Why am I drawn to the aluminum??

-
They still sell econo W2's? Bad *** head, expensive rockers....iron. 270/190 @ .500 lift. ported. But RHS irons kick *** too.

I can vouch for Brian's work my 410 stroker is a straight torque monster my heads flowed at 290+ when Brian was done with them go with Brian you won't be disappointed .

It's all cool,Ink.The pics,of your stuff ,rocks.I just want someone,to avoid, what I had to go through. Just making ,a truthful statement,of time spent fixing EXPENSIVE silliness.

Fixed it for you....

Port a set,Ink,until then screw off.Spend a few hours,actually porting.Quit being,a twat,get out of way.....

Moved,.100 off ,the top,the roof.Narrowed the P/R to .060. Bitchin,exhaust port.Left it ,alonr.Unlike you,I have actual flow numbers.....

Abody, I thought you were saying Brian's were the more expensive ones. My mistake, you were saying the Eddies need that much extra work.

Just an FYI.

You know how much more HP it takes to move a 3250# car to 12.00/112 that originally weighed in at 3200#.

FIVE hp... that's IT!

I'll take the weight penalty for an extra 15+ hp. Remember kids, as Barbie says, Math is HARD! :)

Definitely puts it in perspective.

Mad Dart Brian's RHS head's are some Bad Mo Fo's and for the $$ can not be beat. You want to dump another 1000-1500 into the Eddy's after you buy them for $1500.00 $1700.00 then they will start to contend with the Brian's RHS Head.
You got to remember Brian's gets those numbers and the heads are NOT Ported.

I would not have thought the Eddies needed a ton of work to compare based on what's "out there". Not doubting just glad I asked.

pishta They still sell econo W2's? Bad *** head, expensive rockers....iron. 270/190 @ .500 lift. ported. But RHS irons kick *** too.

Key word there I think is "ported".

dustya_383 I can vouch for Brian's work my 410 stroker is a straight torque monster my heads flowed at 290+ when Brian was done with them go with Brian you won't be disappointed .

That's a fairly impressive consensus. Enough to cure my aluminum infatuation I think :D.

I do appreciate all the input. I've been around long enough to know its not all hot air. Well maybe some of it - kidding of course. O:)

I like this guy,He is simply honest. This guy,has,done his homework,that simple.

My sorry,on two counts,Petty blue.Dealing,with my posts.Worse yet,you doing,the same.Tell me,you didn't shake your head....

I also have a set of prepped RHS heads from Brian, IMM. They FOR SURE woke up my stock bottom end 318. I installed the Edelbrock RPM cam, and manifold, 3000 stall converter and 355 gears. Runs Awesome!!

Link for Brian who does the excellent porting?

I thought you guys were talking about Racing Head Service, but on their website it appears all they do is GM and Ford. Is this someone from there doing Mopar stuff on his own time?

I thought you guys were talking about Racing Head Service, but on their website it appears all they do is GM and Ford. Is this someone from there doing Mopar stuff on his own time?

immengines.com. , member ou812

You're right, these heads were originally marketed as RHS/Indy iron heads but for reasons unknown (to me at least) RHS no longer sell them. They're still available through Indy though.

It comes down to personal experience in terms of the respondants here. Here's my thoughts... Iron is cheap. That's why it's used. It's heavier, harder to repair, and harder to port/modify. that's not math but simple fact. Look at any production car or a large percentage of racing cars - in any class, any type of racing. If it's not mandated it's either a labor of love or a cost issue to run an iron head. It's not that iron makes any special power. It's cheap.
The iron/vs aluminum in terms of compression is a load of bullshit. The builder knows (or should) what heads he's using when they start the parts chosing. So it's a moot point.
In terms of initial costs RPMs are sold complete for $1550/pr. They will need a good valve job and possibly springs. I have what I'm told is the most expensive shop in the world doing my work - it costs me another $450 for that work. So I'm at $2K plus shipping. IMM Indy/RHS are sold for $1469. In my opinion - having a local shop try to do them up will cost more. I know it would for me. Indy/RHS are sold bare - so you have to pay for the parts and labor and that will include the valve job. BTW - It's the valve job that gives the flow results. Both in terms of IMM's work and where the factory claims for RPMs' flow. You won't find an "out of the box" flow for the Indy/RHS - because they have no valves "in the box". In tems of flow figures - again - as a builder I know what I need to make "x" horsepower with "y" amount of flow. In terms of "non ported heads" the RHS and RPM are close to the same ready to run. Certainly close enough that a camshaft choice can even up the outputs of an two engines built similarly. So much of individual results are based on the flowbench setup that to me again - the differences are not that big of a deal.
So - it comes down to weight, bling, and cost. 50lbs afects ET more in a slower car but we're really only talking about .05 and 1mph. the horsepower should be the same regardless of the head choice unless the builder is restricted to using identical camshafts. But ask any road racer, or for that matter anyone that drives "spiritedly" daily what they can feel. I can feel 50lbs in my car. Be it the 5gal bucket of sand, a replacement bettery for my truck, bags of salt or feed in the trunk, or someone on the passenger's seat. It also affects fuel mileage and braking to a limited extent. I can feel it, and comparing regular driving to track time - I'm on the track .002% of the time.
Bling - iron's got no bling. Period...lol.
So totally broken down - in my experience - The difference comes down to $500 and road feel. If I have a customer who's going to spend $5500 on an engine then $500 is less than 5% of the budget and isn't a big stretch.

