10 year Refresh 65 Valiant

-
Today, enlisted some help and got the motor back in his home, 9 months after it's removal. Headers are all protected and hooked up, Will get to the long small list this week, in anticipation of firing it next weekend.

We installed it with the headers already in their spots.. A little tight at first, but a whole lot easier than putting them in afterwards

Before I installed it I primed the oil pump, got good flow on both rocker shafts and all the rockers.

Engine sits better this time, as I had twisted a motor mount back in 2003 on original install.. headers are not as close on the torsion bars now..

All good so far !

Attachments

• IMG_3183.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3184.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3185.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3186.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 145
I really like the work you're doing, Ken. Would you mind if I made a couple of suggestions?

I relocated the battery to the trunk in my '62 Valiant V8 conversion, and almost found out the hard way that you need to run your battery feed through some dense, hard tubing (like trans cooler line) in order to physically protect it. The insulation on most 1-gauge wire is not that thick or hard, and it will wear away if it rubs on the body, steering or suspension - and it will!!. Then it is possible that the battery line will short to ground and your car will burn up! Also, after enclosing the battery line in the hose, inspect it often, from stem to stern, for abrasion.

Second, you say the battery voltage is the same at the battery in the trunk as it is at the other end of the battery line in the engine compartment, but was this under load, or was it a no-load measurement? Remember, Ohm's law provides that the voltage drop will be proportional to the amount of current drawn through the circuit. If you're really concerned about voltage drop to the starter, be sure to measure it when the starter is actually cranking. In my case, the starter cranked just fine, so I never even worried about voltage drop.

Hope you don't think I'm a nitpicker! Again, you are doing really nice work.

All input accepted.. Thanks. I have not put any load to it yet, Hopefully this weekend.

I have installed a circuit breaker on the positive line, at the battery end, in the trunk, to protect against the fire situation.. All the lines are securely mounted with rubberized clamps.

I will check them often.

After a couple of long weekends,I have finally completed this nine month project 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

Spent hours this weekend connecting all the hidden wiring, headlight relays, 4 way flasher relays and putting the fenders, bumper and front end back on. And thankfully all the wiring I ran works great

Yes , the Fram filter will be going soon as the break in oil has been in for 300 miles or so.

I had a couple of hiccups.. put a lock washer by mistake on the one timing cover bolt that is behind the water pump lower hose neck.. caused a slight delay.. And the first set of header gaskets I installed.. were crap, went back to the Felpro composite.. and no more leaking.

Battery is working fine from the trunk, Volt guage is showing 13-9- 14.2 when it is running( charging a bit after sitting)

test and tune still required, but in essence I can rest and DRIVE it. !

Attachments

• IMG_3196.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3195.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3193.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3192.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3194.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3197.jpg