Which smallblock or combo?

-

71dusterdan

Reaction score
Over the course of a few years I have accumulated a pair of 360's, a set of late magnum heads, and then just recently a complete 340. Now I have been in love with the idea of a mag/la combo, and have been a 360 man my whole life. So what donI do? Do a mag headed 340? Mag headed360? Leave the 340 with the la heads? Let the opinions fly!

Over the course of a few years I have accumulated a pair of 360's, a set of late magnum heads, and then just recently a complete 340. Now I have been in love with the idea of a mag/la combo, and have been a 360 man my whole life. So what donI do? Do a mag headed 340? Mag headed360? Leave the 340 with the la heads? Let the opinions fly!

Biggest problem with the Mag head is they crack and eventually leak. LA heads are prone to cracking as well, so I guess if you have to use one or the other...magnum.
Typical 360 with Mag heads, KB 107's, thumpr cam with stock rockers, rpm intake, 750DP, should make 375HP give or take...but be careful of the stock chambers and flattop pistons. You really need a 67cc chamber to get around 10:1 compression so watch that.
Brian

IF staying with the factory iron is the course in which you travel, the option of a Magnum headed "LA" engine is a interesting idea. I myself would not travel this route because;

1; I like the "LA" head better. For it is a bolt on without issue of crossing over parts.

2; Any cam can be used, without any extra trick part.

3; The extra lift the 1.6 rocker ratio has on the Magnum head can be obtained by new and better than stock rockers @ a 1.6 ratio from many manufactures like Crane, Comp, Hughes engines, etc....

4; IF I was to do a Magnum headed "LA" combo, it would be well prep'd Edelbrock Magnum heads.

Now, what "I" would do is sell the old iron heads and go the above route if the Magnum/LA combo was a itch for me to do. What YOU do is purely up to you. I do not know where you stand on the performance aspect of this build. I myself am seeking a more than average power build in the next mill to be done for the "Hot Rod."

On the regular build, it'll just be a basic rebuild on the 360 with a very mild cam and prep'd "308" heads if they check out OK.

Sell the 340 and buy a set of 2.02 Iron Rams with the LA intake pattern.

See here.

LXguy on here has a Dart that goes 11s with a 'junkyard' 360 and a set of these heads.

See here.

I'd go 340 with aftermarket magnum heads EQ, RHS or eddy which piston is your 340 running if they stick out of the bore you'll have to stick with LA heads or a really thick gasket.

-
Back