1.5 or 1.6 rockers on magnum heads

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I am getting ready to swap my magnum heads to the adjustable chevy rockers with the crane conversion kit. I noticed I can get 1.5 or 1.6 rockers. Is there any problem running the 1.5 verses the 1.6? I want to go with the 1.5 because I am also swapping my cam and most cams that I like will be well over .500 lift with the 1.6 rockers.

Magnum heads came stock with 1.6's but 1.5's should work. I would mock up the heads/valvetrain on the block before bolting them down and make sure the pushrods have enough clearance with the 1.5's.

Nothing wrong with a lot of lift other than valve guide/retainer clearance and spring bind issues. Of course if your heads won't flow past .500 lift it's a waste of motion but it won't hurt anything or reduce driveability.

Dartman if I remember right your running the Magnum EQ heads aren't you? If so they flow good all the way through 550 lift so unless it's a clearance issue the 1.6's will help. If the cam you like is already .550 lift or higher there might be a problem with clearance. After looking over the small block geometry I see the 1.6's rockers straighten it out slightly so there's a little more benefit to them than just the added lift. Not a huge amount but some. Just something to think about.

-
Back