Your thoughts on the 5.7 hemi tick

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I am or maybe I should say “was” the proud owner of a 2011 ram 1500 truck with a 5.7 hemi.
I’m so disappointed in the 5.7 that I feel maybe I should buy, and I hate to even think this but maybe a Ford!
I’ve been bitten by what I am being told is the hemi tick. (And my motor is not making any tick at all) I had never heard of this until I had my CEL came on 3 weeks ago. Code was for cyl 5 misfire. Bought a coil pack and plugs and replaced them that night. Next day light on again. Cleared it and again next day back on. Bad coil pack? Switched #5 with #1. Next day cyl 5 misfire. Got on the web, googled 5.7 cyl misfire and found there is a major issue with the hemi.
Finally pulled valve cover off yesterday only to find rocker arm not moving much on #5 cyl.
Sick to my stomach.
How can this be happening. Only 60k miles. Driven softly since I bought it a 30k miles.
Looks like I’m buying a cam and lifters or am I? Seems as tho there’s a supply issue with lifters.
Ok, so now the part that I really need help with. Help me understand the 5.7 engine.
I know this is a early “A” group/forum but I’m hoping someone here can explain a few things. Mainly the timing procedures. The phaser. The reflashing if it’s not a stock cam. What keeps this from happening on the new parts I end up buying? I was using Mobile 1 5-20 but so many are saying it’s not good enough oil lubrication that I should be using redline or royal purple. By the way I only used the mobile because that’s what the original owner had always used. I’m thinking once this is all fixed going to brad Penn 5-30 because it has zinc.
Sorry for the negative post but the mopar people have really let me down with this cam/lifter design. Plus I don’t understand these modern engines and computers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Rod

I'm a Mopar guy but I'm a Ford guy too. Having said that, I'd get a new Chevy.

There is a YouTube guy that got rid of the tick. IIRC, it was a 6.4 oil pump he used since it’s a high volume pump. Do a YT search with “HEMI oil tick”

Continue with the 5-20 oil.

I am or maybe I should say “was” the proud owner of a 2011 ram 1500 truck with a 5.7 hemi.
I’m so disappointed in the 5.7 that I feel maybe I should buy, and I hate to even think this but maybe a Ford!
I’ve been bitten by what I am being told is the hemi tick. (And my motor is not making any tick at all) I had never heard of this until I had my CEL came on 3 weeks ago. Code was for cyl 5 misfire. Bought a coil pack and plugs and replaced them that night. Next day light on again. Cleared it and again next day back on. Bad coil pack? Switched #5 with #1. Next day cyl 5 misfire. Got on the web, googled 5.7 cyl misfire and found there is a major issue with the hemi.
Finally pulled valve cover off yesterday only to find rocker arm not moving much on #5 cyl.
Sick to my stomach.
How can this be happening. Only 60k miles. Driven softly since I bought it a 30k miles.
Looks like I’m buying a cam and lifters or am I? Seems as tho there’s a supply issue with lifters.
Ok, so now the part that I really need help with. Help me understand the 5.7 engine.
I know this is a early “A” group/forum but I’m hoping someone here can explain a few things. Mainly the timing procedures. The phaser. The reflashing if it’s not a stock cam. What keeps this from happening on the new parts I end up buying? I was using Mobile 1 5-20 but so many are saying it’s not good enough oil lubrication that I should be using redline or royal purple. By the way I only used the mobile because that’s what the original owner had always used. I’m thinking once this is all fixed going to brad Penn 5-30 because it has zinc.
Sorry for the negative post but the mopar people have really let me down with this cam/lifter design. Plus I don’t understand these modern engines and computers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Rod
I just read a pretty lengthy post on this about 3 weeks ago and my consensus was to just get one with a Cummings! TORQUE BABY! Anyway there was a lot of posts on it supposedly it's less than 1% of the millions of the 5.7's that have that happen I don't really know I wasn't going to argue with, or even question people, that know much more than me. And some of them were Chrysler service Techs, or still are. I'll also be honest after what I seen I don't even know if I'd want to take one of those damn things apart I'd have to get a bunch of shelves, and a bunch of stuff to label everything. In probably a laptop and a book and a bunch of stuff the thing is I've been looking for one of them trucks for years now I just can't find one I can have $7,000 in cash I can't find one almost 20 years old. I can tell you the reason why but I'm not going to get into it right here

RRR you kill me. Lmao
You mean that old Georgia Flatlands Hillbilliy just messing with us? I can take that! I didn't want to think he was a damn traitor, lol. Crazy thing is, if I had to drive my duster up to my Italian buddy, and get a loan to cruise up there and help him and his Wife, I'd do it in a heartbeat..

Every engine has a failure rate. Some are higher than others.
The 5.7 is not a bad engine. The failures you hear of drown out the millions of satisfied owners that don't get on the internet to praise their engine.
I am one of the millions that have had great service from this engine. I am closing in on 395,000 on a 2007 Ram 1500. It is starting to show some signs of being near the end but it has been great. Mine still idles great, makes decent power but has always used a bit of oil. I started it yesterday afternoon and had steam coming from the exhaust in 70 degree weather. That means an internal leak, maybe a head gasket. I'm destined to put another engine in this truck since I still like it.

