1" master cylinder rebuild kit alternative

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just had a thought...

Mustang 1" disk drum master cylinders are plentiful.

Has anyone tried swapping the guts from a mustang master into a Chrysler master?

If they are both made by Bendix there is a pretty good chance the internal are the same?

I haven't tried that exact swap but I have done a few others... What I found was the lengths of the pistons & the machined details didn't match up... But the seals a matched... So I transferred seals from the new pistons to the old pistons... Easy & worked fine...

The one I currently have on car works great, factory front disc with equal sized res. mc. I was contemplating putting on the "correct" one, but honestly this one works perfect(other than lid leak)

20240106_223436.jpg

If you pull the guts out it will help narrow down what may work by matching up what it looks like
My thoughts about the mustang master.

Might be able to reuse the hard guts from the Mopar and the seals from the mustang mc

Going through the same problem trying to tear down a 1” MC only I cannot get the front piston out of the bore. There is no locking screw as used on other MC. I can move it against the front spring and push/pull with a long needle nose plier.
But it won’t pop out. Something is holding it in. Ready to try air pressure. Any ideas ??

IMG_5525.jpeg

IMG_5527.jpeg

IMG_5529.jpeg

IMG_5532.jpeg

Have a bead blaster? Bead blast in the hole to clean up the bore the hammer and punch to bounce the lower spring to get it to free up. It should bounce higher and higher then a shot of air or needle nose will pop it right out.

If you can find a tap the right size you might be able to cut some threads in the hole of the piston and pull it out that way.

Like pressing out lower control arm bushings but in reverse

I had a drum drum MC. That was solid with dried fluid.

I tried soaking it, you name it.

I finally carefully drilled out the front piston and got all the crap out, but the rear piston was too far in for my tools so I said hell with it.

I ended up cutting the mounting flange off and use it to do environmental testing on the bellows retainer gasket that I make.

You win some you loose some

Last edited:
-
Back