Would you paint aluminum radiator?

Would you paint aluminum radiator

• Total voters
-
That is a myth mostly marketed by Eastwood. Any black enamel is "radiator paint".
This is exactly what my local radiator shop said when I asked.

I use this on headers and radiators.

IMG_6137.jpeg

I voted and posted black since you have no other bling as it would stand out. And it is a slippery slope.
But I love polished stuff. You start with one piece and before you know it the car looks like it is in 1978.

And don't get me wrong I loved 1978. I think the movie Hot Tub Time Machine is silly. If one Ad transported back to early 80s I would not try and get back.

Last edited:
That is a myth mostly marketed by Eastwood. Any black enamel is "radiator paint".
A friend Radiator Dave says same thing. Dave redid them whole life. They used cheapest black bulk paints at the shop.

I voted and posted black since you have no other bling as it would stand out. And it is a slippery slope.
But I love polished stuff. You start with one piece and before you know it the car looks like it is in 1978
Your car is definitely the King of the Hill when it comes to polished stuff. I’ve spent a lot of time drooling over the pictures.

I painted the aluminum radiator in my 68 Dart. There was zero difference in running temp and I didn't use "radiator paint." Any good paint will work - just don't lay it on thick. Common sense is key.

Cold Case, Tech Coatings black. '69 Dart, cast iron pump.

20221101_190917.jpg

I will likely get flamed but painting it (and transmissions) will make them cool better, there is scientific data to prove it. Black bodies radiate heat better. Thermodynamics is something that is typically counter intuitive. Plus I dislike the looks of aluminum radiators... I need to see a Pentastar on it to be happy :)

been using aluminum radiators in front of my small blocks for over 10 years. Always painted the fins and what ever else shows through the grille black. Always had them cool better than the 3 core AC/340 stock radiators. Never had a cooling issue with them even with trans coolers and AC condensers in front of them. I drive the cars a lot in all kinds of conditions including the states along Rt 66 last summer in July

-
Back