WHERE DID U PUT UR AFTERMARKET STEREO & SPEAKERS

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
I am thinking of putting in a aftermarket stereo in my barracuda. I am going to get front kick panels that have the speakers in them. I also want to put speakers in the back some where. Im just not sure where. I dont want to cut holes in the rear interior panels.

Unless you have people in the back a fair amount of the time, all you need is good speakers up front small sub in the back with decent quality wattage, new amps are fairly cheap now day or buy a used Rockford Fosgate 2 channel 150-200w @ 4ohms x 2 or 4 channel 100-150w @ 4ohms x 4 more than enough for two fronts and a sealed 10" sub. And if worried about volume and bass, gains can be ran fairly low.

I bought a blue tooth marine radio it’s about 3” diameter and put it in the glove box. Has usb input and and amp jacks. For a four speaker setup. I put some Rockford gos gates in the kick panels and 2 6x9 speakers in separate boxes in the back. But usually leave them behind the front seats. https://links.duckduckgo.com/m.js?dsl=1&iurl={1}IG=7A47261039A543F899FFFD59FF9F3628&CID=0D0A46E90836632C332C52DC09D06284&ID=DevEx,5228.1&ivu={4}type=mv&reqver=1.0&rg=23c7cb3f9bb44546b7ae43578538a180&sfexp=0&shopping=1&spld={"ld":"e8JG109j2Ccz_nRbMZ1U5zzzVUCUzanlQ8DY6WiwzbQ9EQKk7MgXRh7uhVDhQhbiwJ2AXU_tudmaV2A-W09vFmARmjm-DaNgeCJWg9VX5-eUPAD2fWilf7MC4G-x3qe4Yl_M8JFBMQq7qNw2RczWevA2IOIu5o6PaITJg6SWB63NSg3Vf2","rlid":"9c730d9c135b15f421de687d3f3a2154","u":"aHR0cHMlM2ElMmYlMmZ3d3cuYW1hem9uLmNvbSUyZkJPU1MtQXVkaW8tTUdSMzUwQi1NYXJpbmUtUmVjZWl2ZXIlMmZkcCUyZkIwMFZWNlk3TzIlMmZyZWYlM2Rhc2NfZGZfQjAwVlY2WTdPMiUyNm1jaWQlM2RiM2I2ODY0NDI4NmMzZDc5OWZhNTI5ZTg2ZDA2NDYwYyUzZnRhZyUzZGJuZ3NtdHBoc251cy0yMCUyNmxpbmtDb2RlJTNkZGYwJTI2aHZhZGlkJTNkODA0MDE5MDU3NTI0NTklMjZodm5ldHclM2RzJTI2aHZxbXQlM2RlJTI2aHZibXQlM2RiZSUyNmh2ZGV2JTNkbSUyNmh2bG9jaW50JTNkJTI2aHZsb2NwaHklM2QlMjZodnRhcmdpZCUzZHBsYS00NTg0MDAxNDMxNjI5Mjk5JTI2cHNjJTNkMQ"}&styp=entitydetails&ad_domain=amazon.com

IMG_5086.png

Last edited:
I don’t know why that link is soooooooooo long. Maybe because I use DuckDuckGo instead of google.

Bluetooth receiver, no cd, mounted under dash, boat antenna mounted behind dash, it's just a wire, homemade kickpanel speakers made from drywall containers, old home stereo speaker boxes in back modified for 6x9, fastback.
No amps, loud and clear.

Speakers in trunk divider opens then up for damage from stuff in the trunk, and if you ever open the divider for use.

Look for Bluetooth amplifier on Amazon. Works great is you want to play music from your phone

Anyone hear have there speakers in the trunk divider ? How do they sound ?

In ‘89, I had a fold down rear seat Duster, a ‘73 I think it was. In the trunk divider, I cut holes for 6 X 9’s, with an amplifier, you don’t need much, it was a really good sound. I suggest a minimum of a 60 X 2 amp. More power the better as you won’t have to turn up the volume all the way to hear it well at Hwy speeds. If you add a subwoofer, I suggest a minimum of 100 watts to the subwoofer.

