“LA” Engine Replacement Cylinder Head

-

69charger

Reaction score
http://www.mopar.com/m_perf_subcatCheck.jsp?SubSubGrpID=50963&dummy3=1207187428917
heres the link to the heads from Mopar Performance.
I just wanted to ask ya'lls opinion if it would be worth it to slap these on my 318, I was going to try and get some 302fastburns from a junk yard and get em reworked with 2.02 valves but, im not so sure if I wanna go that route anymore or just bite the bullet and go for the "LA Replacements"

any thoughts?

i have a pair of 302s for sale 100plus shipping though

Link does't work. But anyway if they are open chamber heads intended for a 340/360 you will loose a lot of compression and kill off the low end you have now. I wouldn't unless you plan to up the compressionof the engine at the same time.

Magnum heads would be a much better choice than even 302 heads. Note: adding 2.02 intake vales to a 302 head would only net you a gain if you did some porting to take advantage of the bigger valve.

Stay with the 1.88, the 2.02 will kill the 318. What cam, carb, and compression?

See I keep getting mixed opinions about the Intake ports,
some guys say 1.88 and others say to open it up to 2.02.
I'm leaning more towards the 2.02's because I plan on doing a valve job and all that machine work jazz but still im not sure...
anyways though I havent started the engine build really but I was gonna base it off the build I think it was Hot Rod, did awhile back http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0304_318_small_block_build/dyno.html
but i'll discuss the details a little later im kind of pressed for time right now.

Those 302 heads shown are a basicly fully ported. Maybe not a hog wild job, but it is a full porting. The 2.02's IMO show best power on a dyno and I'm not to sure it would be the "Choice" street effort gear.
Cam is light. Great streetablity.

Magnum heads would be a much better choice than even 302 heads. Note: adding 2.02 intake vales to a 302 head would only net you a gain if you did some porting to take advantage of the bigger valve.

See theres another factor is the Magnum heads, I was looking into them but i'm using a 69 LA block, and the "LA Replacement" heads I was referring to are basically Magnum heads with the LA bolt layout (or at least thats what i THINK they are) and plus i'd need to get some kit for it to bolt on to my engine I think it comes with new rockers and bolts for the heads and all that jazz but thats another 70 bucks(if i remember correctly) for the kit....so i dunno guys im sort of in a predicament here...keep those ideas/opinion's commin' I need all the info I can get.

what rear gear do you have>?
what cam, and what intake and carb.

I am using "302 heads, stock valves. :)

See theres another factor is the Magnum heads, I was looking into them but i'm using a 69 LA block, and the "LA Replacement" heads I was referring to are basically Magnum heads with the LA bolt layout (or at least thats what i THINK they are) and plus i'd need to get some kit for it to bolt on to my engine I think it comes with new rockers and bolts for the heads and all that jazz but thats another 70 bucks(if i remember correctly) for the kit....so i dunno guys im sort of in a predicament here...keep those ideas/opinion's commin' I need all the info I can get.

You have the correct idea of the head. You'll need Magnum head bolts from what I understand. That is worth a look into about. And then yes, rockers. What are we doing about that?

Sometimes ya gotta want something over the concern on price or hassle it may have.

You have the correct idea of the head. You'll need Magnum head bolts from what I understand. That is worth a look into about. And then yes, rockers. What are we doing about that?

Sometimes ya gotta want something over the concern on price or hassle it may have.

yeah i guess youre right man, maybe i should just bite the bullet

-
Back