´68 BB 4-speed Q

-

SSing

Reaction score
Was it an option to get a bench seat in a´68 383 4-speed Dart or Barracuda?
Thanks for taking the time...

The bench seat was actually standard in Dart GTS, bucket seats were an extra cost option.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1968/68_Dart0003.jpg

Yes, question was a bit backwards... but this figures. I'm trying to figure out how the ´68 SS Hemi cars were put together. I have noted floor did not have the usual square piece of sheet metal reinforcement at the two inner holes production cars had that came with bucket seats. So body in primer that was shipped to Hurst, was a "bench-seat-body" although cars was going to have bucket seats… Check!
Thank you.

[QUOTE="SSing, post: 1972293112, member:] I have noted floor did not have the usual square piece of sheet metal reinforcement at the two inner holes production cars had that came with bucket seats. So body in primer that was shipped to Hurst, was a "bench-seat-body" although cars was going to have bucket seats… Check!
Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the bucket seats were not standard production seats as I'm sure you know. They were light weight van seats with c-shaped bent aluminum plates for mounts. Bob T. specced out a car that saved weight wherever he could. Kramer Automotive probably knows a lot about these cars. Do you have a copy of the book that documents the 68 Hemi A-bodies?

I'm wondering though, how many people in Sweden would even know one way or the other on a 50 year old car?

My 1969 4 speed 'cuda340 has a bench seat but I never looked to see if it had provisions for bucket seat mounting. I'm pretty sure there are NO extra unfilled holes in the floor.

[QUOTE="SSing, post: 1972293112, member:] I have noted floor did not have the usual square piece of sheet metal reinforcement at the two inner holes production cars had that came with bucket seats. So body in primer that was shipped to Hurst, was a "bench-seat-body" although cars was going to have bucket seats… Check!
Thank you.

Yeah, but the bucket seats were not standard production seats as I'm sure you know. They were light weight van seats with c-shaped bent aluminum plates for mounts. Bob T. specced out a car that saved weight wherever he could. Kramer Automotive probably knows a lot about these cars. Do you have a copy of the book that documents the 68 Hemi A-bodies?

I'm wondering though, how many people in Sweden would even know one way or the other on a 50 year old car?

My 1969 4 speed 'cuda340 has a bench seat but I never looked to see if it had provisions for bucket seat mounting. I'm pretty sure there are NO extra unfilled holes in the floor.[/QUOTE]

Yes, well I have a pretty good grip about this... and Sweden and what they would think... well I do this because I am interested and for the pure pleasure of owning one very authentic day one racer, nothing else…
You know what, after being at the Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle this summer, I´m beginning to think the number who know anything or have any interest or pay any attention in these cars are about the same in the States. The number of people who went to see the very few cars that was on display (50 years anniversary!!!!) was a few hundred. Not five hundred, maybe not even four I´m sure over the two days, of all say 50-60.000 people who attended the fairgrounds. To say we, my son and I were disappointed, is an understatement to say the least.
As for the floor pan, they are all alike. Cars (production) that were gonna have bucket seats get the extra reinforcement and hole for bench seat (not the same hole) gets a body plug and vise a versa.
There are a lot more to say about this, and if you are interested you can read more in my build thread "SS/B Barracuda Project"
Thanks for you input. 4-speed bench seat is a cool combo if you ask me...

-
Back