It all may sound like a lot of power but it really isn’t and you’ll appreciate it when your windows are down at interstate Hwy speeds.

The wife did a similar deal as above except the side sail panels were already cut for 6-1/2 rounds in here ‘67 Cúda. The subwoofer is at 100 watts.

Her head unit is on a bracket hanging under the dash. I personally can’t stand that.

Not exactly related, in my ‘79 Magnum, I have 6-1/2 door speakers, 5 X 7 rear deck speakers & a 10 subwoofer. 90 watts to the 4 speakers and 150 to the subwoofer. No need to turn it all the way up but when it’s done, it’s crystal clear, zero distortion.
More available power is always better.

Don't be afraid of wattage, it takes 10 times the power to double the volume.
1000w is twice as loud then 100w and a 100w is twice as loud than 10w etc..
Reason you want 200-500w watts from a quality amps is headroom.

I am thinking of putting in a aftermarket stereo in my barracuda. I am going to get front kick panels that have the speakers in them. I also want to put speakers in the back some where. Im just not sure where. I dont want to cut holes in the rear interior panels.
IMG_6660.jpeg

I made custom kick and 6x9 rear deck but i know its not a cuda but you can do the same

IMG_6659.jpeg

IMG_6657.jpeg

I'll second the marine gauge pod radio. I have that same one too. The only thing I don't like about it is the push button up/down on the volume is a pain while driving with the top down. I've bought different with a rotary knob, but have yet to install it. Crutchfield has a several options. Other features to look out for would be USB charging output, some might not have AM band, satelllite radio, and possibly a clock. Dual speakers are mounted in the dash with an adapter plate.

I bought the kick panels for the speakers. I bought the ones for the oval speakers as I think the sound better. Buy the speakers separate. You will get better quality speakers cheaper than the ones that come with the kick panels.

The only down side with the kick panel speakers is that the vent doors barely open due to interference.

I have 6x9 speakers in my rear trunk divider panel. They produce almost all of the sound at higher volume. The kick panel speakers are a minor contributor, but are good.

I have found that even most of the cheap radios have enough power to drive a stereo louder than I need. No need for power boosters anymore unless you are a teenager who wants to rattle other folks windows when you drive by.

My dash was already cut up, so I just mounted my aftermarket radio in the stock location.

I have put the Bluetooth amplifiers in other cars. They work great. You just hook them up to your speakers and power, mount it out of sight and turn up the volume all the way. Use your phone to control volume and whatever you want to play. Any audio on your phone will play through your speakers. I think I paid $30 for them.

For bass, I had these in the back of my 1970 Challenger.

IMG_7150.jpeg

I made custom fiberglass kicks with Kicker brand and stereo is in glove box to hide . anything now days is descent but electronics you get what you pay for..Godd luck bud

Sorry about the quality of the pictures. My google photos are coming out like this now. I don’t know why. This is the only pick of stereo before I put in the glove box. I made a mount for it and bolted under the dash. I never use any of the controls on the radio. I use the volume on my phone and only stream music. I figured the glove box was a good location. I’ll post a picture tonight.
IMG_5094.jpeg

Last edited:
Just remember when it comes to modern stereo anything being visible in a classic car.....it'll look completely out of date in 5-10 years.

My preference is to have everything hidden or at least only hack into things that are easily fixed. You'd be surprised at how good a cheap bluetooth amplifier and an underdash speaker can sound. Running speakers on the trunk divider in a fastback isn't the worst thing in the world either since you can easily cut a new piece of wood and set it back to original.

I'd roll with the under dash speaker and your kick panel speakers and see if you're happy with the sound before proceeding with putting speakers in the back.

After your question I looked into what @Mike69cuda said about Bluetooth amp and subs. If you just stream music that is the quickest and best option. That way you don’t have to cut anything up. I am looking at Bluetooth amps now. Great idea. My head unit may be available soon. :lol:

Well all i have guys is a cheap flip phone lol I do everything on my lap top. Wen it comes to a radio/ cd player who makes a good one for a good price ? Im out of touch when it comes to car radios.

-
Back