10" rear drums on 69 Dart

-

mrhinsjc

Reaction score
I have a stock 69 Dart 273. Every source lists the correct size rear drums as 9", except mine are 10", which I can't locate at any of the supply houses. Were these larger brakes an option (car does have front discs)? Any help locating the larger drums would be appreciated.

10" are correct for original disc brake and many if not all V-8 A-Bodies.
In the past few years, the only new ones available on an on again, off again basis have been the Centric 123-63044.
Right now, probably your best bet for new ones is to order some from Summit and hope they get shipped someday.
Centric Parts 123.63044 Centric C-Tek Standard Brake Drums | Summit Racing

Check with Amazon and Rock Auto frequently, too.

Rock Auto lists 9" for all V8s, even 383
Don't believe everything you read. RA (and a lot of others, too) are full of hooey with some of their listings. They even list '66 Darts with 383s- no such animal ever existed (from the factory).

Interesting to note that FVP and Centric use the exact-same part number. That doesn't give me much hope for FVP. See my post here regarding what I know of Centric.

Long story short? Kaput.
Slightly longer? Think "defective boomerang." It ain't comin' back.

The last working part number I found was Dynamic Friction's 365-43007, earlier this month. I can't find those anywhere at the moment either, but it worked more recently than the Centric/FVP number.

Interesting to note that FVP and Centric use the exact-same part number. That doesn't give me much hope for FVP. See my post here regarding what I know of Centric.

Long story short? Kaput.
Slightly longer? Think "defective boomerang." It ain't comin' back.

The last working part number I found was Dynamic Friction's 365-43007, earlier this month. I can't find those anywhere at the moment either, but it worked more recently than the Centric/FVP number.
Thanks for this. Insider information is often the most useful.
I hadn't seen FVP before, but they are using the identical diagrams as Centric. I wonder if assets were acquired by FVP in an ownership swap/shakeup/buyout. Possibly a similar situation as SSBC v2.0.

Don't believe everything you read. RA (and a lot of others, too) are full of hooey with some of their listings. They even list '66 Darts with 383s- no such animal ever existed (from the factory).
A long time ago I learned how parts catalogs, and eventually the digital equivalents thereof, actually get written. It's mostly part-timers who have little to no automotive experience or even knowledge, but can type. A solid percentage of those people are/were full-time college students, who'd already had a full day at class and still probaby have studying ahead of 'em. They're paid by the entry, not by accuracy and generally aren't double-checked. Our system, as well those of O'Reilly, Advance, and Autozone, will occasionally ask you if a particular early 2000s Ford car has four-wheel drums! It's infuriating when you know better, and reveals the dumbass you are if you don't. You've probably been asked equally-stupid question. The computer asks. It's that bad.

Also, there must've been the occasional jokester. We had a catalog back in '90-'91, I think it was maybe McCord (remember them?) or Victor. It listed a "Humber Super Wombat" that was available only in a two-door sport coupe or eight-door limo. It also had an outrageous engine choice, like either a 1.5 L4 or 10L V8--nothing between. There were part numbers and the whole nine, but back then you could only check the viability of such things by ordering and seeing if they came. Humber was real, and had a model called a Super Snipe, but with neither engine. The Super Wombat? I've never found any reference to it other than that one catalog 30+ years ago. Bummer. We thought it was the best car name ever. :D

Thanks for this. Insider information is often the most useful.
I hadn't seen FVP before, but they are using the identical diagrams as Centric. I wonder if assets were acquired by FVP in an ownership swap/shakeup/buyout. Possibly a similar situation as SSBC v2.0.
I can't say for sure, but I carried a few Centric parts and got my first sets of A-body drums dirt cheap through work. None of the Centric stuff has superseded and I've yet to see anything FVP appear in the cataloguing, so like I said my hopes aren't real high. It's possible FVP is simply liquidating leftover Centric inventory they acquired.

A shame that stock drums are NA...mine work great, but they're a wearable item and will need replacing eventually. Anyone left the factory front disc and put in aftermarket rear disc conversion? Lol

A shame that stock drums are NA...mine work great, but they're a wearable item and will need replacing eventually. Anyone left the factory front disc and put in aftermarket rear disc conversion? Lol
The last time the drums were unavailable I was seriously considering doing rear discs. I did a good bit of research, and was going to use Jeep rear discs. It was winter, so I hadn't started junkyard shopping. Then the drums were available, so I got a pair and put the disc plans on hold.
I don't do brake stand burnouts anymore like I used to.

-
Back