Which direction to go with build?

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
I have a 69 Dart that I am installing floor pans and patching the crossmember. While the pans were out I thought what better time to install a overdrive trans. I was thinking A518 (non lockup two wire). I found a donor trans from a 1 ton van that I think I could pick up for 100 bucks. I just installed a turbo action full manual valve body in my 727 last year and love it. Not sure which one I would like more though.
I also bought a set of 2 valve relief speed pro pistons that I wanted to install in place of the 4 valvers I am using now. At the same time I would ditch the stock rods for a set of Scat I beams with the hardened rod bolts.
I talked to my machinist and he has a set of ross forged pistons that a customer ordered and never used that he would sell me for cost. Zero deck the block and run it on E85. 11-1 or close to it.
I have also been reading up on turbo's. A single turbo would be cool but I would have to ditch the power steering. I could also run my 3.23 gears.

Option 1 speed pro pistons (allready payed for, Scat I beam rods,balance parts

Option 2 leave motor alone get A518 built to handle some abuse

Option 3 Ross pistons, Scat rods, Qiuck fuel E85 conversion, leave trans alone. (nitrous would be an option later)

Option 4 Turbo, manual steering box, leave tranny, Swap 3.91 gears for 3.23 (also own) Modify carb for blow through, upgrade fuel system from carter hi flow to electric.

Which direction and why. I would have 1000 to play with right away but after that 500 a month for the rest of the year.

At the track a few times a year. Live 24 miles from work. (usually borrow a trailer for any longer trips)

IMO;

Use what ya got, engine wise.
Use the 518 and install the 727's shift kit in it if possible. Sell 727 to recover costs.
I would not go the high compresion route for a E-85 fuel.
Leave the turbo for later, excellent idea though. But IDK if a grand will cover it all. For surley use a intercooler with the turbo.

The only worry there is Non Lock up high stahl. What to use for trans cooler. Thinking of mounting an a/c condensor behind rearend with an electric fan.

There are high stall lock up converters on the market.

Companies like B&M for example make coolers that get preety big if you need the size. Mount the cooler in front of the rad in clear plain straight line sight of the sir flow path. Run the cooler lines from the tranny to the stock rad cooler then out to the aftermarket cooler and then back to the tranny return line.

There are high stall lock up converters on the market.

Companies like B&M for example make coolers that get preety big if you need the size. Mount the cooler in front of the rad in clear plain straight line sight of the sir flow path. Run the cooler lines from the tranny to the stock rad cooler then out to the aftermarket cooler and then back to the tranny return line.

I have seen the high stall lock up converters but there isn't many. I like my converter choices on the non lock up side. Plus it will save me some $$$$ on the initial build. PATC #6B. Billet 10 inch lock-up converter with a 12 inch clutch for the 46RH / RE transmissions. Shown without the ring gear. Cost $1065.00 I have a aftermarket aluminum radiator that does not have a built in trans cooler. The car runs a little warm at highway speeds allready with the HHR fan I have installed (the shroud blocks a lot of air). The heat from the trans cooler would just be fuel for the fire.

Not exactly "Fuel for the fire" since since air flow should be cooling it and the air going through the cooler and then pass the rad should not effect the engie temp. If it does, the problem is not the trans cooler but else where with the engine and cooling system.

-
Back