yes, more 360 questions...

-

Scat Pack

Reaction score
My plan is to build a magnum 360 for the dart. i read a really good article that someone posted in a thread about a mostly stock lower end magnum making 440hp, maybe from popular hotrodding or something like that. PLEASE someone link me to that, ive been searching for 3 days lol. so i've sourced an engine to start with, the article had cam and head recommendations. i got this weiand tunnel ram from a friend and it would be cool to use it, unless its gonna be detrimental to power. also, they suggest edelbrock performer rpm heads for the magnum. do these heads accept LA style angled bolt intakes? looks like they do. is there a cheaper, easier route to take? J or X maybe?

lets discuss, i need some information. yes i've read through every magnum thread i could find.

thanks alot everyone. anyone in the st louis area thats done a magnum swap? or just a 360 swap that i might be able to get ahold of from time to time.

if you have a magnum block, you can not use J or X heads, the magnum heads oil thru the pushrods ....the x/j heads oil thru the shaft from oil passage coming up from the block...

the magnum will not be able to oil the x/j heads,,,,

you can use the eddy magnum heads....

thats true, i forgot about that. well i guess its time to get to saving up. thanks again for that link. seemed like i searched forever.

maybe i'll have to find a regular old 360 then. well the 360 im looking at this weekend is a 1992 model year. i guess that wouldnt be a magnum then. i could go either way at this point. im just looking for a good, reliable 360 between 400 and 500 horse after i build it. when i read that article i got all jazzed up about buying a magnum, and i like the idea of just doing a H/C/I swap and not messing with the lower end at this point. eventually i would like to go stroker with it. but i want to enjoy a somewhat less expensive option for the time being.

i thought so. is the only difference the verticle bolts versus the angled bolts?

lets steer this discussion to magnum versus regular 360. the reason i liked that particular build in the article is because it has some legit dyno numbers that sound good and its not going to cost me a fortune.

i would be very interested in an older one.

it seems like 360s are almost a sore subject on this board. every post ive read people are bickering and discounting other people builds and plans.

so whats a good cheap way to acheive a 450-500 horse N/A 360 on a budget. lets assume i have a good used longblock to work with and i'd like to use the t-ram that i already have. what heads, cam, rockers etc...? thanks

There are many different ways to make a 360 make good power, but I can't think of any "cheap" ways to make 450-500 without spray...sorry but, Mopars just cost more to build than Chevy's...no two ways about it.

will that method work on a edelbrock STR12 intake too? thanks.

The heads drilled for an LA Intake should accept ANY LA intake. I dont know exactly about what kind of intake the STR12 is, if it is MAGNUM based then no it will not work on LA heads, but if you have it Dual Drilled it will accept ANY Magnum or LA intake.

The heads drilled for an LA Intake should accept ANY LA intake. I dont know exactly about what kind of intake the STR12 is, if it is MAGNUM based then no it will not work on LA heads, but if you have it Dual Drilled it will accept ANY Magnum or LA intake.

The STR-12 is a "LA" small block cross ram you often see it's bigger brother on HEMI engines and to a lesser extent, the 440's. The intake has a flat top with twin carbs on each side of the intake top. Not inline. One sits kind of, like over the drivers side valve cover, almost, slightly foward and the other carb sits the sme way only slightly back further towards the firewall more.

OH Wait, WTF is wrong with me!?!?! Here, have a picture. I stole this from "Panic" I hope my fellow Islander doesn't mind so much. If your interested in some serious tech stuff, click this; http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/mopar-tech.htm

STR-12-1.jpg

Wow, never seen that intake before. Bet is costs an arm and a leg, along with a ********.

lets steer this discussion to magnum versus regular 360. the reason i liked that particular build in the article is because it has some legit dyno numbers that sound good and its not going to cost me a fortune.

i would be very interested in an older one.

it seems like 360s are almost a sore subject on this board. every post ive read people are bickering and discounting other people builds and plans.

so whats a good cheap way to acheive a 450-500 horse N/A 360 on a budget. lets assume i have a good used longblock to work with and i'd like to use the t-ram that i already have. what heads, cam, rockers etc...? thanks

