Which 360,s are best???

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I want to start looking for a 360 for a street/strip project.I need help with which years are best,best heads and also which years to stay away from?Any help would be appreaciated.Thanks.Any complete blocks for sale in the Toronto area?

I wouldnt concern myself with the year of the block. All LA heads are pretty much the same, Some blocks may or may not be thicker then others but theres really no way of telling with out sonic checking them,

The 94 and later Magnum blocks would probably be best. Hyd roller cam and best flowing heads but the heads tend to crack between ports.

I think 89 to 93 360s were still LA but also used a Hyd roller cam.

I think 89 to 93 360s were still LA but also used a Hyd roller cam.

yep, ive got an 89 casting 360 in my duster, it came with roller cam and its still an LA, i like the engine but i ditched the heads.....it came with swirl port fuel injection heads that had larger pushrod holes, I did a head porting job and needed the older style heads because the larger pushrod holes of the swirlports restricted porting. Otherwise i guess i dont think there really is much of a "weaker" casting 360

The best ones run good and are free. Other than the La or Magnum, they are all pretty much the same thing.

If you go with an 89 - 93 (I thought it was 92) you kinda get the best of both the LA and Magnum and there are some good roller cams available that will work with no mods to the block.
I have a 91 block and it came with the 308 hds. If you want some more info PM me.

Thanks388Dart,just wanted to know what years to look for.I heard some years the heads always crack.I might look into some Indy heads if I can find some for a good price.Thanks guys.

92 was the last year of the regular LA engine. 93 started the Magnum engines for the 360.

Rob, I believe the Magnum 5.2 was out before the 5.9 though. Not 100%

ive heard and read that the roller cams started in 1985 ,with a carburated engines,,on 318, i dont know about the 360 but intrested in the correct info,i may be looking for a 318 360 5.2 or 5.9 for a replace ment in my street rod

360 rollers started in 89.....got a mp crate engine shortblock sitting in large blue shipping container.

Can somebody refresh my memory? How do you nail down the year a block was produced? Is there any easy way to spot the roller-cam LA blocks without dis-assembling the engine?

It's cast in the pass side of the block. The roller cams were as said.. 318s got them with injection in 88, 360s IIRC in 89 with TBI. But, LAs after 85 should have the bosses for the roller retaining "spider" on the tops of the cam bearing bores. It's as easy as drilling and tapping them to run one.

-
Back