100 amp alter. install help needed

-

74fldart

Reaction score
hi fellas, i want to upgrade my alternator to a 100 amp due to the fact i have installed dual electric cooling fans and my present alter. cant keep the battery charged. at idle i can watch the voltage drop with the car running and the fans on. the alternator checked out fine at the parts store and i put on a new volt. regulator. my battery also checked out fine. anyway i decided i want a 100 amp alternator so i have already bypassed the alternator gauge but should i do anything else before i wire in a 100 amp alter. i dont want to smoke the harness. any thoughts on this?

you'll need to be running some pretty sizeable wiring between the alternator and the battery. Think 6 or 8 ga. Don't forget the fuse link either

Yep I ran 6 for my power master 130 amp unit, run a new wire to the battery, and they also make that unit with a built in regulator and exciter, then you dont need any other wires just the main battery wire brother.. good move too! :)

I ran an 8 ga wire with a 12 ga fusible link at the starter relay stud. WOrks great. Also run the power for the fan relays off the back of the alt.

I ran 6 ga. for the new style Bosch on my RC. I also picked up a special tool for crimping the big copper lugs on.

I used 1/0 welding cable to connect my big amp alternator to the battery in the trunk. The fat 6 or 8 gauge wire are thick and don't bend easily, the 1/0 cable is very flexible.

-
Back