Will this setup work for my 340 build?

-

GDL

Reaction score
So, after a bit of digging around how about this for a build?

Intake manifold: stock '73, debating on what to do with egr valves.
Pistons: KB hypers (hopefully 4.04 bore)
Rods: stock made in USA, woohoo
Timing chain: anyone make a gear drive ;)
Cam: comp xe 268
Carb: vintage TQ rebuilt or an edelbrock 800 cfm
Gears: 3.23 non posi
Converter: low 2000 stall
Heads: '70 340 heads with 2.02 and 1.60 valves
Headers/Exhaust: nice longtubes and a 2.25 H pipe system.
Ignition: Electronic

It'll be going into the wife's '72 dart.

Will this run decently enough? Yes, I know I'm giving up power by not using an air gap but, I have a clean manifold just sitting. And I have a wife and kids.

If its rebuilt, the bore will be at least 4.060 at .020 over.
Use the eddy carb..imo... the intake while being a decent stock offering should be replaced just due to the fact that it weighs a ton.

Other than that is my parts selection ok? Also, does the air gap sit higher than the stocker?

The more I look at the air gap manifold the more it reminds me of a Pontiac manifold.

hi, I measured both cast intakes, 71/72 versus 73, all are same height!! there is nothing wrong with a T.Q. intake, they flow quite well!!! also the T.Q. carb works well also. just food for thought.

Use the OE intake and just bolt the EGR valve on and leave it unhooked. The EGR valve operates in this fashion. With a high vacuum signal, AKA at cruise, it is open. With a low vacuum signal, AKA, at wide open throttle (WOT) the valve closes shutting off flow from the cylinder head.

The exhaust gasses only enter the engine at idle, cruise and then shuts closed on a harder acceleration. (Partial opening with reduced vacuum signal)
Since the EGR valve is unhooked up, it is the same as it would be at WOT, no vacuum signal. The valve stays closed!

Run the TQ on the OE intake for these reasons;

The smaller primaries will have;

A higher velocity through them
Better fuel atomization
Better torque
Easier to tune
Excellent throttle response
An edge in mileage

Use bent AFB rods at 3/4 inch shorter for a TQ

This is the best option carb to use in a street strip effort or less, down to stock app's. when the secondary side kicks In there's no missing it!

Just find a OE thick gasket to put under it and avoid the problem of to much heat to the carb.

Milodon makes a gear drive. IDK a out Pete Jackson anymore.
IMO, exhaust @ 2-1/2
On the ignition, get the system working at its best. On e you have it all dialed in and tuned up, install a MSD (or equal) and have the electronic system as a secondary back up.
A great place to hide it is under the battery tray.

I like it- on the EGR - you can get a block off plate from a lot of similar vintage stck big blocks or make one. I don;t knwo if you can buy them but I doubt it. The floor jets - just remove them and use either and allen headed pipe plug or std pipe plugs for them. It's a good intake other than that - almost equal to the 71/72 T-quads which were the best. Unless you want noise - run a good chain and tensioner rather than a gear drive. A cheap one won't be any better than a chain but will be noisey - a good one won't be as noisey and is invisble once installed. That will be a nice street engine and look stock.

-
Back