where is a good place to buy a 360 magnum

-

maca

Reaction score
I am coming from Australia to the US for a holiday and want to purchase a 360 magnum engine. I want one complete with heads, timing cover, brackets and alternator etc but I will be rebuilding it.
I will be visiting
Los Angeles
San francisco
Las vegas
and around new York
Can you please tell me where I would look to find one. I hear you have a site called craigs list and I guess I could google dodge junk yards.
any suggestions, cheers
Also machine work in Australia is very expensive. Can anyone recommend in the same area a good place to have the block cleaned, bored and decked etc
cheers

Thanks L4staero, I do know of mike as I have brought some parts off him in the past but had forgotten about him. I will contact him.
hey Retroboy
I will be heading over towards the end of January. I have another build I want to do down the track but thought I would take this opportunity to at least pick up an engine and it would be a bonus if I could get some of the machine work done too. The prices seem a lot better in the US but the dollar is very bad at the moment so I will get a couple of prices and go from there. Will let you know what happens.

Greg if it were me I would speak to Brian @ IMM engines
http://immengines.com/

Or Mike @ MRL engines
http://www.mrlperformance.com/

Both reputable guys and great sharers of their knowledge on here and die hard mopar guys

I can recommend some places to steer clear of as well

don't go with the cheapest machine work you can find either one of these guys are worth more than they charge .

This site lists parts from all salvage yards across North America (Canada, US, & Mexico). You can search for mileage to find a low mileage one for building.:

www.car-parts.com

There are some very good used, run-tested engine choices on Ebay from reputable salvage yards. They can ship them directly to your exporter of choice here too. I bought a stock bore Magnum block complete without the reciprocating assembly, and it was only $300 including shipping from the central US to the west coast.

Thanks guys
I will check out that site after work. I had a quick look and it looked great.
What did the 360 magnums come out in. I put in dodge 150 trucks and found some there.
I am willing to look at any engine. Stock or not. I have some new parts here to fit but willing to look at anything available. I am getting 420 RWHP from my stock bottom end magnum and it seems to be holding fine.
The only problem I had was I cant run hydraulic lifters as they just wouldn't stay pumped up. So would prefer to buy an engine that has been tested even though I will be rebuilding it as I had the one I have now built 3 times and no one could find the issue so I had to go to a solid roller cam.

Dodge Ram 1500, 2500, 3500 pick up. Dodge Durango. Dodge Dakota r/t. Dodge b series van. 1996-2001 is where I usually find them. Pretty sure they ran from 94-2003

Thanks guys
I will check out that site after work. I had a quick look and it looked great.
What did the 360 magnums come out in. I put in dodge 150 trucks and found some there.
I am willing to look at any engine. Stock or not. I have some new parts here to fit but willing to look at anything available. I am getting 420 RWHP from my stock bottom end magnum and it seems to be holding fine.
The only problem I had was I cant run hydraulic lifters as they just wouldn't stay pumped up. So would prefer to buy an engine that has been tested even though I will be rebuilding it as I had the one I have now built 3 times and no one could find the issue so I had to go to a solid roller cam.

My check out LKQ industries, on the West Coast..?

I recently used www.usatoaus.com to ship a 5.9 magnum motor to melbourne.
It should be ready for me to pick up any day now. fingers crossed!

The invoice I received looks basically like this

$450 AUD for the shipping (port to port)
$95 AUD to transfer my motor to a steel pallet (using timber is a customs nightmare)
$25 AUD insurance
$162 AUD for GST (tax)

(GST is calculated as 10% of the total amount you pay for the engine/labor + 10% of ALL freight/shipping costs)

You WILL have to pay the GST. All items in a container are taxable, the $1000 AUD tax-free threshold for importing doesn't apply to individual items inside a container, the government considers a shipping container as ONE big taxable box belonging to one person with multiple items of various value within it.

You will be required to provide a copy of all your receipts for proof of purchase and so they can determine the taxable value of your motor/parts.

