10X1.75 Rear SHOES

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
Off hand, anyone know the "years" that rear axles came with the 10X1.75 brakes shoes or any information on them. My 69 fronts are the orginal 10X2.25, "not" 9" because it came with a V8. However, the rear 8.75 came from a donar vehicle unknown with the SBP. There seems to be a lot of info on the old small 9" and 10X2.5 and larger sizes along with their years, but I would really like to know more about the 10X1.75 for buying ect.

PS I know their not the best...10X2.5 front and 10X1.75, but they have stopped me in the past two years. I just didn't know the rear was thinner then the front. :scratch:
Thanks.

Jim I'm not positive but I've heard the 10x1.75 was standard size on all the A-body rears. The 8-3/4 in my car is from a 69 Cuda and it has the 10x1.75 brakes. The reason the back ones are smaller is because the front brakes do 65-70% of the stopping so the rears don't have to be as big.

Thanks guys, I was wondering then...I have a extra 7.25 rear 5X4 bolt with 2.25 backing plates/drums and hardware. Would swapping be a good idea as the 7.25 car had the same size on the front as well...as long as I don't go larger on the back??

fishy68 said:
Jim I doubt the backing plates from a 7.25 will bolt onto a 8-3/4. Their axle tubes are smaller diameter.

I could be reading this wrong?

scan0001.jpg

Well by the looks of what you have there Jim it says they will interchange. I haven't tried it. I know the axle tubes are different size but maybe the flanges on the ends are the same and that's what matters.

Even if you drill the fifth hole in the 7.25" backing plate, I don't think it will work properly on the 8.75" rear end. There's something about the way it sits on the axle end, and has to do with the way they're shaped compared to the 8.75", that causes a problem. We had a long thread on here a few months ago about this very same question, but I don't remember who's thread it was. If you can't find the thread let me know and I'll see if I can find it for you.

From what I read on that article, it does not say the backing plates work, just the hardware.....ie. shoes, springs, drums btwn SBP 7 1/4 and sbp 8 3/4. I too don't see that being an accurate swap.

Thanks again guys,...I think I'm just going to leave things alone in this department and live with the 1.75 shoes. I felt I had a freebe coming for a change, :sad: however there's just not enough "positive" go for the swap with the 7 1/4. From what I hear the extra .5 friction isn't worth the problems I could run into doing this.

I'm having a hard time swapping 8.25 brakes to an 8.75. The 2.5 wide shoes are hitting the axle flange. I don't see how the 7.25 would work.

-
Back