You got to keep this in mind too. Most here would rather bolt them on and go. Some don't know where or who to take their eddy's to so they can have this work done correctly. Not to mention they are too cheap and won't spend the extra $$. So that being said the IMM RHS heads fills that void very well.

As far as the car feeling light, my old 410 stroker with a 4 spd and 355 gears with the Brian's RHS's straight out got down. The car felt so light it was ridiculous. I miss the feeling/rush of driving it. It would top the front suspension out in any gear and felt like it was going to take flight! Never lost a street race in that car and there were many who tried.
Guy that felt the worst and who I became friends with later had a Chevy 383 stroker with a Pro Charger and EFI. He had absolutely no chance. That little Mopar left him with his tail between his legs. He could not believe I did not have any power adders. I had to prove it to him!! Those heads were one of the first sets Brian did. They only had a 1.92 intake valve in them also!

Pick your parts, pay your $$..... As some would say! :burnout:

Got the best of both worlds. One of my best friends built a nice bracket 360. Bought the Eddies, had them professionally ported and the bottom end let go (over rev'd it through the lights) after a few races taking out the whole motor. I picked up the heads from him for $400 and shipped them off to Brian. $600 more for a rebuild and a valve job. I can't get the grin off my mug.

Just hand the man his money and do what Brian suggests, you wont be dissappointed.

What a set of rhs flow ootb since there are none really doesn't matter since the op CLEARLY states he planned on buying IMM RHS heads. Making a comparison of the ede's to the imm is ABSOLUTELY valid as an OOTB comparison because the imm head does not come bare.

Running a hyd roller, you'll be upgrading springs or adding an inner. The parts that come on the ede's are not the same as the imm parts. You sure won't have spring interference issues if going roller rockers when using IMM rhs heads.

Slower cars overcome more weight easier, require less hp, than faster ones.

Some people don't like the chunk of aluminum look that the ede's have. I'm putting 24's on my car cause I like bling.. :pukel: If you want that look, have at it.

I have 3 sets of ede heads. I'd have NONE if the RHS heads had been out when I bought them. The ONLY way I buy ede's is if I get a great deal on a set and then have them worked over to my liking so I don't have more in them than a set of RHS $.

Even with a good VJ, the ede's in stock port form WILL NOT make equal power on the same engine as a set of IMM rhs heads. Try it on a 425hp 360... :)

Here's one of my engine and I think it looks like dogcrap with ede heads.
0221131826.jpg

425hp and looks pretty stock with a set of RHS heads.

MARCH_15_2012_012mod.jpg

It's got one of those, as most people think, junk performer 318/360 intakes on it. :)

Well one is Iron and the other is alum, according to some, you take alum every time. :) It's a generalization which will find you seeing tail lights.
yeah my tailights if you are near here!:burnout:

One minor clarification. The Eddies equipped for a roller cam (part #61775) cost a little more. $840 from Summit so $1680 a pair. If we add $450 that's about $650 over RHS from Brian.

My initial idea was to have just a basic check on the Eddies by a local shop for under $100. Perhaps that would turn into more spent depending on how they check out.

Interesting to me that a valve job can have significant flow effects. I assumed it would be minor.

I have to agree with cracked, the Eddies at least in that pic don't look so hot. They might look better painted.

The more I think about this, the more I believe IMM heads are the way to go. I'll be confident in the final product with the hands on approach. Likely the springs and valves are better quality and he does a cc check on them. Plus I get his advice in putting things together. I've tried to educate myself but without much experience, that's valuable to me.

As is shown by the interest in this topic, it's a very important part of the project. The opinions from both sides are really helpful in making a fully informed choice so thanks again to all.

-
Back