Why can't I "learn" White Whale III project

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
for those unfamiliar, the White Whale I is my running 97 Dodge 1500. WWII is a junker, and WWIII is a 2500 I bought, bad 46RE automatic, to "fix up" and replace WWI

Then a disappointing tow on windy roads "felt" the need to convert the up coming?? WWIII to a stick instead of an automatic The torqueflite has been out of it over the disasterous winter...............

img_0715cs_zps2a7ijrzz-jpg.jpg

and STILL is not back together

Meanwhile, I've been gathering stuff for a "stick" conversion, including pedals, bell, "the wrong" NP435 (wrong ratio) when...........

The junkyard happened to mention they have a good 46RE for 300 bucks. I thought this would be an easy way to get it back on it's feet "for now" so..........

IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0957.JPG

AND TODAY I NOTICED that the stupid CRANK for the 5.9 Magnum IS NOT DRILLED!!! it's not shallow, it's not undersize, it's simply not drilled AT ALL!!! So putting a stick in that thing "will be fun"

Meanwhile, "I don't like" the 6.xx NP I picked up, so I'm looking for a close ratio box with the 4.x:1 low gear.

Maybe I should just get an apartment

Last edited:
for those unfamiliar, the White Whale I is my running 97 Dodge 1500. WWII is a junker, and WWIII is a 2500 I bought, bad 46RE automatic, to "fix up" and replace WWI

Then a disappointing tow on windy roads "felt" the need to convert the up coming?? WWIII to a stick instead of an automatic The torqueflite has been out of it over the disasterous winter...............

View attachment 1715058247

and STILL is not back together

Meanwhile, I've been gathering stuff for a "stick" conversion, including pedals, bell, "the wrong" NP435 (wrong ratio) when...........

The junkyard happened to mention they have a good 46RE for 300 bucks. I thought this would be an easy way to get it back on it's feet "for now" so..........

View attachment 1715058245

View attachment 1715058246

AND TODAY I NOTICED that the stupid CRANK for the 5.9 Magnum IS NOT DRILLED!!! it's not shallow, it's not undersize, it's simply not drilled AT ALL!!! So putting a stick in that thing "will be fun"

Meanwhile, "I don't like" the 6.xx NP I picked up, so I'm looking for a close ratio box with the 4.x:1 low gear.

Maybe I should just get an apartment

Would you mind posting a picture of the crank? I am new to Dodge motors but Im trying to learn. FWIW this conflicts a previous post of mine. Pilot Bearing ?

Would you mind posting a picture of the crank? I am new to Dodge motors but Im trying to learn. FWIW this conflicts a previous post of mine. Pilot Bearing ?

Too late the automatic is back in. The hole obviously has the converter recess, and then goes in "roughed" maybe?? about another 3/8" There is simply is no pilot hole at all

I will look over what I have and try to get some measurements. I have a couple of transmissions out, and at least three magnums tore down (5.2) I'll try and see what I can come up with One of them had an NV3500 5 speed behind

Del, I know what you mean. I've pearing down quite a bite the last few years and gonna do little more.

Well got'er fired up and the wheels turning on the hoist, two issues

1....Dust cover rubbed, so let it cool down and.......

2....Went down to transfer the plates off the wrecked Ranger to the Dodge. I went in the door late, so when I got to the counter, Boise was closed. They have the Dodge incorrectly "flagged" as salvage. I bought this as running/ licensed with a clear WA state title which I transferred........clear.......to ID. So it's a mistake.........NOW I get to go down there EARLIER again tomorrow WITH the title and get this mess straightened out.............

meanwhile, (1) above, get back home, pulled the dust cover, replaced the starter and fired it back up.........quiet!!........So now I get to grind the corners of the dust cover where the crank meets it to alleviate the noise.

With any luck I'll go for a "test" drive tomorrow, and THEN THE fun begins!!! "What's wrong" etc, with the rest of the truck, front end, brakes, etc

Boy-O-boy Del..... :( Sorry to read about the crappy stuff you have to go thru. Hoops, hoops and more hoops. What a world we live in. We can't do this nor that nor ..........maybe one day they will tax us to take dump.

Well, hope for tomorrow. On a side note, plates or no plates, I did take it around the block a couple of times here in the "hood" and what little I could do at 25mph it is at least encouraging!!!

A also "at dusk" ground the inside corners off the dustbin LOL and reinstalled it, so THAT does not seem to be an issue

Well we got 'er licensed, no idea "what happened" last night, I think the woman mis-read her computer somehow. COST ME FIVE DOLLARS to transfer the plates off the Recked Ranger to the White Whale III

Got er all the way up to 40 mph on some 35 mph surface streets. Part of the reason is the signals don't work, part is the camper was not bolted down.

So this afternoon I started working on the signal/ stop/ park lamps. Turns out sockets just needed the bulbs worked in/out at the rear, I put some anti ox greas on those

The fronts need new lamp sockets, AND I got the camper bolted down.

Can't really tell, seems to drive OK at 35--40, brakes work great, engine sounds good. Column shifter is worn out

Well I'm finally a bit excited. Tried to fix turn signals, but one socket up front still bad. Went for a drive, and the parts store, new wiper blades, spot mirrors, top off pwer steering, etc etc

Went for a short hop on the freeway, THE GOOD

Even though the tires are "crap" it seems to drive pretty good, and has EXCELLENT brakes, although I've no idea how much lining is left

The engine sounds EXCELLENT

Other than shift points the transmission works good. I'll have to consult "the book" to see if there's a kickdown adjust. I can't get it to kick down into low

The bad........fair dent lower right behind rear wheel

Needs "unfrosted" headlight I may swap the ones off the "Whale I" Needs at least one tail lamp housing

Has no AC but an "epiffany" solved that!!!! One night it "hit" me.........I have magnum parts and parts of AC, I can put most of the underhood/ pump stuff together with parts on hand.

THEN I WILL buy a "knee knocker" evap and just throw that in under the dash!!!

................And.................the jubilance is premature, LOL. A short run of the freeway this morning shows no converter lock, and no OD function. I am Googling and reading the manual NOW!!! LOL

-
Back