‘65 a-904 trans rear output seal

-

Reefer209

Reaction score
I have my ‘65 barracuda in the shop having its 904 rebuilt. The shop is telling me that it has a “one year only “ rear output shaft seal. Has anyone heard of this? If so does anyone know the part# for it?

I would advise measuring old seal and double checking the below information to make sure your application is similar. I have read where '64 and '65 seals are different.

This may give you a lead: '65 seal is Chrysler part № 2464 482. Long obsolete, but crosses to a National № 470045, which walks off RockAuto's shelves.

Online Store | Fatsco Transmission Parts | United States

1965 TORQUEFLITE 6 TRANSMISSION REAR SEAL 904 | eBay

1965 904 TF6 Transmission Rear Seal A904 | eBay

More Information for NATIONAL 470045

More Information for SKF 14858

Last edited:
I believe I recently read somewhere that the torque spec for that nut at the end of the extension housing on a '65 904 was 165 Ft-Lbs which seemed awful tight to me. I wonder if that is correct?

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas. Just wanted to thank you guys for your response to my post. I took the information to the shop and they ordered the seal. Can’t wait to see what the car drives like with a fresh trans that doesn’t slip when it shifts into 3rd. Have a safe and happy new year!

-
Back