11.75" vs stock 73+ 10.97" CALIPERS???

-

dusterdan

Sublime Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm doing the 11.75" disc upgrade on my duster and i have the rotors, spindles, caliper brackets etc....but i need to know. Will stock 73+ A-body calipers work with the bigger 11.75" late B-body rotors? I feel like they wouldn't cover enough area on the rotor? Anyways, thanks for all the input! And i'm under the impression my 73+ MC/brake booster setup will be fine...please correct me if i'm wrong? Thanks, Dan

Yes, the stock calipers work just fine. Some of the later calipers have slightly larger pistons, but the pads are the same size as the earlier calipers.

Reason being is, the 11.75" rotors have the same width braking surface as the smaller 10.8" rotors. Now, just because the width is the same doesn't mean the area is the same- its the same width with a larger circumference, so the pad sweeps out a larger area.

But the biggest advantage is moving the caliper further out from the hub, which increases the leverage. Kinda like putting a cheater bar on your ratchet.

As far as the master cylinder, you should be ok if you keep your stock calipers. You will increase the stopping power in the front, so your front/rear balance will change a little. With my Challenger that was actually a good thing, I found the stock balance to be a little too rear biased anyway. If you do go to later calipers, it will change your bias again because of the larger volume needed for the larger pistons. In that case, it might be best to match the master cylinder to the calipers. The brake booster will be fine.

Thanks 72blueNblue that was exactly what i wanted to know! You've been very helpful, -Dan

Thanks 72blueNblue that was exactly what i wanted to know! You've been very helpful, -Dan

No problem! It's easier once you've actually seen everything bolt together, and since I run the 11.75" rotors on my Challenger I've seen it before. I run the pin type calipers and brackets, but other than that its all pretty much the same. I used the original calipers with no issues.

I also run the larger 11x2.5" rear drums now, helps fill up my 17" rims better and stops the car very well with the 11.75" out front. But that's on big old Challenger, I think on an A-body the 11" rear drums would be overkill. But a finned set of the 10" drums would look pretty killer...

I also run the larger 11x2.5" rear drums now, helps fill up my 17" rims better and stops the car very well with the 11.75" out front. But that's on big old Challenger, I think on an A-body the 11" rear drums would be overkill. But a finned set of the 10" drums would look pretty killer...[/QUOTE]
I run the 11" rear "11.75 front combo and it works fine and stops well. The thing I like most is I have the factory dist. block and so far found no balance issues whatsoever.

72BBSwinger....good insight i was really looking into the adjustable prop valve but i'm going to wait and see how bad my rear wheel lockup is. Hope for the best:)

so will the stock mounting location allow the calipers to fit over the B-body 11.75 rotors? i have a 76 disk brake front end going on my 69 dart and would like the biggest brakes i can easily put on.

so will the stock mounting location allow the calipers to fit over the B-body 11.75 rotors? i have a 76 disk brake front end going on my 69 dart and would like the biggest brakes i can easily put on.

No. To swap over to 11.75" rotors you need the larger caliper brackets that came with them. They move the calipers out further to clear the larger rotors. Since you already have the later spindles and control arms (73-76), to do the swap you'll need the caliper brackets and 11.75 rotors. Some folks have also had to swap their brake hoses, but if you're using the same calipers you shouldn't have to.

Here's an article on how to identify the larger caliper brackets. They usually cost between $100 and $150 on eBay when they show up.

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

theres a 76 fury at the wrecking yard i saw last weekend i wonder if it would be a good donor car. ya iv read that article but im not sure about the sliding vs pin style calipers as this will be my first mopar brake job. i think ill head back to the wrecker on saturday to check it out. so are the brackets, calipers and rotors all that ill need? ill be replacing the brake lines. ill grab the banjo bolts tho.

well i drove a couple hrs to buy some caliper brackets some guy had to do the 11.75" rotor swap and when i got home realised the brackets are for the smaller rotors which i already have on my 76 dart parts car.:banghead: thank god i didnt order my calipers and rotors yet. theres nothing in the junkyards around here either so i guess ill be using the 10.9" brakes. they will be new anyway. :banghead:

thanks hemi71x. ya those are the ones i thought i was getting.

-
Back