When is it time to throw in the towel?

-

OCswinger

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in the need of some guidance. I purchase my first Dart on November 1st and I finally got around to getting estimates on the paint and body. Ive got two quotes today one for 15k, the other for 13k. Turns out my ole girl is full of bondo. Those quotes would cover the removal of bondo and paint and what ever else is needed. Both shops have also said there is no guarantee of removing all the rust. I am by no means in a financial spot to pay some one that kind of cash and I am not as gifted as some of the members here when it comes to body work. My question is this, when is too much just too much to continue on with your car?

That really depends. You can save considerable money buy doing some things yourself. This isn’t as hard as people think. Just getting you car to primer could save you a lot of money. As far as throwing in the towel that’s giving up wayyy too soon.

The bottom line is that the Chrysler A Bodies are roughly 40 year old cars and typically need a great deal of work unless you spend a big chunk of money up front. You can do restorations economically, but it takes longer, you'll work harder, and if you don't have the patience, you'll probably give up long before you are anywhere near completion.

If you LOVE the car, stick with it. You can take an auto-body course at a local community college or ask a friend to help. If you don't have a personal attachement to the car, I recommend you "throw in the towel" and sell to someone who does.

That really depends. You can save considerable money buy doing some things yourself. This isn’t as hard as people think. Just getting you car to primer could save you a lot of money. As far as throwing in the towel that’s giving up wayyy too soon.

I really want to give it a shot but I'm a little passive only because I dont want to open a can of worms. I have been looking everywhere for replacement panels but I guess people hate Mopars. The BIGGEST issue is the roof, its going and going soon. I have thought about the JC auto shop way but my work schedule wont allow it. Would you guys continue the engine build and when the body goes just transfer everything into another body? Because thats what I was thinking. BTW, its a 72 with a 318 and Ive wanted a Dart for over 10 years now.

Any suggestions?

Bondo isn't the end of the world for me. I'd take a bondo'd mopar over a new car any day. Rust, dings, scratches, character! Perfect paintjob= can't park it without fear of coming back to some new scrape. I did 100% of the paint/body on my car, 1st timer, under a grand including paint, bondo, compressor, gun, regulator, etc. $13,000 gets you a hemi

Attachments

• Picture 453.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 441
  • Picture 445.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 436
If you truely wanted the car for 10years stick with it! little by little pick away at it.Build yourself a rock solid drivetrain cuz it can always be removed and put in another car if you wish.With a solid drivetrain u can save up some nickels while still enjoying the car.I know how ya feel!

Youve already thrown in the towel. Just asking that question says you dont have the dedication to see it thru.Building cars isnt for everyone. I enjoy it but theres times I didnt want to dedicate the time. Save your coin and find a finished car you like.They cost twice to build what they are worth.

If you truely wanted the car for 10years stick with it! little by little pick away at it.Build yourself a rock solid drivetrain cuz it can always be removed and put in another car if you wish.With a solid drivetrain u can save up some nickels while still enjoying the car.I know how ya feel!

Thanks guys, after seeing some of the builds on the restro forums, gonna stick it out. Ive had other builds (all fords, i know i know) but wasnt ready for the lack of parts, turns out classic industries just came out with mopar goodies so lets hope i can find what i need there. thanks again for the responses..

Jon

Hey guys,

I'm in the need of some guidance. I purchase my first Dart on November 1st and I finally got around to getting estimates on the paint and body. Ive got two quotes today one for 15k, the other for 13k. Turns out my ole girl is full of bondo. Those quotes would cover the removal of bondo and paint and what ever else is needed. Both shops have also said there is no guarantee of removing all the rust. I am by no means in a financial spot to pay some one that kind of cash and I am not as gifted as some of the members here when it comes to body work. My question is this, when is too much just too much to continue on with your car?

Very good question....
First of all 13K-15K for paint and body....Ya right.

If the car "truely" is a rust/bondo bucket,sell it.Let someone else deal with the headache.

You are in the rust free capitol of the U.S.
There are some good deals out there right now,where cash is King. There was a beautifully straight Demon on here,in SoCal,that just sold for around $3K

I am in SoCal as well,and see straight/clean cars all the time going for
$2K-$4K. Always smart to start with a clean platform,and being in Cal,there is no reason not to.

My .02

Sounds like it's time to learn how to do body work. Is there any adult educatijn services around your area?

I suggest you find a better car, hell 13 -15K you could get a really nice Dart, and probably a lot less.

