where would one buy Chrysler CAR paint?

-

BIG-B-Barracuda

Reaction score
im looking into spraying my car myself - try it out to see how it goes....

any one car suggest where i could find Chrysler paints? and or procedures in doing this?

step by step .... :blob:

I'd love to watch and/or help (you live nearby...)

Because I really want to paint mine too! Sassy-Grass Green - WOOHOO!!!!

i will try to keep you updated and posted on the whole procedure once started...
would love some help.. .

i recently went to that Mopar show in riverside there was a paint vendor there that day bu ti don't remember they're info. darn . . .

im looking into spraying my car myself - try it out to see how it goes....

any one car suggest where i could find Chrysler paints? and or procedures in doing this?

step by step .... :blob:

Big B,

I'm sure you can find an autobody ("Car paint") supply store near your location, Google is your friend, use it.

As far as painting the car yourself; while I admire your enthusiasm, I suggest very strongly you take a body and paint course at the local community college before tackling a complete paint job. Failing this suggestion, I suggest you find a major book store and in the hobby section or DIY section you will find everything you need. Youtube may something for you as well.

I have yet to see or hear of any "first timer" getting an anywhere decent first paint job, but hey, there's always the first time.

I wish I was closer, I'd like to watch also. O:)

Good Luck, you'll need it.

:glasses7:

Big B,

I'm sure you can find an autobody ("Car paint") supply store near your location, Google is your friend, use it.

As far as painting the car yourself; while I admire your enthusiasm, I suggest very strongly you take a body and paint course at the local community college before tackling a complete paint job. Failing this suggestion, I suggest you find a major book store and in the hobby section or DIY section you will find everything you need. Youtube may something for you as well.

I have yet to see or hear of any "first timer" getting an anywhere decent first paint job, but hey, there's always the first time.

I wish I was closer, I'd like to watch also. O:)

Good Luck, you'll need it.

:glasses7:

I think a first timer can get pretty good results.
I'm sure you know far more about the subject than I do, but then again some people's idea of "good" varies!

Come on Big B - you can do it!

Inwent down to a local surply house that sells paint to body shops and told them what I have and the paint code for the OE color. 10 minutes later, presto, paint in a can. Not rattle can! LOL!

Attachments

• Magnum 08-14 x 2 058.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 305
Inwent down to a local surply house that sells paint to body shops and told them what I have and the paint code for the OE color. 10 minutes later, presto, paint in a can. Not rattle can! LOL!

:cheers: VERY NICE! see! we can do it...... :toothy1:

first attempting the engine bay paint then depending how it turns out i will look into full body paint....

I painted mine in my driveway (Shh, don't tell anyone). Other than having a pink driveway for several years, the car looks great.

I used single stage paint to be more authentic in my stock resoration. It was a PPG paint store and they had the paint code formula in their computer.

I get lots of compliments on the paint at shows.

Attachments

• Valiant 1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Valiant 2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 280
  • valiant 3.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 246
  • Valiant 4.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 304
Look on the fender tag - something like EB3, EB5, EB7, etc. One of those codes will tell ya.
Be prepared to spend some money, even if spraying it yourself. Compressor, paint guns, prep tools. Most acrylic enamel, last time I bought some over 10 years ago, was over $100 a gallon, and that's just the top coat - no hardener, reducers, primer, clear coat, etc. Oh and the stuff IS deadly poison - will turn to plastic in your lungs once it hardens. Be sure you really want to get into it and have the proper tools and patience for body work. Not everyone can do it.

I also painted my car right where it is pictured. Just the engine bay as well. I waited a good ten days for a good low humidity day with as little breeze as possible. Driveway is still Spiniker White. ;)

As pictured, the day I slide the engine and trans in on the K frame on top of a dolly. I had that sucker way up in the air.

The paint job has a bit of orange peel in it. It was my first time with a paint gun and automotive paint. I also used a single stage. It seemed to make sense, since I do not have a good place to paint or take the time out to toil with a more complex system. I'm not sure if I can do body work or not. I have never done so before. Try I might.

may I make a few comments. yes I paint under a shed , open on 2 sides. wind blows in Missouri. I put a tarp across the windy end! you can not spray decent in the wind!
also be advised about the sheetmetal getting hot. fine after you spray it but prior, NOT good! dust and dirt in paint. wet the floor down good!
you might read the sticky in the body section on painting. all good info.

finding the oOEM paint is easy at a pro paint store.

I remember my Dad back in the 60's, picking up a cheap siphon gun, using a little sears compressor ( 15-20 gal tank?). ( puff, puff, puff!), never sprayed nothing in his life. he did a flawless job on my 2 horse inline trailer, F8 met green no less!!!!!!!!! no runs, no puddles, it was prepped to perfection!!!!! and a perfect job!!!! have faith, all things are possible!!! ( I said possible, not guaranteed!!!!!) LOL

abcdefghjkmnpqrtuwy <------- THIS SINGLE 6 IS UNDER m
64 6
ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTVWXYZ <---- THIS 8 MAYBE A 3 ???
8 11 917
12345678 AX IRM PNI UBS
950 8 1 H63 001 U C <-----THESE 0'S MAYBE Q'S???
BH23 41 5 27 115 079935

CAR: Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 318cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: D70x14 White Sidewall
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: January 15.
AXLE: 2.76 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats.
PAINT: Bright Blue Metallic (Dodge), Electric Blue Metallic (Plymouth).
OTHER: Light Blue Metallic (Dodge), Frost Blue Metallic (Plymouth) Upper Door Frame Color. Blue Horizontal Accent Stripe.

MOLDINGS:
19: Wide Sill Mouldings
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
30: Body Belt Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
E8: Unknown Option
R1: AM Radio
S1: Air Conditioning
W9: 3 Speed Wipers
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y7: White Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror

HERE is some of the info. answered.

planning to pull the engine to do a complete gasket REDO' and take my time to swap out the torque converter and swap some hoses(P/S) hoses. and then painting the engine bay.

What are your plans? GOING TO START WITH JUST ENGINE BAY PAINT.
Are you pulling the engine?....I have a picker and everything... I STILL HAVE TO BUY A LIFT. YES PULL THE ENGINE.
Gonna remove all the trim or mostly masking?REMOVING ALL TRIM....
Color change or same? SAME COLOR... :burnout:

but will definitely keep you guys posted.

Inquiring minds wanna know!

1968 plymouth barracuda 440

qq-1 13354 electric blue poly.

cool.

wait damn it - it has both electric blue and frost blue on the VIN DECODER> !

The two colors could be one for the body and another for the interior. My 70 Swinger was B3 exterior but B3/B7 interior.

-
Back