114 amp Alternator time?

-

archlab

Reaction score
Since I like a 'bit' of overkill, I'm gonna check out a 114amp Alt for my 1968 B/Cuda (318/4spd). I don't think I'll ever get that much demand for that much power, but I'm planning ahead. What the hey-ll, I can always power my house w/ it!

So, the alternator in question is spec'd as an option for a 1980 ramCharger. Since I've done 2 conversions to 65amp Alts in my B/Cudae with almost total success (I think my wire to Ignition gets too hot at times & starts crankin' the starter while running - I need to put in a higher gauge wire, apparently).

By going up to the 114amp capacity, maybe you guys can give me an idea of what other parts, mounting mods, wiring mods, etc to do to make this work for the B/.Cuda.

Obrigado (Thanks)

You need to pay attention to the ammeter and the main charging wire that runs through it. I don't like the hack-azz "solutions" offered at the (chevy-head) Mad Electric site. I much prefer the clean and technically correct ideas and components from R/T Engineering. They can rework stock ammeters to handle up to 70 amps efficiently, and if you're going over that level they can convert stock ammeters into voltmeters (complete with a new gauge face that looks like factory equipment). They also sell a really good electronic instrument cluster voltage limiter. Their website's got a bunch of really good info on it, but you have to mouse around awhile to find it; the organisation isn't completely obvious. For example, I know there's a pic of one of their voltmeter conversions somewhere on the site, but I can't find it at the moment! Be sure to see this page. They actually have intelligent people who actually answer the phone (and who actually own Mopars, and who actually know what the he|| theyre talking about when it comes to Mopar charging systems...none of which can be said of the Mad electrical people), so if you get fed up trying to find what you want on the site, call them.

If you are going to the trouble of upgrading, you certainly can use the giant, heavy Chrysler 114A alternator, but smaller, lighter, more efficient and easier to adapt will be a Nippondenso 40/90 or 50/120 unit from an '88-'91 Mopar with regular V-belts. Minor bracket mods are all that's needed, and the electrical hookup is the same as any '70-up Mopar alternator.

Wise words Dan. Remember Ohm's law too... if you are pushing more current through any given wire, the resistance of said wire causes a voltage drop. Take measurements at full output to ensure that your v-drop is not excessive, or heat (and potentially fire) will result. We tell our students that anything in excess of 0.5 volts at rated output is a cause for concern.

Thanks Dan.
I always enjoy reading your replies & posts because I usually get good, usable
info from them. Keep up the good work!

And Signet,
Thanks for that info as well. I am gonna upgrade those wires. Incidentally, I returned the 114amp Alt & exchanged for the NipponDenso 120amp. I concur w/ SlantSixDan that the lighter wieight & less modification factors make this one more attractive than the older style 114amp.

Also, what Gauge of wire would ya'll recommend for that 120amp ND? I'm thinking the 6-8ga range?

And, Also. I have already by-passed the old Ammeter & am using a 'trip-guage' setup that has the voltmeter. So, perhaps the upgrades to the old circuitboard aren't necessary? Is there anything else to watch out for in this upgrade?

Sorry for the 100 questions.

You need to pay attention to the ammeter and the main charging wire that runs through it. I don't like the hack-azz "solutions" offered at the (chevy-head) Mad Electric site. I much prefer the clean and technically correct ideas and components from R/T Engineering. They can rework stock ammeters to handle up to 70 amps efficiently, and if you're going over that level they can convert stock ammeters into voltmeters (complete with a new gauge face that looks like factory equipment). They also sell a really good electronic instrument cluster voltage limiter. Their website's got a bunch of really good info on it, but you have to mouse around awhile to find it; the organisation isn't completely obvious. For example, I know there's a pic of one of their voltmeter conversions somewhere on the site, but I can't find it at the moment! Be sure to see this page. They actually have intelligent people who actually answer the phone (and who actually own Mopars, and who actually know what the he|| theyre talking about when it comes to Mopar charging systems...none of which can be said of the Mad electrical people), so if you get fed up trying to find what you want on the site, call them.

If you are going to the trouble of upgrading, you certainly can use the giant, heavy Chrysler 114A alternator, but smaller, lighter, more efficient and easier to adapt will be a Nippondenso 40/90 or 50/120 unit from an '88-'91 Mopar with regular V-belts. Minor bracket mods are all that's needed, and the electrical hookup is the same as any '70-up Mopar alternator.

I looked on the rockauto site and it looks like the '89 alternator uses a serpentine belt. That may be a generic pic though. Exactly which Nippondenso alternator is the easiest to use on an early "A"?

-
Back