13k-15k is a high end paint job unless your car is a total rust bucket. I'm sure if you shop around you can find someone who will work w/ ya and do it cheaper. Bodywork can be done in stages, so don't feel like you have to do it all at once. Pick a part of your car to start on and go from there. Good luck and don't give up.

Just gonna build the drive train and when it falls apart it falls apart and I move to a better platform. So Cal does have a ton of better "starts" especially Dusters. So thats the direction I'm heading in.

Very good question....
First of all 13K-15K for paint and body....Ya right.

If the car "truely" is a rust/bondo bucket,sell it.Let someone else deal with the headache.

You are in the rust free capitol of the U.S.
There are some good deals out there right now,where cash is King. There was a beautifully straight Demon on here,in SoCal,that just sold for around $3K

I am in SoCal as well,and see straight/clean cars all the time going for
$2K-$4K. Always smart to start with a clean platform,and being in Cal,there is no reason not to.

My .02

I have to agree. Paint and body work are not my cup of tea so I looked and waited until I found a decent body I could afford to start with.

You say you cannot afford 13-15K for paint. Can you afford a bodywork course at the local tech school? Dude, if you do that, you will wonder why you ever wanted to let anybody else touch your car. It's a TON easier than you think and you'd probably do a better job than any shop ever would because it's your car.

You say you cannot afford 13-15K for paint. Can you afford a bodywork course at the local tech school? Dude, if you do that, you will wonder why you ever wanted to let anybody else touch your car. It's a TON easier than you think and you'd probably do a better job than any shop ever would because it's your car.

I have thought about that, a lot. The problem I have is work. One week i work days (12's) the next is nights (12's). I work three weeks on one week off so I have no time to schedule an actual class. I would absolutley love nothing more to gain the ability to work paint and body, I think the guys who can are amazing but, work has to come first since it pays the bills and feeds the mouths. But I think Im gonna give it a shot, at least sand it down and see whats going on. Another FABO memeber might have a lead on a painter for me so Im gonna check it out. Now, I gotta find some 360 heads so i can get started on the engine :thumbrig:

Hey Jon,

Where bouts in Anaheim are ya.

We are over in East Anaheim by the 57/91 interchange. Dont give up on it
these Old Mopars are a kick, any body can have a Ford Or Chevy.
There are still lots of places that sell parts for your car ,This site being one of them. Just ask around here and somebody will help you out.

Bob

I don't know who gave you those quotes, but they're probably smokin' crack.

You mentioned that the "roof" is going and almost gone......if that's the case, I can't imagine what the rest of the car must be like in the problem areas......You can purchase a Dart roller in new paint for 4 to 7 grand depending on the quality and additional parts on it.......13K my foot.......they just want to take you to the cleaners but good.

I had an estimate drawn for my 68 Charger to finish blocking the car, then epoxy, finish block and paint base/clear in a good shop up in NY.......Came in at about $5,000. for the whole job.

If your car is that rusted that you're honestly worried about it, and it sounds like you are, your best investment would be to find another donor Dart body with some decent panels, and no rot like you're describing. No joke, I've seen some solid cars sell for $500. and up to $1500. that would solve all of your problems...........

SHOP around.

Hey Jon,

Where bouts in Anaheim are ya.

We are over in East Anaheim by the 57/91 interchange. Dont give up on it
these Old Mopars are a kick, any body can have a Ford Or Chevy.
There are still lots of places that sell parts for your car ,This site being one of them. Just ask around here and somebody will help you out.

Bob

Im right by Knotts, Ball and Beach area. So far I have only received nothing but support from FABO. Great site with great resources.

I don't know who gave you those quotes, but they're probably smokin' crack.

You mentioned that the "roof" is going and almost gone......if that's the case, I can't imagine what the rest of the car must be like in the problem areas......You can purchase a Dart roller in new paint for 4 to 7 grand depending on the quality and additional parts on it.......13K my foot.......they just want to take you to the cleaners but good.

I had an estimate drawn for my 68 Charger to finish blocking the car, then epoxy, finish block and paint base/clear in a good shop up in NY.......Came in at about $5,000. for the whole job.

If your car is that rusted that you're honestly worried about it, and it sounds like you are, your best investment would be to find another donor Dart body with some decent panels, and no rot like you're describing. No joke, I've seen some solid cars sell for $500. and up to $1500. that would solve all of your problems...........

SHOP around.

thanks man, Im gonna have to keep searching for a shop that doesnt want my first born son.

-
Back