Ram Jam 1.JPG

and my consensus was to just get one with a Cummings! TORQUE BABY!

have you priced a new cummins lately? an absolute stripper 2500 with the *small* cummins is 55K

(i've been truck shopping the last several weeks)

Every engine has a failure rate. Some are higher than others.
The 5.7 is not a bad engine. The failures you hear of drown out the millions of satisfied owners that don't get on the internet to praise their engine.
I am one of the millions that have had great service from this engine. I am closing in on 395,000 on a 2007 Ram 1500. It is starting to show some signs of being near the end but it has been great. Mine still idles great, makes decent power but has always used a bit of oil. I started it yesterday afternoon and had steam coming from the exhaust in 70 degree weather. That means an internal leak, maybe a head gasket. I'm destined to put another engine in this truck since I still like it.

i agree, it's the same with everything be it motorcycles, blenders or even a couch. you're more likely to hear from the dissatisfied than any other segment of owners.

i bought an 04 1500 quad cab SLT w/ a 5.7 off the lot in early 05, brand spankin' new with 16 miles on it. i put another 220,000 on it until i sold it just a few years ago, and besides it absolutely loving to go thru brakes, the only thing out of the norm was an EGR valve one time.

at the end it developed a tick, the cam was fine and it wasn't throwing codes. i dropped the pan and it was clean, so i did a new pick up and gasket. drove it another two years and sold it on to a guy that's still cruising it around my hood about 4 years later now. still ticking.

have you priced a new cummins lately? an absolute stripper 2500 with the *small* cummins is 55K

It’s absolutely insane. I decided to find a nice old 1st gen 12valve. No ECU, no BCM, No DEF, no emissions at all. Just need one with no rust lol.

It’s absolutely insane. I decided to find a nice old 1st gen 12valve. No ECU, no BCM, No DEF, no emissions at all. Just need one with no rust lol.
truck shopping is like the 9th circle of hell. add to the fact that my situation calls for some very specific needs that are non-negotiable: 8ft bed, 2500 minimum for payload and single wheel only.

two & three year old trucks with 40~50K on them are mid 40's and have hammered interior; not even worth looking at 4, 5 & 6 year old trucks, people want damn near sticker; 7~10 year old trucks are either beat to hell with a bajillion miles and are 20K or they're cream puffs with sub 100K and are 30 large-- or more!

it's just nuts.

**** id buy a damn tundra before anything from those three as long as all i needed was a half ton.
Yup. They're mostly made here now by Americans anyway. I'm just not crazy about their styling.

truck shopping is like the 9th circle of hell. add to the fact that my situation calls for some very specific needs that are non-negotiable: 8ft bed, 2500 minimum for payload and single wheel only.

two & three year old trucks with 40~50K on them are mid 40's and have hammered interior; not even worth looking at 4, 5 & 6 year old trucks, people want damn near sticker; 7~10 year old trucks are either beat to hell with a bajillion miles and are 20K or they're cream puffs with sub 100K and are 30 large-- or more!

it's just nuts.
Then buy something vintage restored. You'll get a better truck and give a truck a good home.

That price is buy a house territory.

Man, I had 7k 5 months ago, and 5 Christmas before last. This is BS. But I see ads that say " New to the Country, don't speak English? We will put You in a Truck Today!" I'll copy and paste links if I'm doubted...

Man, I had 7k 5 months ago, and 5 Christmas before last. This is BS. But I see ads that say " New to the Country, don't speak English? We will put You in a Truck Today!" I'll copy and paste links if I'm doubted...
How would they ever know?
Would make a lot more sense if that billboard was in farci

How would they ever know?
Would make a lot more sense if that billboard was in farci
FARSI... LOL GRAMMER Attack! I don't know but it's repetitive ad that I've seen circulating and several different places around town and several different forms

It's a different market out there now. We recently picked up a '18 Tradesman. 4WD Crew Cab Cummins Dually. 92K on the clock.
We got her for a little under $40K. She's not exactly what we were looking for, but we couldn't find an older 2WD Laramie. We pulled the trigger because we wanted to buy now, and she was the best deal that we found. There just wasn't much to choose from that had what we wanted, that we could afford. And BTW, I don't care how they're badged, or what the title says, they will always be a Dodge truck.

The hemi tick and the fact that they are also experiencing cam and lifter failures are not necessarily related. I've been lucky and just passed 205k on my 2010 5.7 Ram. I figure that if it ever happens to me I'm going to bite the bullet and pay the 4k to have new cam and lifters put in. If you're feeling brave and want to remove the front end radiator, you can do the work yourself for a little under 2k. I have had a diablo tuner on mine and deactivated MDS from new. It's actually the lifter that fails first then starts to grind out the cam.

Rarichard, what is the Diablo tuner, how does it work? Did the disabling of the mds change fuel mileage?
Thanks Rod

There is a Dodge tech either on here or FBBO that says he can't count how many whipped out 5.7 roller cams that he has replaced.

-
Back