers

Nice to see that there are other Mustang owners on here.

There's my non-Mopar guilty pleasure (below). I really loved the Challenger R/T but it was just too big for my garage...Besides, that sparkling 5.0 totally won me over. I ordered this car...6spd, stripped other than an optional axle ratio and the Brembo brakes. I added the Boss 302 front end and side exit exhaust...it's a total blast to drive. I always wished that I could sit down with the option sheet and end up with a car that had all of the stuff I wanted and none of the stuff I didn't...it was a fun experience and I hope to do it again some day...preferably at a Dodge dealership.

While I tend to prefer Mopars across the board, the Challenger just barely didn't work for me. I have friends who own (and love) them and I am seriously envious of their cars, even if my Mustang would walk them without even trying.

Attachments

• at_Pike_small.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 213
I have had it out with his *** over there a lot. He gets pissed off when I tell the truth. That they've turned that rag into nothing more than a proving ground for high end sponsors and turned themselves into nothing but a bunch of silver spooners who take advantage of all the sponsors freebies. That really fires his *** up but it's the truth.

Car Craft used to be one of my favorites, but they went that way too. Nowadays it's all about which rag can use the highest price parts on which project. Pretty pitiful, really. Not something I'm gonna pay 7.99 an issue for.

well when you are getting parts for free it has got to be hard not to go all out with whatever project they are working on. they may have good intentions of showing something lower buck and simple but the sponsors want their latest and greatest product show cased. it would be hard for me not to get carried away too.. :)

i don't get any of the mopar magazines anymore. any info i want i can get on the internet faster. magazines are pretty much just a new product show case these days.

i do get a couple of mustang magazines though. being new to the scene i have to learn what vendors and products are out there.

x2....I don't give a rats *** about the crap "muscle cars" Chrysler is producing now..the cut off point should be the end of the Aspen /Volare run...

i picked up one the other cad and it was just about all the new crud...

too bad..

lmao.. aspen/volare ???? seriously? thats funny right there. only thing in that era magazine worthy is the lil red express ( and maybe a macho power wagon), other then that the cut off should be 1972 and even that is pushing it.

lmao.. aspen/volare ???? seriously? thats funny right there. only thing in that era magazine worthy is the lil red express ( and maybe a macho power wagon), other then that the cut off should be 1972 and even that is pushing it.

Yeah...I am with you about the Aspen / Volare but many seem to really like them..

If you go to '70 or '72 then you have to go to '76 because the same car was still being produced....I could never understand the '74 cut off date at some shows..

Ian.

What about the street version Petty Kit Car? The Super Coupe? The Aspen R/T? While your opinion of those cars may be low, you cannot deny their increasing value. Those cars are worth quite a bit. Probably on par with all but the big block versions of the A body.

Well Wayne, it seems like they need to put SOMETHING in their mag besides ads. I told the guy hawking it at the Garlits show, that there was just no content. I saw that car, and the blue bee at local shows. They are both nice cars, but it must be great to have all your parts given to you, then have someone else do all the work. They seem to forget in these mags that we would actually have to pay for those $600 hood hinges. As far as new cars in the mag, They are O.K. sometimes, but there's not much the average guy can do to a late model except a cold air kit and exhaust. The prices for performance parts for new cars is nuts.
I agree

I quit demanding perfection from magazines when I got married. :) on a serious note, I don't find this error to be a stop the press moment. I guarantee it will be covered in a future letter to the editor. I subscribe to sea classics magazine and every issue there are mistakes like this.

Just looking at the March 2014 edition, Front cover says "painting duster stripes" and when you look at the article it is a Dart Sport.......really!

I would think of all people they should know the difference!

why not just say "painting stripes". Just venting as I hate the Dart called a Duster.
:burnout:

I have always preferred Mopar Action over Mopar Muscle....

I think it neat that I have the cars that Bundy was supposed to have had.
And the Duster people don’t.
Dodge is how the masses know it.
Neener Neener.

At least they haven’t done a “Areo Duster” yet? Or have they?
If they do, let me know. I might pick up a copy.:-\"

I suspect the ads are there because they don’t make enough money on subscriptions.
And if it contains articles on later cars like the new Challenger, it’s because of that too.
People are buying Challengers (new) not Dusters.
Always follow he money.

