Would you treat a customer this way?...

-

Chris Robson

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I uasually do not like to "slam" vendors, but in search for a carb part, I received this response. I will not devulge the vendor (please email me to discuss), but needless to say I was caught completly "off guard" by this response. I have included my inquery and the response I received.

...very disappointing...

Chris Robson

Good Evening,

I have a Carter AFB 4294 S carb for a 273 manual transmission engine. One of the screws on the top half of the carb for the step up piston cover. Has broken the internal casting. My question is this.

Do you have any correct replacement top halves? I would really like to keep this carb and hope I can either fix the carb, or by a NOS, used, whatever, top halve. Are there significant differences on the top half of the carb's for this series? I know that between 1964-66 multiple variations were produced for the 273 (most of which were for Manual vs. Automatic)

If this is not possible, do you have the capabilities to rebuild, or repair this carb?

Here are the model numbers for the 1964 through 1966 carb's for the MOPAR 273 engine (manual and automatic)

3843, 3844
4113, 4114, 4119, 4120
4294, 4295, 4304, 4305

Please let me know if you can assist me. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Chris Robson

Dear swift NOT
We spend thousands of dollars on our web site and it says in plain English several times that we do not sell parts for carburetors. It clearly says on the front page that we sell carburetors only, no parts. When not so swift, people like you click on the web site and then email us it costs us over 5 bucks just to tell you something that is in plain sight. Then you asked about a very rare carburetor and expect us to tear apart a good core just to sell the top. Yes we have several of those tops, but we would have to sell one for $350. I guess a guy like you wants to get one for $10.
Read before you jump!
XXXXX

maybe post the wb and lets slam him one!

What an a..

Wow, I would post the vendors name and let everyone email him asking for parts. 7000 members X $5 an email should be a pretty costly day.

The guy's an azz. Aparently his girlfriend cut him off and he was having a bad day. toolman

Here is my opinion ... A short simple request "Can you fix this ?" with a picture would be better.
Might have gotten a simple "No" for a reply.
He probably is much more friendly to those asking , "Can I spend 300+ with you today ?" I doubt he's getting a lot of those type given todays economy.
He probably has his hopes up before opening and reading 1/2 dozen emails just like yours every day.

Maybe just a pissy rep. not very good at customer service, could have let you know quite differently that they have refurbished carbs only...maybe tey need a pre-typed response for "all the stupid questions"

If it really costs him $5 to respond, and he couldn't help you anyway, maybe he should just have ignored your e-mail. Instead he popped out his *** for everyone to see.

Don't get pissy with him.......

Go over his head so far that he gets nose bleed from looking up when the questions come from upstairs. Crap rolls downhill and gathers speed on the way.
Find out the company owners name and write him a letter and include a copy of the reps response.
In these hard economic times, the last thing a company needs is 7000 plus people giving it a bad name.

Keep us posted.

Write a letter to higher ups include your request and response you received and inform them of the bad publicity they just bought for five bucks on a site with over 7000 members. See if you get a response kissing your *** asking how they can make it right. If not post the company info here so we can all steer clear and not give them any undeserved business!

Go ahead... post the vendor. Please....

I don't know why a vendor would go OUT OF HIS WAY to alienate potential customers. :angry7:

well for one,, im pretty sure he doesnt have any carb tops for that carb,, the neck is smaler on the older 500 cfm,,carbs then the modern one,,altho i dont know if the modern tops will interchange,,some one has to have a junk old 500 siting around for parts,,sorry to learn of your hate fulll reply from him,

Why couldn't you, the poster with ONE post just call the vendor, if you did not understand his website instructions and details?

Take up too much of YOUR time?

I have a few old carters lying around....can't say what will work but the carb is yours for just the shipping. give me specs to check some by.

Chris, you should write back and say to him "I would have paid $500.00 for the correct carburetor top to make my car authentic but after receiving your unprofessional reply I will take my business elsewhere." People seem to think that because they`re not standing face to face with a customer, they don`t have to show them the same respect they would in person. That shows the true character of that person/company. Like the others said, I would let the owner know of that rep and find another company to deal with...............oh, and find at least ten friends to share this story with.:toothy10:

Yep, word of mouth is the best -- and possibly the WORST -- advertising money can't buy. This still blows my doors.

I learned a long time ago that if you make 10 customers happy you might get 10 good references at most. But if you piss 1 person off they will tell EVERYONE they know about the poor service. I agree with so many others here, tell everyone here who it was so the rest of us will know who to avoid.

Go ahead Chris and post the vendor, I'll tear the guy a new one for being such a moron. It's high time all people take responsibility for there actions especially those that think they can hide behind e-mails. All that joker had to say is we do not sell parts just complete assemblies and further would you be interested in a complete assembly, if so please reply. There that wasn't so hard was it.

Terry

-
Back