05 Hemi problems

-

Chinadoll

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Lynn, I am a part-time single mom of 2 little ones (part-time meaning my husband works on the road 3 weeks out of 4 every month) and I am glad to be a member of this site. I have been reading it since I got my 300c 5.7L. just to learn somethings about it(lil tricks and proformance advice) I am not a machanic, but I did grow up with a dad and 2 brothers that were, so of course I was right out there with them in the driveway dropping a transmission or pulling a motor. So I did learn a little along the way, but that was also 25 years ago and cars now aint what they used to be. I am pretty good with technical stuff but not so good with diagnostics. So now I need some help with my 300. Thanks for everyones help that I have already gotten, just from reading previous forums.

So here is my problem----

My 05 Chrysler 300c 5.7L Hemi was running fine, drove it for about 40 minutes at speeds 60 - 70 mph and shut it off at the store. 5 minutes later went to start it, it started like normal but immediately died and wouldnt start after that. About an hour later hubby got it started(thank god it did it the week he was home) he had to hold the petal to the floor to get it to start, and if it got below 2500 rpms it dies. He got the EGR code and oil change code. When he did get it started it Rattled, shaked and had a clancking sound and like I said it would only stay running if you had your foot is on the gas and rpms stayed above 2500. All of the gages showed fine, no running hot, no low water levels, Oil level was on the mark, checked fuses to make sure none were loose and battery cables are newley replaced, and battery is fine. He pulled the spark plugs off and the #7 plugs were black. I dont have a crap pile of money to put this in a shop for a machanic to see that I am a woman and think he just won the lottery. So I was hoping That I could find some advice here. What do you think?

What EGR code? Was it for a circuit malfunction? P0406 or P0404? Sometimes you can give the EGR unit/sensor a light whack or two and straighten them out temporarily.

Does the engine run rough when the revs are at 2500 and lower, or does it just cut out completely?

No to be a downer and i hope this is not the case, but I have heard of people having engines failures due to bent rods and other failed interval components. If you hear clanking you may not need to start and rev the engine until you can identify the problem and get it repaired.

No to be a downer and i hope this is not the case, but I have heard of people having engines failures due to bent rods and other failed interval components. If you hear clanking you may not need to start and rev the engine until you can identify the problem and get it repaired.

I have been reading others post and I have seen the same thing.. I am hoping this is not the problem, but ..I dont want to go big and start tearing the whole thing down if it is just a loose bolt - sort to speak - so I was hoping to eleminate the little things before going big. And we havent started it since the first time ( in the description) I didnt want to cause anymore damage, in the case it was something internal.

What EGR code? Was it for a circuit malfunction? P0406 or P0404? Sometimes you can give the EGR unit/sensor a light whack or two and straighten them out temporarily.

Does the engine run rough when the revs are at 2500 and lower, or does it just cut out completely?

The only way to get it to start is to hold the petal to the floor, when it starts it runs rough while running and it has a taping sound at the top of the motor, we pulled the plugs and number 6 was black, if you let off the gas when the revs drop down around 2500 it cuts out completely.

I havent started it since the but once since it did this and that was when it first happend, for fear of not wanting to do more damage if it is something more internaly

Not sure what the numerics were, ironically it happened in the parking lot of advanced auto, so I just wrote it down and took it in there so they could look it up and they said that the codes were for oil change (which was what I was there for- to buy the oil) and the other was for an EGR sinsor code they said. I will see if I can find the paper I wrote it on though. And you have to hold the gas to the floor to get it started, it runs rough the whole time it is running no matter what RPMs your at, if you hold the RPM's above 2500 it will stay running, but when you let off the gas it drops quickly and when it gets around 2500 it cuts out completely.

-
Back