10" backing plates???

-

Suregrip391

Reaction score
Guys, I have a nice set of the 10" backing plates that had the 10x 1 3/4 shoes on them. They came with my 8 3/4 rear, small bolt pattern axle setup. Im thinking of going large bolt pattern on the rear axles by getting a set of the yukon axles they make. Now, if I go with this, can I use the 10" backing plates still? Or do I need different plates? Im hoping I can keep the same 10" backing plates (one less part to hunt down) so if I can, what application do I use when telling my parts guy I need brake parts with the big bolt pattern stuff (drums, shoes, springs, adjusters, etcc) Thanks.....

If you use a large bolt pattern 10" drum it won't work with those backing plates, they are different. Get some large bolt pattern 10" drum plates from any other car, then just get the brake parts you need from the car you got the plates from. The brake parts are available at auto part stores yet. I believe the wheel cylinders are the same and so are the adjusters. The 10" spring hardware kit should also be the same. I tried the same thing you did with the backing plates and they rubbed on the brake drum. I had a set of 11" cop car brake assemblies from a 1985 Fury lying around so I used them instead. I also went with the Yukon axles. You can also get your brake drums redrilled for the larger pattern, I have never done it but I was told it can be done. Good luck, Keith.

What cars should I look for to get the correct backing plates/drums etcc for use with my 8 3/4 rear? What is interchangable as far as the 4.5" big bolt pattern is concerned??....Thanks.

Most any car with 10" drum brakes. Remember, an 8 3/4 is easier because the axles just unbolt and slide out. Any 1966 and up a-body, b-body, e-body, c-body, even newer Fury, Volare, and Diplomats should work. You could also look for some backing plates on ebay or post a wanted ad on this site for some. All the other parts can be purchased new, including the drum. You can also go with 11" inch brakes, you can find them on c-body cars, cop cars, and hipo mopar cars.

Thanks, I think I will stick with the 10" as I have heard some people "claim" to have issues with the huge 11" rear brakes on A-body's needing adjustable prop valves to "tune" them in and such.......Plus they say its overkill on an A-body. I do not have any experience with this so I cannot say for sure.....Ill look around for some 10" 4.5" bolt pattern rear brake parts,......Thanks again.

-
Back