120A int. regulate denso?

-

74valiant

Reaction score
im looking to do the denso swap and wanted to know if anyone knew a part number for an internally regulated denso alternator that is 120A or so. i need this for a car with a fairly large aftermaket stereo. not much electrical use besides msd distributor. just want to make sure it wont have any issue keeping up with electrical use. is this overkill??

How many watts is your stereo?

Using basic electrical formulas: P=I*V where P=watts, I=amps, and V= Volts.

You'll probably need about 25 amps headroom to run everything else in your car (lights, ignition, wipers, etc), so if you had lets say a 78 amp alternator, you'd have 53 left for your stereo...so around 750w of a stereo would be able to be run off of that...though its always good to have some headroom. You'll have to do some wiring upgrades to handle this alternator upgrade. The stock charging wires are too small to handle more than 50 amps or so. There are plenty of topics on this.

I like the delco alternators better than the denso...I think they are better built, cheaper to replace, and are also internally regulated. I just posted a topic on installing an older style delco on a small block. check it out in this forum.

well ill be running a deep cycle battery and 2 amps. one is 800 watts and the other is 500watts.im thinnking maybe around 100a or close to would be ok.

1300 watts is ~91 amps at 14.3V. I'm thinking you'll want to run an alternator that creates about 100 amps at idle to have enough headroom so that everything works properly and you have longer alternator life.

Might want to check out one of these powermaster units:
http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/mopar_high_amp.html

The 140 amp they show there is a CS-130 delco, these are OK, not the longest lasting thing i've ever seen. The 200 amp is a CS-144. Those things are tank.

You'll want to use a 4 gauge or larger charging wire as well.

i got a guy at the alternator shop by me that said he can build a 200a alt. for $225. i might just go ahead and have him put one together for me. thought ist was gonna be way overkill, but i guess not. thanks for the help!! by the way, do these alternators have bolt orientation to where they can be put in with no modification??
(besides wiring that is)

jason

i got a guy at the alternator shop by me that said he can build a 200a alt. for $225. i might just go ahead and have him put one together for me. thought ist was gonna be way overkill, but i guess not. thanks for the help!! by the way, do these alternators have bolt orientation to where they can be put in with no modification??
(besides wiring that is)

jason

that's all new wiring harness territory.

STARTERS --- ALTERNATORS --- RELAYS ---CABLES = D. B. Electrical

To get great tech, and accurate answers + professional service & products,

you can not find finer people or prices than DB Electrical in Tennessee.

www.dbelectrical.com <-----50-plus purchases, ZERO issues. The Best!

HTH --- :)

i got a guy at the alternator shop by me that said he can build a 200a alt. for $225.

i might just go ahead and have him put one together for me. thought ist was gonna be way overkill, but i guess not.

thanks for the help!!

jason

You will want a HD relay/junction between the alternator & battery.

www.dbelectrical.com makes a really nice one, comes totally complete.

HTH --- :)

I think you'll have to do some bracket modification...might be minor. Obviously a very big wiring upgrade is in order.

If you think about it, your average new car comes with a roughly 100 amp alternator, and has for a long time. They are only running lights, fans, power windows, locks, maybe a power seat or two, and at most a 200W stereo. Police vehicles come with 150-200amp alternators and would have a loading condition that is much closer to your condition.

If you look at my thread: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=154078 , you shouldn't have to do much more work than that at worst.

74, I got a beast of an alternator out of a 83 D250 camper, you can have it. Its about as big as a large can of coffee. Looks like this
images

just pay the ride from So. Cal.

thanks for the help and the offer on the alt.. my alt. guy said the cores are dime a dozen and it wouldnt be an issue. id probably end up paying more to get it shipped than its worth. thanks though. so will a whole new engine a
harness be in order? what about the interior harness?

-
Back