wrenching on your car in crappy weather

-
Just a month ago we seen weather here in Michigan 30°below zero and of course my 1999 dodge ram decided it wouldn't start and after four days of messing with it a hour at a time I found a bad body ground and once I was able to get it running it was buried in the back yard and not only did I have to clean in and around the truck I had to snow blow a path up and out of my yard because we had atleast a foot of snow.
Then this week I had to move two 68 barracudas around the house that were buried in snow but atleast it was around 20° then

I drove a 68 Barracuda for 7 years everyday in Michigan weather. Got it from my brother with 200,000 on it, finally had to retire it after it hit 500,000 miles. The body had finally started going to bad...

However with those narrow stock tires, and a 3.23 sure grip, I had no trouble getting through snow. Better than my wife's Neon...

WHOA! NICE!

Give me the cold over hot when it comes to turning wrenches. Coveralls good gloves and hat and you wolnt hear me complain. Until it goes below -5...then I wolnt complain ill just stay inside:)

IDK, the extremes suck no matter how you put it. On the flip side to my cold nightmare story, once again I'm working on my '73-4spd Cuda but this time, OH dear Lord, the temp was high. Not that 95 or so plus is the worst temp I ever experienced in my life, it was just the approx. 20* jump from the prior week that made the day so murderous!

Once again, my daily driver gave me trouble. By this time however, the Cuda was a nice street stripper car. My Magnum (79) gave up. The engine just lost oil pressure and, well, never mind.........

All day, with blinding sweat dripping like someone had a hose over my head (And boy I wish that were the case....) I swapped out the cam, intake, carb and installed the MoPar head shims under the heads to drop that wacky ratio down to puke pump swill 87 and center section of the rear from 4.10's to 3.23's.

It was a Torker II 340 and a 750 and the purple 292/.509. Fun streetcar in the early 90's. Not to friendly on gas. Which was a whooping $1.35 for 93. I didn't complain then. But traveling 25 miles one way to work everyday wasn't what I'd call fun in at least one rush hour traffic run.

The 625 Carter on a LD-340 with a small Crane (216-228 @ .050) helped a lot along with the 3.23's.

had to chisel a frozen wheel bearing off a 67 polara wagon, it was on the side of hwy 95
raining and 35mph winds, it sucked as my dad watched, he called it a field learning lesson.
I was 16 years old at the time, aah, the good ole days.

Sure was crapping today...gotup 57 degrees....sunny no clouds...

When I was 17 I bought a 68 Charger R/T out of a junk yard for $200 because it had a blown transmission and I had a new one at home. We lived in a small farming town that had gravel streets. We were determined to R&R that tranny that night, so a friend and I got after it with a bumper jack and some cinder blocks. I couldn't even find a piece of cardboard to lay on the gravel! The header bolts were absolutely stuck, so we had to twist and turn the damned tranny every which way to get it out (dropped it onto an old tire) and then had to do the bench press thing to get the new one in. We were out there all night, and I was covered in tranny fluid the next morning, but we got it in! Sad thing is I had to give the car back 3 months later because it turned out to be stolen in another state. :mumum:

And then there was the time that I needed to pull a transmission out of a 61 Fury at a junk yard. It was muddy due to recent rain, but I talked the owner into setting a 55 gallon oil drum under the back of the car and into the mud I went. This was the old style where the bell housing was bolted on, so just had to undo the tranny bolts from the bellhousing and pull it back onto an old tire. Just as I slid the tranny out from under the car, the whole thing slipped off of the oil drum and came crashing down. The stuff you do when you're a kid.....:eek:ops:

I remember going to Oklahoma and building a 360 with Asa & Cliff a year and a half ago during the summer. The temps were literally 108° for the "coolest day" and 114° for a few of the days. We would work outside in the garage for 30 - 45 minutes and then take a break for that long in the A/C of the house and drink cold water to cool down. then back out, and in again. Over and over until we got it together for the whole week.

We set a record here for most days above 90° in a year that year.

-
Back