Hope this is helpful. best of luck! :)

I have a friend who ships containers from the Los Angeles area to Australia. If you want to go that route, send me a pm and I'll send you his contact information.

'93-'03 Ram 150, 1500, 250, 2500, 350, 3500. (including Ram vans)

'98-'03 Dakota/Durango

'98 Grand Cherokee

5.2 Mags came out the year before, were in GCs from '93-'98, and Dakotas from '92-'99 as well as Rams up to '02. '92 360s are not Magnums.

I would think a larger JY outfit's cherry picks would be a solid choice.

Salvage yards here in Oklahoma are FULL of magnum engines. A high mileage running engine can be had for $300. A friend of mine bought a 84k mile 5.9 complete with harness and PCM for $850 to swap into his '74 D100.

Thanks guys

Hey Frosty the punk. I have used usatoaus before to ship atrans. They were good to deal with. Have you got your engine yet?

Hey infecteddog. What is JY outfit's cherry picks. Is it a vehicleor a place?

Hey 1994redram. That sounds great. I would really like tofind a low mileage 360 magnum with all its bits including a convertor and a518auto transmission (46rh). How can I tell if its low mileage or is it just a chancedeal and are those transmissions expensive there?

Thanks guys

Hey 1994redram. That sounds great. I would really like tofind a low mileage 360 magnum with all its bits including a convertor and a518auto transmission (46rh). How can I tell if its low mileage or is it just a chancedeal and are those transmissions expensive there?

www.car-parts.com

You can do a search for mileage and some salvage yards may help you with shipping... :glasses7:

Hey infecteddog. What is JY outfit's cherry picks. Is it a vehicleor a place?
Sorry, was too vague and concise.

What I was referring to is the good pulled motors better Junkyards sell outside of the self-serve lines. Usually 318s and high miles will be all over the u-pulls but good low miles 360s aren't typically. Pretty sure http://car-part.com doesn't have an s (guess it redirects either way), but it's a good way to search for sure. Found a good deal on a Jeep trans delivered- and there's a pretty good distance/cross reference search. I'll also add that the site's pretty likely to help you find a seller with exactly what you want even if that's a complete harness motor/driveline without a body.

'93-'03 Ram 150, 1500, 250, 2500, 350, 3500. (including Ram vans)

'98-'03 Dakota/Durango

'98 Grand Cherokee

5.2 Mags came out the year before, were in GCs from '93-'98, and Dakotas from '92-'99 as well as Rams up to '02. '92 360s are not Magnums.

I would think a larger JY outfit's cherry picks would be a solid choice.
Thanks
i have had a think on what i want and have decided to try to find one with an A500 transmission too. What did the a500s come out in behind magnums. Early 2wds?

Thanks
i have had a think on what i want and have decided to try to find one with an A500 transmission too. What did the a500s come out in behind magnums. Early 2wds?
Early 318 2wds would be the best bet for an A500, IIRC it was introduced in '89 where the 518 came out in '90. If you're getting a '96-up motor, you can get one from about any Dakota or Durango 2wd with a 42RE that'll be pie to run, but if you're leaning toward not running fuel injection then the earlier '89-'95 trans is probably a safer bet. Jeeps have passenger side starters- Jeep motors are okay, don't buy a Jeep trans.

Early 318 2wds would be the best bet for an A500, IIRC it was introduced in '89 where the 518 came out in '90. If you're getting a '96-up motor, you can get one from about any Dakota or Durango 2wd with a 42RE that'll be pie to run, but if you're leaning toward not running fuel injection then the earlier '89-'95 trans is probably a safer bet. Jeeps have passenger side starters- Jeep motors are okay, don't buy a Jeep trans.
Thanks
In our Australian cars we need the starter on our passenger side as it will not fit on the other.
This means the starter will have to be on your drivers side. Is this the case with the a500
cheers

-
Back