1 more dumb question - bad kickdown adjustment cause no reverse?

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
so my buddy just mentioned that since we have the kick down setup but not properly, it may be "actuating" - so he suggested that i undo the kickdown band and see what happens. we just rigged it up to keep everything together but neither of us really knows how to adjust it properly.

i am HOPING that that is all the issue is lol!

can incorrect kickdown adj cause major problems like this? his thought is that the kickdown is pulling the trans into drive and not letting it sit in reverse?

so my buddy just mentioned that since we have the kick down setup but not properly, it may be "actuating" - so he suggested that i undo the kickdown band and see what happens. we just rigged it up to keep everything together but neither of us really knows how to adjust it properly.

i am HOPING that that is all the issue is lol!

can incorrect kickdown adj cause major problems like this? his thought is that the kickdown is pulling the trans into drive and not letting it sit in reverse?

the low reverse band is either broken or the linkage (inside) has broken or fallen apart ...take the trans pan off sometimes you can remove and replace the band without dissasembly of the trans good luck . you should maybe have someone more experienced help you or advise (btw kickdown adj will never effect reverse)
Ian

Sorry but the throttle pressure linkage won't affect reverse. I read your other post about how you jacked it up and put it in reverse manually and it went into reverse. Either the linkage is totally screwed up or there's an internal problem with reverse. There could be an internal problem that makes reverse very weak. It'll spin with the wheels off the ground but not have enough to pull the car. I'm betting that's what it is sorry to say. Drop the pan and check the reverse band adjustment. If it's loose it'll do just what you described.

thanks Fishy
so i tried it again with the linkage setup and the car on stands. went into reverse no problem. but as soon as i put the car in park in order to set the vcar back on the ground, the linkage went out of whack again. so i re-did it but yet it would not go back into reverse.

argh this is frustrating. i dont know enough about these things. all i know id the trans shifted fine before we yanked it from the 76. was stored in a dry garage on dollies until we put it in the 67. never split the trans case from the motor. literally pulled it from 1 car and dropped in the other. i really think the linkage is the issue. i SWEAR that the 67 column linkage went DOWN and then over to the trans gear. dunno why i feel that way but i even marked the rod that came down from the shifter with tape to indicate where it needed to go back to. but now that rod goes ACROSS and i am just wondering if it does not have the right "pull" to activate the gear lever.

i think i am bringing it to a local shop next week.

forgot to say - i know its not a posi rear end but the right wheel was spinning at a pretty good clip with no load on it. i can understand that the trans may not have enough power to move the car but the wheel is spinning frantically - enough to have to homp on the brake pretty good to get it to stop (not in a bad way).

The column hooks to a rod that goes down to a bellcrank which goes over the the trans. then another rod hooks to the bellcrank on the trans. end and goes over to the shift lever on the trans. If the linkage is jumping around on you like you described something must be worn out or loose. If the linkage doesn't engage the trans. correctly that'll sure cause the problem you have.

BTW: how long did it sit before you installed it into your car? If it was very long was it covered up real good to keep dirt and crap out?

-
Back