I wonder how much they paid for the Passon 5 speed they put in the red Dart sport?

Yeah...I am with you about the Aspen / Volare but many seem to really like them..

many seem to like freaking k-cars too but i don't want to see a restored one in a magazine.

If you go to '70 or '72 then you have to go to '76 because the same car was still being produced....I could never understand the '74 cut off date at some shows..

Ian.

NOPE! after 72 they got the big bumpers and the dart beak. keep them out too..

What about the street version Petty Kit Car? The Super Coupe? The Aspen R/T? While your opinion of those cars may be low, you cannot deny their increasing value. Those cars are worth quite a bit. Probably on par with all but the big block versions of the A body.

so what? v wing cars are worth a lot but i still think those things are freaking ugly. the owners can keep those kit cars,not so super coupes and big bad fraud of a R/T.

yeah... big bumpers suck!

As a general rule, I agree with you. I happen to think that the Abodies fared better in the change than many cars of the era. Spend some time looking at a '68-'72 Nova, then try not to wretch when you see the '73. :)
Nah... I like the '74 Novas too but the bumpers are much more of an eyesore than they were on the Mopars.

I will say that you can clearly see the impact of the backlash against "muscle cars" in the '73+ Abodies. They were fairly agressive and sporty looking up through '72 and then they went more formal and dull. Was this an insurance rate thing?

I, like Rani, like pointy nose grills.. :)

I agree here. I really love the beak on my car. It's a unique and cool looking design element and it's something the Dusters didn't get. It adds a bit of visual length to the nose and mitigates the visual impact of the bumpers...which may have been the original intent.

Would I have picked it out of the history of the Dodge Dart? No...but it was the best Abody I could find/afford when I was 17 (many moons ago)...and I'm sticking with it.

I really love the beak on my car. It's a unique and cool looking design element and it's something the Dusters didn't get.

Sorry, my Duster has the beak...I think it was '74 on but don't quote me..

Actually, the colour doesn't look that bad in this pic...

HPIM5411a-XL.jpg

I subscribed to it off and on from 1998, and notice just came to renew. I told my wife to pitch it out because I think it is way overpriced esp. when they keep running the same thing over and over. Just my two cents.

I used to subscribe to all the Mopar mags---and I go way back. I gave up on this one a few years ago. My favorite sections were the ones authored by Dulcich and that pretty much was it. I just got tired of low tech filler and articles on how to put a $2000 cat back stainless system on a brand new Challenger. Really!? I need to see them waste pages on that?? In actuality, probably someone on the staff got a free system just so he could write about it.

About 2 years ago I was at a Mopar swap meet in Columbus and one of their guys flagged me to their booth to renew or subscribe as I was walking by. So I very specifically told them why I didn't anymore.
I must admit, it was very satisfying.

1976 -Granada
1976 - Nova & GM siblings
1976 - Aspen/Volare

I'll take the Aspen/Volare.
Room for a big block with ease.
The 360-2V was a great starting point for any Hot Rod.
I came very lose to buying a 1977 Black Aspen R/T when I graduated.
Instead, took my down payment money & bought a 11-second Beveldere.
I have owned a couple of F-bodies, like them very well.
They were also great looking Pro-Stock cars.

so what? v wing cars are worth a lot but i still think those things are freaking ugly. the owners can keep those kit cars,not so super coupes and big bad fraud of a R/T.

That's your opinion which has no bearing on what any of those cars are actually worth.

Funny you mention the Granada. I did some front end work on one years ago. I forget exactly which year model it was, but get this. It was a factory 2 door Granada, 351W 4 barrel, 4 speed. I have never seen another one. I know they are awesomely hideous, but I always thought that one was kinda cool.

1976 -Granada
1976 - Nova & GM siblings
1976 - Aspen/Volare

I'll take the Aspen/Volare.
Room for a big block with ease.
The 360-2V was a great starting point for any Hot Rod.
I came very lose to buying a 1977 Black Aspen R/T when I graduated.
Instead, took my down payment money & bought a 11-second Beveldere.
I have owned a couple of F-bodies, like them very well.
They were also great looking Pro-Stock cars.

Wow...Its a magazine. If you don't like it,don't buy it.
Pretty simple.

-
Back