Why you shouldn't use tacky super gasket sealant on your transmission gasket!

-

danielb927

Reaction score
Using that stuff, coupled with torquing the pan down incorrectly (did a criss cross pattern but did each bolt all the way tight at once, rather than finger tight, mostly tight, final torque increments) lead to this after under a mile of driving and just enough engine running to get the fluid level correct:

0822091829.jpg

Yep! Install that gasket dry and tighten slow.

X4!

I use the "Right Stuff " sealer on all my tranny pans, never even a hint of a leak.The one in my truck was done 3 years ago and my dart was over 4 years ago.Unlike silicone and most other sealers tranny fluid doesn't bother the Right stuff

I gotta get some of that, I've gone through almost 4 gaskets now trying to get my 904 to stop leaking. I think the pan is still a little warped or bent slightly.

BTW what's the proper tightening sequence, if there is one?

Go to your local Dodge dealership, they sell reuseable gaskets for the 904 and 727 made of rubber and metal so you can't over tighten them and they seal good with no silicone, I have used 2 of these and they work great!

I use cork and light coat of Permatex Spray-A-Gasket, no problems in 20 years. But the dealer rubber/metal are a good way to go as well. I don't know the right stuff.

NEVER and I mean NEVER use silycone on a trans gasket, I love my blue Permatex for valve covers but it has to be VERY light.

-
Back