'05 Grand Cherokee - possible head gasket problem

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Went to check the oil today in the grand Cherokee, and when I pulled the filler cap off I found this smooth creamy peanut butter colored gunk on the bottom of the cap, and on the inside of the fill spout.

Does this mean I'm getting antifreeze in my oil? Or got any ideas?

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

I bought a ‘00 Durango with a 4.7L that had that all in the oil filler cap. I cleaned it out and changed all fluids in it and never saw it again. Not sure what caused it but never really saw it again. Owned the Durango for about 5 years and never had a problem out of it.

More than likely that’s just condensation from slow, short drives with the motor not warming up to temperature. They need to run about 20 minutes after it is fully warmed up to start burning off the condensation. Kim

Wipe that out, and take it for a long drive. About an hour should be good. Does the oil look like that also.

Wipe that out, and take it for a long drive. About an hour should be good. Does the oil look like that also.

No the oil on the dipstick looks fine, and took a good look at the antifreeze too and it's super clean

I'll probably go ahead and do an oil change next weekend. Since it's last change we did a 2600 mile road trip, with camper in tow, so I'm sure its due.

-
Back