#1 Song on this day 40 years ago

-

MoparMuscleGuy

Still plays with cars.
Reaction score
:D
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Y_XRiJsCI&feature=related"]Don Mclean American Pie 1972 - YouTube[/ame]

Wow! What memories. I first heard him sing this on the radio in my 1969 Dart while sitting outside a Gibson department store on hwy 190 in Killeen, Tx. I was stationed at Ft. Hood coming back into the USA and getting ready to return to my native Michigan. Thanks. dan

Sometimes its funny how a song will trigger memories. This is one of my favorites. MMG

If you GOOGLE Don Mclean and look at him today you probably won't feel quite so old. dan

Wow.. Somewhere I still have the 45 of this one. Best part, is that half the song is on one side and the balance on side 2.

Funny story. My cousin gave me the 45 in about 78-79, and I listened to it over and over. It had a skip in it (only vinyl guys will understand), and would skip back a bit, and play that part over and over. It went...

I met a girl who sang the blues, and I ... and I... and I... and I... and I... and I... It would usually do it 3 or 4 times before proceeding, or would require a thump of the turntable to get past it.

Since then, everytime I hear the song, it just doesn't sound right, and when I sing it, I always add the and I... skip. Of course, with new people, this always brings up the story lol..

Grant

First song I heard getting out of the service. Much of our radio was censored in Nam.

We used to sing that song
Bye bye Miss American Pie Drove My HEMI To The Levy But The Levy Was Dry.

First song I heard getting out of the service. Much of our radio was censored in Nam.

Zigs,

I served with a couple of guys from your town. I always told them they were lucky to be close to home as we had basic and AIT at Ft Lewis. Of course I can't remember either name. 40+ years ago. dan

Great song, kind of melancholy, especially in retrospect, when you really think...

At the time the radio stations played it to death, where I lived in Florida.

You really have to give Don McLean a lot of credit for his voice and musicianship, that's a long and difficult tune to perform and do it well.

Near the end when he sings 'I met a girls who sang the blues...' is that a bead of sweat running down his cheek or is it a tear?

Thanks MMG.

I wasnt alive 40 years ago, hell I wasn't even alive 30 years ago:burnout:

Zigs,

I served with a couple of guys from your town. I always told them they were lucky to be close to home as we had basic and AIT at Ft Lewis. Of course I can't remember either name. 40+ years ago. dan

Thats funny. One of my good buddy's was from Flint. I rememer his name
Craige Cluctcher. Alot of the Fort Lewis stuff is done in Yakima now because of the desert.

Thats funny. One of my good buddy's was from Flint. I rememer his name
Craige Cluctcher. Alot of the Fort Lewis stuff is done in Yakima now because of the desert.

I remember the one always saying he was from the desert on the other side of the mountains. Loved WA. One of the most beautiful states in America. I actually never minded humping up the hills. I ended up attached to the 1st Cav for the rest of my hitch. The greatest ironry of all was when I bought my '75 Sport 360. It came from the Yakima area and even has a Lewis base bumper sticker on it. dan

Geez! Some of you guys are so old and dried up, you must send up a cloud of dust when you fart! :glasses7:

Great song... :toothy5:

I remember the one always saying he was from the desert on the other side of the mountains. Loved WA. One of the most beautiful states in America. I actually never minded humping up the hills. I ended up attached to the 1st Cav for the rest of my hitch. The greatest ironry of all was when I bought my '75 Sport 360. It came from the Yakima area and even has a Lewis base bumper sticker on it. dan

Your one of the few that actually liked the West side. Its ok to visit but wouldn't want to live there. Too crowed. When did you by your sport ?

Your one of the few that actually liked the West side. Its ok to visit but wouldn't want to live there. Too crowed. When did you by your sport ?

Two years ago but here's the story. Car was built and sold in Detroit and probably driven west by the serviceman. Last tag on the car was 85. Car was transported to MN with someones intention of puttting it on the street but the purchaser died and the car went into dry storage until I bought it off e-bay two years ago.
With 83k on the clock I put in a new battery, fuel ect and it fired right up and I drove it on the trailer for the trip to MI. Highly optioned car. It's my retirement project for two years down the road. I've been buying NOS stuff for the few things it needed. Original B-5 blue I'm changing to X-9 black to match the interior. I love Yakima because there hasn't been a single bolt or nut that wouldn't come off by hand on this completely rust free car. Thanks for asking. dan

-
Back