Pilot Bearing ?

-

93ragtop

Reaction score
I am searching for a 360 magnum for a future project. (87 dakota ) But my question is, can I use a magnum engine out of a truck that came equipped with a automatic transmission? I will be puttting a NV3500 transmission behind it.
In searching the internet, I have found 3 answers.
1. It will work fine, they all, are machined for the pilot bearing,
2. Some are machined .020 too small, and have to be machined to accept the bearing.
3. Some were not machined at all.
This site seems to be the most accurate I have found on magnum swaps so I value and appreciate any input.
Thanks for your help.

That comment about being too small, iirc, only applied to pre magnum engines, as magnum use a different bearing.

I use the magnum bearing and have had no issues on three different engines.

Yes and you can use the Magnum/ Jeep bearing / bushing in the older LA engines as well (The mag/ Jeep comes as a bushing, aftermarket, as well as needle bearing)

OP: You are right "generally." I once had a 440 I had to have the crank finish machined for diameter AS WELL AS depth. "Back then" it was fairly common to chop 3/8" or so off the end of the pilot shaft to accomodate a shallow crank recess. Somewhere I have seen crank photos that weren't drilled at all, beyond the converter recess.

And yes, some of the pilot recesses were deep enough, but were not finish machined to diameter.

Simple:

Check the transmission for depth by measurement from the bell mounting, and use a Magnum / Jeep pilot

Jeep / Magnum, goes in the converter snout recess

magnumbushingonleft.jpg

I have not seen a magnum crank that wont accept a pilot since I pulled the first one in 95. I have pulled a few a month, at least, since then to give you an idea how many I have taken apart. Pretty safe to assume 0 out of hundreds means you are safe. Pulled 3 last week. Say 24/year x 20 years is 480 but probably more. I bet a 6 pack you are safe.

Thanks for all the replys!! I found a 5.9 out of a 97 1500. The pictures show it complete with manifolds, front accessories, including the AC. I am going to try and contact them and look at it. FWIW I meant to say earlier, when looking on Rockauto at crankshafts they show a different one for auto or manual, yet they show the same casting and factory part numbers. Dont make a lot of sense. Thanks again, and I feel sure before I get this project finished Ill be back with more questions!!

You can give us a call anytime with questions or if you need anything. PM for # or find us on the web. Are you using injection or carb?

Great timing. I'm wondering about this myself. I've got a 99 5.9 that I'm putting an AX-15 transmission behind. I bought a clutch kit for the 98 3.9L Dakota (truck the trans came from) and the pilot bearing absolutely wouldn't go in the 5.9. I even put the bearing in the freezer overnight and tried using assembly lube to get it in. Finally I went on Amazon and ordered another timken bearing, should be here Tuesday so we'll see....

You can give us a call anytime with questions or if you need anything. PM for # or find us on the web. Are you using injection or carb?

Evan, sorry to take so long getting back. When I find a motor, and if or when the heads are cracked, Ill be calling you for a new set and cam.
Thanks for everyones help.

-
Back