10228 transpak shift kit

-

VH770

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've managed to lose a couple of the springs supplied in the B&M 10228 kit and I haven't been able to find replacements (only option seems to be to buy a whole kit - seems like a waste of $100 for three springs). I've still got a green and a red spring. My question: Is it risking transmission damage if I do all of the following WITHOUT fitting the springs in the valve body?

(a) fit the blocker rod,
(b) fit the restrictor plug (case),
(c) drill the valve body with the B&M drill guide
(d) arrange check balls and separator plate as described in the 10228 instructions

If it will not create a risk of damage, what effects (if any) will it have to do these tasks without fitting the springs? I don't have a thorough enough understanding of how the transmission works to know if it's wise or unwise.

Thanks

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it since the springs and what they change rely completely on the other mods to function correctly.

...........Post the instructions and show us what u got and don't got, what year is the vb, as different years use different springs............kim.......

for the time being i've decided to just fit the 10225 shift kit. 10225 instructions are found here: http://files.dpbrands.com/bm/instructions/10225.pdf if you are unfamiliar, the 10225 mods are as follows:

remove a few check balls
remove 1-2 accumulator piston return spring (interestingly, no blocker rod though)
fit a blocker rod behind the shuttle valve plug (replacing the spring)
fit a 1/4" ball inside the 1-2 shift control valve spring
replace separator plate with B&M supplied plate

i.e. no drilling, no irreversible changes. i'm very happy to undo those mods and perform the 10228 mods but i would want to know if anything i do from 10228 would risk damage IF i dont use all three of the required springs.

for those interested, the 10228 instructions are found here: http://files.dpbrands.com/bm/instructions/10225.pdf

in short, the mods required by the 10228 kit are as follows:
blocker rod in the 1-2 accumulator bore, remove return spring
punch in a steel plug (restrictor) into the case
drill separator plate if required at certain locations (usually not required, probably a pre/post '71 thing)
remove some check balls
drill one wall out of the valve body
swap several VB springs (limit valve spring, throttle valve spring, pressure regulator valve spring)

in other words, the only PARTS required in 10228 are (1) the blocker rod, (2) the restrictor plug, (3) three springs. Thanks very much that'll be $100 :) the blocker rod we all know can be made out of anything. steel tubing 73mm height, for example. I have the restrictor plug from previous kits because the plug isn't used in 904 builds. So it's just an issue of the springs.

i've installed the 10228 before on several torqueflites and that's why i have some parts left over. I definitely have a limit valve spring left over because one of the torqueflites i rebuilt was a 6cyl, and they dont have that assembly. The parts i have are the restrictor plug (step 15), a green spring and a red spring. i would need to fashion a blocker rod (no problem), so my only concern is about the springs (limit valve spring, throttle valve spring, and pressure regulator valve spring).

thanks

-
Back