I just got through installing a 95 Magnum in my 71 Dart, don't know what your budget is, but if you want to keep cost down, you'll most likely have to leave the shortblock original, but you may not reach your goal of 450 hp, what i did was, purchased some RHS magnum heads, had the stock cam reground, installed headers, RPM crosswind intake, & ignition, its never cheap with these mopars, i'm in mine about 1800.00+ so far, & its running, thats with all new gaskets, fuel pump, WP, wires/plugs, If i had to guess, i'd say mines around 320-330 FWHP, so about 260-270 RWHP, thats not too shabby, the nice thing about these RHS heads is they will support 450 HP stock, 550 ported & larger valves, but the 1110 springs will only support .500 lift, for me thats fine, my cams at .477 with 1.6s, i'm just going to drop on an NX plate kit & throw 100-125 shot at it, my goal is an 11.99 with some gear & stall & stickies, i may slowly trim weight off the car too, what you really should do is have a goal of what you want the car too run, then find out what RWHP/weight will get you there.

thanks for the input guys. by cheap i mean just not having to throw 5 grand at it at once, i understand i'm gonna have to drop some coin. will i have to stroke it to get that kind of power? was hotrod mag exaggerating their 440 hp claim with stock lower end, eddys, cam, intake and carb combo? it would be nice to build at least a 400+ hp engine, magnum or not, with a stock shortblock and then down the road stroke it or spray it.

i guess what im looking for is not speculation but someone on here who is making good power and what they did... without tearing into the shortblock for the time being. assuming i buy a good condition short block that doesnt require machining or rebuild. i want that power while i save up for something even better. its like a short term goal for the dart.

JoeDust451, sounds like you have a nice engine in there, i might have some questions about the swap when the time comes.

flyfish, i dont even like the word chevy lol, this aint my first rodeo i know these arent that cheap to build. but at least it doesnt have a bowtie on it.

a-bomb, thats the most badass intake ive ever seen for a smallblock. end of story.

right now im just trying to get a plan together before i end up with a bunch of parts i dont really need. thanks again everyone

The thing about using a stock short block is the pistons. They most likely will not produce the compression you require to make the HP you want. And they'll be cast, which is ok, but 450 hp on stock cast pistons, don't think you'll do it.

thanks for the input guys. by cheap i mean just not having to throw 5 grand at it at once, i understand i'm gonna have to drop some coin. will i have to stroke it to get that kind of power? was hotrod mag exaggerating their 440 hp claim with stock lower end, eddys, cam, intake and carb combo? it would be nice to build at least a 400+ hp engine, magnum or not, with a stock shortblock and then down the road stroke it or spray it.

i guess what im looking for is not speculation but someone on here who is making good power and what they did... without tearing into the shortblock for the time being. assuming i buy a good condition short block that doesnt require machining or rebuild. i want that power while i save up for something even better. its like a short term goal for the dart.

JoeDust451, sounds like you have a nice engine in there, i might have some questions about the swap when the time comes.

flyfish, i dont even like the word chevy lol, this aint my first rodeo i know these arent that cheap to build. but at least it doesnt have a bowtie on it.

a-bomb, thats the most badass intake ive ever seen for a smallblock. end of story.

right now im just trying to get a plan together before i end up with a bunch of parts i dont really need. thanks again everyone

I think you can have your engine built for under $4000 with carefull shopping.Your not going to the extra expense of a stroker bottom end,so that will help!

Scat pack.heres my most recent build:'78 360 block 30 over/decked
stock crank cut 0.10/0.10
eagle sir rods
speedpro pistons/rings 10.7 to 1 comp.
Edelbrock 65c.c. heads
comp.magnum roller rockers
Lunati .513/.533 voodoo cam
Edelbrock air gap gasket matched
Quickfuel 850 carb.....this combo ran a best 11.79 in my '70 duster,with consistent 11.80-11.82's..N/A.no spray needed:-D:-D

now thats what im talking about! i guess i wouldnt mind doing pistons either. and the 4k was what i had in mind for "within budget". i know this stuff can add up quick though if im not careful.

Scat pack.heres my most recent build:'78 360 block 30 over/decked
stock crank cut 0.10/0.10
eagle sir rods
speedpro pistons/rings 10.7 to 1 comp.
Edelbrock 65c.c. heads
comp.magnum roller rockers
Lunati .513/.533 voodoo cam
Edelbrock air gap gasket matched
Quickfuel 850 carb.....this combo ran a best 11.79 in my '70 duster,with consistent 11.80-11.82's..N/A.no spray needed:-D:-D

wth!! haha i hope i run as fast or faster than you.. dont forget to post gears and stall to help explain why so fast..

i have more compression..RHS magnum heads that flow better than eddys and way more lift at .570/.570 so im hoping i go just as fast or faster than you

wth!! haha i hope i run as fast or faster than you.. dont forget to post gears and stall to help explain why so fast..

i have more compression..RHS magnum heads that flow better than eddys and way more lift at .570/.570 so im hoping i go just as fast or faster than you

Really,what are the flow numbers for your heads???...

-
Back