09 Caliber help

-

Backally

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Daughter has. 09 Dodge Caliber, keeps throwing a P456 code, small evap leak. I have replaced the vapor canister purge valve and the vapor leak detection pump. Those were relatively cheap to do. From what I can see the hoses all look good, but the code came back. Is my next step the vapor canister or is there something else I can look at without having other diagnostic equipment, I did clear all codes, the check engine light stayed off for 2 days. She did have a gas cap warning but replaced it with a cheap one, the gas cap light has not returned
Thx

Last edited:
You might want to take it & have someone run a smoke test on the evaporative system. One of the lines probably has a small pin hole or crack in it that cannot be seen.

Pressure test the gas cap. Or just replace it. Many times have i seen this working at an autoparts store and thats usually a big part of it.
Edit:sorry guess i didnt even comprehend the gas cap part when i read it. Did you replace with a dealer part or cheap autostore part.

Pressure test the gas cap. Or just replace it. Many times have i seen this working at an autoparts store and thats usually a big part of it.
Edit:sorry guess i didnt even comprehend the gas cap part when i read it. Did you replace with a dealer part or cheap autostore part.
Would a junk yard be be ok or would you go new?

Replace it with a quality cap, not a cheap one or from a junk yard. are you using a scanner to clear the codes? Those codes are stored in the ECMs computer memory & need to be cleared properly. Do not just disconnect the battery because until you have fixed it correctly & cleared the codes they will continue to pop up.

Ok, will get a better cap on. Yes, using a scanner to clear codes. If that doesn’t do it will get the smoke test done and go from there.

Thx guys

-
Back