Which rear springs and shocks?

-

71blueduster

Reaction score
Looking at the Mopar SS springs to raise the rear of the car for more tire clearance. Looking at Summit's catalog they have the 002/003 original 1968 Hemi SS springs or the 865/866 3300 lbs springs. I was wondering which ones would be the best choice. The car is a 71 Duster 340/727/8-1/4 that I would guess weighs about 3200 or a little heavier. Car is street/strip and I need to get some traction badly. I'll be getting some drag radials later on also, but the tires rub with the stock springs if I hit a big bump in the road.

Also what else new hardware should I get with the springs? And what shocks are everyone using with the SS springs. I have some cheap Napa shocks there now and would need extended ones for the new springs anyways.

Thanks for the help.

I have 002/003s and MP long shocks on my car. Make shure you buy new U bolts and a rear shackle kit. Makes it much easier.

Mancini Racing gives you a choice of one or the other free with a set of new springs.

IM000584.gif

Is moPar still having the Mexicans make springs with that metal?
Mine sagged quick. Totaly worthless in 2 weeks.
Go here; http://www.espo.com/

I have the HD MP springs in my Dart, and they are still solid, and they've been on over a year now.

I have the 002/003 springs on the back of the Duster. I didn't like the stink
bug look. So I flipped the front spring mount. Brought it back to about stock
height. Use plain gas charged shocks on the back. And Summit brand adjustable( 90/10) drag shocks front. Car lunches very well. I was able to put
255/60-15s in the stock wheelwells. Just my way of doing it. Pics of the stance is in my photo garage.

What weight are the P/N 3412002/3412003 springs for? I bought em' so long ago I forget...

Eric_S68 said:
What weight are the P/N 3412002/3412003 springs for? I bought em' so long ago I forget...
I'm not dead sure on this because it's been a while since I read it. But *I do believe* it's something like 2600 - 2800 lbs. Or in other words, a lightened A body. Done right.

I did mine exactly as briankaplan describes, 255s and all. Looks stock, everything fits well but tight and meaty if you look closely. As it should be, IMHO...

I installed the 002 and 003 springs on my 68 Dart GTS 340 and found all the front and rear mounts were rusted away. I replaced them with pieces I bought from Laysons. Be sure to check yours. The biggest tire I could get under my car was a 235/60/15. Be sure to check the back spacing on the wheels you have or want to buy. I saw a 70 Dart with 255 on the rear using rally wheels. Jeff

this is my 74 duster with the 002,003 super stock springs. the tires on the slots are 295-50-25 tires which fit completely in the stock fender wells without hanging out the side. the rallys are 255-60-16 bfg ta. the ss springs give the car a very nice stance without adding air shocks.

car pictures 013.jpg

DSC01494.JPG

-
Back