Wilcap Slant Six to 200R4 conversion

-
I can see where the owner wouldn't want to do a run if kits from the last one languished on his shelves for a while. You can't stay in business long with product that isn't moving tying up your investment capital.
That said, the .org guys are talking about a group buy with 10 confirmed orders. If that's the break even on a run and there's profit in it, the owner is allowed to change his mind.

I can see where the owner wouldn't want to do a run if kits from the last one languished on his shelves for a while. You can't stay in business long with product that isn't moving tying up your investment capital.
That said, the .org guys are talking about a group buy with 10 confirmed orders. If that's the break even on a run and there's profit in it, the owner is allowed to change his mind.
When I spoke to Wildcap a while back i was told they stock no inventory, they are made on a as called for basis....

I can also see, why they don't sell any. Their web catalog doesn't list any adapter for the slant six (they do list for the Chrys flathead six). If people that are looking, can't find it, how do they expect to sell it.

If he's doing it right, it shouldn't languish on his shelf at all. Receive order, build kit. I'm guessing he's not CNC, or this would be cake for him.

So... its just a flat plate with all the mounting holes centered around the crankshaft centerpoint in their appropriate locations?
If that is true then I think that a NAG-1 such as what is used in The LX/LY body platform
would be an EXCELLENT swap.
It can take the torque stock and the gearing ... the gearing isnt bad at all:

• 1st Gear - 3.59:1
  • 2nd Gear - 2.19:1
  • 3rd Gear - 1.41:1
  • 4th Gear - 1.00:1
  • 5th gear - 0 .83:1
  • Reverse - 3.16:1
And there are stand alone controllers available. Reasonably priced in junkyards.

A few of issues beyond the issue of physical fitment. First gear is way too low...people complain about the 700r4 which is 3.09. The OD ratio isn't much different than 4th, and won't drop RPM's the way the .67 in the 200 will. Finally, you'll have to pay for both an adapter ($600) and a controller ($750).

A few of issues beyond the issue of physical fitment. First gear is way too low...people complain about the 700r4 which is 3.09. The OD ratio isn't much different than 4th, and won't drop RPM's the way the .67 in the 200 will. Finally, you'll have to pay for both an adapter ($600) and a controller ($750).

First gear is not "way too low" if you run a 3.23 final-drive, which will give you an overdriven 4th gear of (.83 X 3.23) 2.68:1. Just about right.

With the 3.59 first gear, you'd have an overall ratio of 11.6:1 which compares with a 2.82 first gear and a 4.10 final drive; plenty of stump-pulling gear.

So, if you take advantage of the deep first gear, (by running a 3.23 ring and pinion,) the .83:1 OD ratio is no longer an issue. You have a good 1st gear for launches and an effective overdrive.

My 2-cents...

Bill, I certainly respect your opinion. We can both produce examples of higher and lower 1st gear ratios. I guess the point I was making is the NAG-1 is not a perfect solution and has as many, or more, pitfalls than the 200. I've searched this forum, and others, pretty thoroughly for a reasonable OD solution and this seems to be the best bet. With all the prior discussion that has gone on here and on the Slant Six forum, maybe I should simply have asked why he'd bother bringing that topic into a dedicated 200-4r thread...

Bill, I certainly respect your opinion. We can both produce examples of higher and lower 1st gear ratios. I guess the point I was making is the NAG-1 is not a perfect solution and has as many, or more, pitfalls than the 200. I've searched this forum, and others, pretty thoroughly for a reasonable OD solution and this seems to be the best bet. With all the prior discussion that has gone on here and on the Slant Six forum, maybe I should simply have asked why he'd bother bringing that topic into a dedicated 200-4r thread...

I don't have an opinion about that (NAG-1) transmission since I am not familiar with it; I just thought that the gear ratio "problem" (1st seemed too low,) could be eliminated by running a final drive that would seemingly "fix" two problems simultaneously.

It decreases the torque multiplication in first gear to a reasonable overall ratio (11.6:1) while making the weak OD ratio of .83:1 a pretty good highway gear @ 2.68:1. That would seem to sufficiently "tall" for anything bit Bonneville.

If I am missing something here, please explain it to me.

As I said, I don't know anything at all about those transmissions and don't have a dog in this fight at all...

I just thought the ratios were pretty workable, as presented, with the 3.23 gear.

No argument; just my opinion...

Not at the point of thread hijacking. I apologize for misposting it will be deleted and then reposted elsewhere.

Sorry to bring this up again but where can I get one if they are available, if not maybe a print to make one for a 200r4 to /6. Thanks

-
Back