#1 location on a 383, please help me

-

danbud61

Reaction score
Hi!

My son puled all of the ignition wires on my 383, now I dont know what position is the # 1 on the cap?

Dan:clock:

#1 plug is the 1st terminal to the left of the dist cap fastener by the vacuum advance, David.

Hey Demon Sizzler,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

So if I understand you correctly,
The #1 is at the back of the vacum canister (towards the rear of the engine)

Dan

There are two dist cap straps on an oem distributor. Simply look at the one beside(closest)to the vacuum advance on the distributor. # 1 plug wire terminal is the first one to the left of this cap strap. The correct way to install the plug wires on the cap is working counter clock-wise from #1:
1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2. The passenger cylinder bank is 2,4,6,8, from front of the engine to the back and 1,3,5,7 from front to back on the driver side, David.

Thanks for the enlightenment!

Now it's clear,

Yours
Dan

You can also pull your #1 plug (front drivers side) and put your finger over the hole. Crank the engine over slowly. When the compression stroke comes around it will blow your finger out of the hole. When it does, stop cranking the engine and bring the mark on your harmonic balance up to "0" on your timing mark. Now remove your distributor cap, #1 on the cap should correspond to the same position as the rotor.

62417052.gif

Dan you can't assume that the guy before ya set this engine up the proper way as far as having No.1 at 10 oclock on the distributor. By pulling the oil pump drive shaft which has the cam to dissy gear on it you can change the location of No.1 by just remeshing the gear a couple teeth one way or the other.

Take Longgones advise and first put No.1 at TDC at the end of it compression stroke and go from there.

Terry

ive also noticed one alot of dist caps that if you turn them over they mark the #1 wire. may help ya may not.

Dan you can't assume that the guy before ya set this engine up the proper way as far as having No.1 at 10 oclock on the distributor. By pulling the oil pump drive shaft which has the cam to dissy gear on it you can change the location of No.1 by just remeshing the gear a couple teeth one way or the other.

Take Longgones advise and first put No.1 at TDC at the end of it compression stroke and go from there.

Terry

Ya,, terry I might need ya to have a look atmine before I start it (which is very soon ) I have 1 cyl at tdc and the rotor is pointing at the #6 wire in the pic above

Ya,, terry I might need ya to have a look atmine before I start it (which is very soon ) I have 1 cyl at tdc and the rotor is pointing at the #6 wire in the pic above

Turn the motor one more revolution and see where the distributor is then.

Terry

i agree.

it really doesn't matter where on the cap it is. put #1 cyl. at tdc on the compression stroke and put #1 plug wire where the rotor is pointing and go from there. if it really bothers you, you can always pull the dist gear and set it up to put #1 wire in the proper location

My dad made this saying about chrysler V8 small and big block dist cap wireing. To reduce wiring confuseion. “the small block has the dist in the wrong place, in the back of the engine. BUT the shaft rotates the right way clockwise. The big block has the dist in the right place, in the front of the engine BUT the shaft rotates the wrong direction counterclockwise. Both wire #5 and #7 on both ALL ways have #5 before #7 on the cap AND block. And most / some stock V8s have the fireing order cast in to the intake manifold. AND: DO plug the vent with JB-weld. Keeps the moursture out.

My dad made this saying about chrysler V8 small and big block dist cap wireing. To reduce wiring confuseion. “the small block has the dist in the wrong place, in the back of the engine. BUT the shaft rotates the right way clockwise. The big block has the dist in the right place, in the front of the engine BUT the shaft rotates the wrong direction counterclockwise. Both wire #5 and #7 on both ALL ways have #5 before #7 on the cap AND block. And most / some stock V8s have the fireing order cast in to the intake manifold. AND: DO plug the vent with JB-weld. Keeps the moursture out.

jeeze , what a bunch of garble , you do realize this thread is 6 years old

-
Back