Why are hydraulic roller lifters, different on different sides in the engines?

-
The question is HOW MUCH lower the pressure is in the driver's side. I am guessing that it is normally a difference of <10 psi (purely based on some anecdotal evidence).

Think about normal lifter operatoin: The oil pressure naturally varies over a over wide range with temperature and RPM. So, the lifters ought to be designed so as to fill and operate properly with any pressure from as low as 5 psi (as a guess) to probably well over 100 psi. (And oil viscosity plays a small part too.) So any one lifter SHOULD work in either side just fine, despite any pressure difference.

So your noisy lifter is just a poor or lifter or a worn out check ball, check ball seat, or spring, that is letting oil leak out of the bottom chamber of the lifter when it is not running.

The biggest issue seems to be poor quality in the check valve materials or assembly these days. Rattling noisy, lifters seems to be a plague anymore. My son put in new set of lifters from NAPA in his 4.7L and they were quiet for a while but then some got noisy within 10,000 miles. I have also noticed that thinner oils will casue more noisy lifter problems.

BTW, the oil holes being different is just a simple design or manufacturing difference.

Last edited:
Alright! I thought the noise was from sludge & that's why the engine went apart to star with but now I understand the plate or ball or its seat might be worn, right?
The plate in those that had plates do have groves from the springs, so I reckon the "ball-ones" are the ones to prefer, no trace of wear on them at all...
So now I & you know, all of us who's been scratching our heads... :)

Yep, worn out because of lack of proper maintenance.

-
Back