will this run on pump gas ?

-
I ran into the same problem building my 360. I am using kb107's with 62cc heads. I just ordered custom cometec gaskets to match the compression I wanted. I can't remember the exact thickness, I think they are around .098. They are EXPENSIVE though. I think I paid around 180.00 for each one:(

I have a feeling u lost any usable quench with .098 head gaskets.
I'm doing a 360 right now with the kb372 quench pistons, it was either $1500 head's or 300 dollar pistons and some porting..lol

so what would be the best head/piston combo for what Im trying to do ?

I could run the KB232 with the 18cc dish. With a 62cc closed chamber and a .025" head gasket I would be at 9.75:1 and 8.37:1 respectively. Am I putting to much thought in to this ? LOL

I could run the KB232 with the 18cc dish. With a 62cc closed chamber and a .025" head gasket I would be at 9.75:1 and 8.37:1 respectively. Am I putting to much thought in to this ? LOL

You might be, lol

I would go with the other pistons, chances are the piston will sit below the deck .015 -.020. You can always open the chambers up -un shrouding the intake area is a great idea and the chamber will gain CC's

I like that cam, 112 lbc and 222 @ .050 will give a good strong idle and still pull to an easy 6,000 with the right valve springs. I know around here, I spend lots of time sitting at red lights. You can't go anywhere without stopping for a min every so often. The rough the engine idles the more uncomfortable it gets, motor smooths right out around 1,300 once you get moving again--problem is traffic no longer wants to get moving again

Mr Gasket has a .053 thick head gasket -ultra seal ??

Use a cold spark plug and with an air gap intake it might be fine -you live in the South I believe - Always can run 28-30 degrees timing if you have to. Once its broken in and tuned just right then try 32 degrees

KB recommends no more then 32 degrees total timing with hyper pistons !

CT...well I go with a RPM non air gap. Carb icing happens before 32 degrees - I don't know how but it does. Its been in the 30's at night here, a air gap intake would run awful and foul the plugs. The intake needs some heat with a carburetor

Adam, Brian offers those heads with chambers from 62-67cc...

http://www.immengines.com/rhsheads.html

I would not base anything on the advertisement from hughes unless they actually cc the head, put a decent depth surface cut on them or have the valves very proud in the chamber.

I think you can get acceptable CR's with 107's, RHS heads and quench . Verify chamber volume you ate going to receive.

I'm coming up with 9.75 static, 8.85 dynamic, 180 psi , you could get by on 91 octane , but if u could dial it to 9.5 ...ud be in the 170's cranking psi.

Try playing with the Wallace dynamic comp calculator, everytime Ive run the numbers with any of my motors...it matches the cyl psi I find when testing ..great calculator.

Justin, Ive been using the calculator on KBs site. It adds 15* to the intake closing #

KB232s, zero deck, MP thin (.028ish) head gaskets, that cam you mentioned. That's what I'd run.

edit - Or - the KB107s at zero deck, and a set of LA 360 heads, with the cam you mention.

The important thing is regardless of using or ignoring qunch effects, you have to keep dynamic (or the cylinder pressure as Justin notes) in mind if you want to run pump gas. and that pressure will rise as rpms and efficiency of the engine does. I tend to stay conservative because the gas around me is so bad and inconsistant from station to station.

I'm coming up with 9.75 static, 8.85 dynamic, 180 psi , you could get by on 91 octane , but if u could dial it to 9.5 ...ud be in the 170's cranking psi.

Try playing with the Wallace dynamic comp calculator, everytime Ive run the numbers with any of my motors...it matches the cyl psi I find when testing ..great calculator.

Run this with RHS heads or Magnum heads period and you will have a nice setup that will run pump gas no problem.

is the aluminum head "more detonation tolerance" just a myth?
has anyone here solved a detonation problem in this style of build by using alum. heads?

has anyone here solved a detonation problem in this style of build by using alum. heads?
They did a magazine test and I believe that they said it was, but most believe it is not because they say it dissipates heat better, but not 100%.

It's not a myth. But, what's normally lost in the shuffle is that closed chamber designs of either material are much more detonation resistant when built with the science of quench affect than open chamber of either material. A properly designed engine takes into account the properties of the head material and the mechanical advantages of the chamber shape. So while aluminum does take more heat out of the chamber and reduce surface temps in the chamber, a good builder will just add more heat and make more power.
Your question would really be pertaining to an engine that was poorly designed from the get go, and is now looking to crutch it into less tendency to detonate. In that case it may be better to address the other causes of too much cylinder pressure that are cheaper and easier - i.e. the camshaft.

-
Back