05 Jeep 5.7 complete setup

-

stockrt

Reaction score
I mentioned to a friend I work with I was almost 100% going to pick up a 74 duster, and had plans to eventually put in a new style HEMI. Long story short, he got a totaled Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 a few years back that only has 19k miles. He tossed up a price for the engine, transmission, complete wiring harness, $2500 but then came down to $1500. However, he did mention that the tail housing could be replaced to make it work in a 4x2 application. He knows this because he has the transfer case from his Rubicon bolted to the 55fre(?) {I don't know the transmission number off the top of my head}. The reason he quit working on his project of putting it into a CJ7 was the wring, he didn't want to spend $2500 on a wiring harness to make it work.

I have read a little bit about the different types of swaps that can be done to make it work, but the main question I have is what exactly would I need to make every thing work proper for my application? I don't want to go big cam or anything like that, just a fun little weekend beater with decent MPG.

I'm ready to start this project, but unsure of any obstetrical that will pop up.

I'm doing about the same thing, as I'm putting a 5.7 Hemi from a Wagnum R/T into a 70 Duster. The transmission you probably got is a 545RFE, and you can indeed swap the tailshaft housing to make it a 2WD transmission. I'm using the same transmission, but bought it out of a smushed 2007 2WD Durango. You have to hack the daylights out of the floor pan and crossmember to get it to fit, but it's not that big of a deal. Hopefully, you got the computer with the motor. You can buy a wiring harness from Hotwire auto to make it run, and I think it's about $900. I just bought headers and motor mounts from TTI, and they were a thousand bucks. I bought a Milodon pan,pickup tube and windage tray...and that was $400. The cost adds up quickly, but I bought a 6K mile motor for about nothing...so I won't complain. Read around the new Hemi forum here, and you can learn a lot. Good luck.

I hate reading about paying $900 for a transmission wiring harness. To me, they just rip us off.

He does have every computer and module that cam out of the jeep and would be included into the sell. So it sounds like I would end up spending roughly another $2k on top of the initial purchase.

He does have every computer and module that cam out of the jeep and would be included into the sell. So it sounds like I would end up spending roughly another $2k on top of the initial purchase.

if you don't want it,let me know!!

I hate reading about paying $900 for a transmission wiring harness. To me, they just rip us off.

That price is for an entire plug and play harness for the engine and transmission, and I may be wrong....but I think it includes reflashing your computer. The dude I bought my Hemi from has built several street rods with 5.7 Hemis, and he says you plug in all the connectors on the harness, hook up a hot wire and a ground, and then literally turn the key and VAROOM! Even though $900 sounds like a lot for a wad of wires, it will be worth it to me. The more aggravation I have when building a car, the less I like it when it's done. I forgot....you really need to buy a fully baffled gas tank too, and that's a chunk of change also !

The funny thing is, the duster im getting has a painless wiring harness in it atm. Something with a voltage regulator(?) went bad and fried a good bit of it.

I havent heard from my friend with the duster in a few days, I really hope he still wants to sell it. The 5.7 would be amazing to drive around with in an A body, even if it was bone stock!

Assuming the motor and trans are in good shape $1500.00 is an excellent deal.

This swap isn't cheap, but it can be done cheaply, and when one considers that a set of headers and a cam has these motors putting out 450HP+, it becomes a nice package. Sure you can get 450 HP out of an LA or Magnum motor, but you'd have 5K into it.

The question becomes how much do you want to do yourself. If the motor comes with a complete harness, you can sit down with a factory service manual and simply cut away the stuff you're not using. Slow? Yes. Time consuming? Definitely. Worth the effort? Maybe.

The same is true for a fuel system. You can spend $800.00 on an intank custom fuel tank, plus an external fuel regulator. Or you can use an external Walbro pump for $110.00 and a fuel filter/regulator from a Corvette for $68.00.

The key to making this swap affordable is the amount of homework you do before you start buying parts.

Ask lot of questions. Keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

This swap isn't cheap, but it can be done cheaply, and when one considers that a set of headers and a cam has these motors putting out 450HP+, it becomes a nice package. Sure you can get 450 HP out of an LA or Magnum motor, but you'd have 5K into it.

I have built up a LA 318 before for around $2200 and was making some damn good power, but it was also turned into a 390 stroker and went in my 87 4x2 ramcharger :cheers:

Buddy of mine built up his magnum 318 in his 99 CD dakota around the same time as me. It just went with a bigger nitrous cam and I built mine for more torque. After all the ramcharger is was a pig at 4400lb with me in it.

I love the idea of putting in the F.I. HEMI, but also worried about the hidden costs of doing the swap also. It would be a lot simpler to put in a 318, or freshen up the /6 that it already has.

The BIG concern is how long my wife will put up with this project and me spending money on a car she wouldnt drive :eek:ops::D
I will start off with the very 1st step, buying the car :glasses7:, then focus on step 2, step 3, etc...

Any questing that I have, I will diffidently ask on this forums!

The LA motor is an excellent motor, and they can make great power, I'm not trying to knock it, I had a 340 Duster and it was the coolest car I've ever owned. I'm hoping my 6.1L Hemi Dart will live up to my inner car fantasies, and be a worthy successor to my long lost Duster.

So you're idea about finding the hidden costs is KEY to figuring out if you want to do this swap or not.

You've got to root out those hidden costs before you start buying parts.

Sounds to me like you've got a pretty good handle on the situation, all you need to do is sharpen your pencil.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

-
Back