10” front drums to K/H on a 71 ??

-

EL5DEMON340

Reaction score
My 71 demon 340 came with front drums, buddy of mine has a K/H sbp setup with rebuilt calipers, new rotors the spindles, and upper control arms. . I know I’ll need a manual disc/drum master, new wheel bearings, probably a adjustable proportioning valve. Anything else I’m missing? Is this stuff even worth $500? Or should I get a more modern kit? Thanks

My 71 demon 340 came with front drums, buddy of mine has a K/H sbp setup with rebuilt calipers, new rotors the spindles, and upper control arms. . I know I’ll need a manual disc/drum master, new wheel bearings, probably a adjustable proportioning valve. Anything else I’m missing? Is this stuff even worth $500? Or should I get a more modern kit? Thanks
I assume he has the spindles, too? It's a bolt on swap between the control arms. All you need is everything from the spindles out at the wheels. If it was me, I'd use the factory type proportioning valve and keep it simple. In fact, that's what I've done. I have the master cylinder and proportioning valve already on but have not swapped the disc brakes on yet. Since I'm going to rebuild the front end and replace the torsion bars when I do it, I'm waiting to put the car down.

....and as for a more modern kit, maybe if you were going with larger then 15" wheels, but as long as you're staying with 15s or smaller, the factory brakes are very good. I think they would be fine with 16s or 17s, but since I've never run those and never will, I can't say for sure.

Or, if yours are already in good shape, just drill the mounting bolt holes out to 9/16 diameter.
Easy Peasy.
Is the geometry of the bolt holes to the spindle the same? We are staying within the family ie 67-72 vs 73+ control arms.

Alan

Or, if yours are already in good shape, just drill the mounting bolt holes out to 9/16 diameter.
Easy Peasy.
I've seen you post that before, but had forgotten about it. That's good info.

Thanks guys, I still would need to plumb in a adjustable proportion valve correct? He doesn’t have one.

-
Back